mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland

Exclamation Britain's DNA Red Head Test Results: Post Them Here Please

I think it might be interesting to collect Britain's DNA "Red Head Test" results in one place for those whose results indicate they are carriers of a red hair variant and those who are full-blown redheads. I would like to see who got what variant and which variants seem to be most common in which places.

I don't have red hair myself, but according to BDNA I am a carrier of the red hair variant Arg160Tryp.

Red Head Test Result page BDNA.jpg Red hair Arg160Trp.png

Arg160Tryp is the SNP rs1805008, and T is the risk allele. Since red hair is a recessive trait, it takes two T's at that location to produce a red-haired phenotype. I know from his Family Finder results that my father is also a carrier of Arg160Tryp. One of his older sisters, my Aunt Lois, was a natural redhead.

My ancestry is mostly British Isles, but I do have one French line (surname Micou) and one Dutch line (surname Snedeker) in my pedigree, both on my father's side.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Iberian/Italian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z279(xM153)
    mtDNA (M)
    L2a1a3c

United States of America Spain Basque Italy Portugal Cuba
    Both my paternal grandmother, and my girlfriend are carriers of the derived SNP rs1805005, they are both heterozygous, not sure what the significance of it is?
    Last edited by jeanL; 12-24-2014 at 08:55 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jeanL For This Useful Post:

rms2 (12-24-2014)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by jeanL View Post
    Both my paternal grandmother, and my girlfriend are carriers of the derived SNP rs1805005, they are both heterozygous, not sure what the significance of it is?
    According to SNPedia that one was "associated with light blond hair color in one study": rs1805005.

Since blond hair is also recessive, one would have to be homozygous there to have blond hair.

I had blond hair as a young boy, and my hair was still pretty light as a teenager, but it went really dark once I hit my twenties and remained that way until it started turning gray.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

I know there are some other people who post here at Anthrogenica with Britain's DNA "Red Head Test" results. I hope you all will post your results in this thread.

Meanwhile, if you have test results from FTDNA (Family Finder), 23andMe, or some other company that show you are a carrier of a red hair variant, please post them here. It would be interesting to see what varieties of red hair variants are out there and what the geographic and/or ethnic connections are.

If you have Family Finder results, you can at least check for rs1805008 (Arg160Tryp), because that SNP is included. T is the risk allele (i.e., if you have at least one T at rs1805008, you are a carrier). I think there are a couple of other red hair variants included in Family Finder, but I don't remember what they are right off hand. I believe there are several of them in 23andMe's test.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Here's a list from 23andMe's blog of some of the red hair variants. Check your Family Finder and 23andMe results for them.

red hair variants 2014.jpg

Note that rs1805008 (Arg160Tryp or Arg160Trp) is also called R160W.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Tįltos (01-01-2015)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    England
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Z284 YP398*
    mtDNA (M)
    W1g

England Poland Norway
    When I was young I was bleach blond, but when I hit my teens it went to a dirty Blond. Now it's a mousy brown/Really really really dirty blond, with a gold tinge to it and even blonder in the sun.

Here are my results,

Red Head.jpg

red head2.jpg

I hope you can see those, I'm awful at posting pictures :/
    Ancestry - 7/8ths English 1/8th Polish.

An anaylysis by Davidski
    "You fit into what I call the North Sea cluster, which includes people who live around the North Sea, like those from eastern England and Scotland, the northern Netherlands, northwest Germany, and western Scandinavia."

"On my system your best population fit is:
    ½ East English, ¼ Norwegian, ¼ North Dutch
    "57% indigenous European hunter-gatherer and 42% Neolithic farmer"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wulf Warrior For This Useful Post:

Anglecynn (12-26-2014),  rms2 (12-27-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a-S2808 FGC34809+
    mtDNA (M)
    I2

Sweden European Union Kalmar Union
    Here are mine. I was a little surprised, as I don't have any redhead relatives at all that I'm aware of. Promethease did find a 'red hair carrier' variant in my mother, but not in me.

I was blond as a kid but darkened in my teens to my present medium brown. Both parents have brown hair (well, had before greying).

redhead1.png

redhead2.png
    GEDmatch kits:
    M606752 (23andMe)
    F367588 (FTDNA)

ySearch & mitoSearch: DK8FB

FTDNA kit: 367588

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Salkin For This Useful Post:

rms2 (12-27-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a-S2808 FGC34809+
    mtDNA (M)
    I2

Sweden European Union Kalmar Union
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Here's a list from 23andMe's blog of some of the red hair variants. Check your Family Finder and 23andMe results for them.
    Looks like rs34474212 was not genotyped by either company. In the rest I seem to lack redhead alleles.
    GEDmatch kits:
    M606752 (23andMe)
    F367588 (FTDNA)

ySearch & mitoSearch: DK8FB

FTDNA kit: 367588

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Salkin For This Useful Post:

rms2 (12-27-2014)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Thanks for posting your results, Wulf Warrior and Salkin.

Interesting that BDNA says that Arg163Gln is a "weak variant". I wonder what they mean by that. Does it produce a duller shade of red, or what?

The Val92Met red hair variant is attributed by the authors of this report to "Neanderthal introgression".

Abstract

Skin color is one of the most visible and important phenotypes of modern humans. Melanocyte-stimulating hormone and its receptor played an important role in regulating skin color. In this paper, we present evidence of Neanderthal introgression encompassing the melanocyte-stimulating hormone receptor gene MC1R. The haplotypes from Neanderthal introgression diverged with the Altai Neanderthal 103.3 KYA, which postdates the anatomically modern human – Neanderthal divergence. We further discovered that all of the putative Neanderthal introgressive haplotypes carry the Val92Met variant, a loss-of-function variant in MC1R that is associated with multiple dermatological traits including skin color and photoaging. Frequency of this Neanderthal introgression is low in Europeans (~5%), moderate in continental East Asians (~30%), and high in Taiwanese aborigines (60-70%). Since the putative Neanderthal introgressive haplotypes carry a loss-of-function variant that could alter the function of MC1R and is associated with multiple traits related to skin color, we speculate that the Neanderthal introgression may have played an important role in the local adaptation of Eurasians to sunlight intensity.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Salkin (12-29-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish, Scots, Quebecoise
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland Canada Quebec
    I'm rs1805008 CT

My Dad's first cousin on his Quinn side (Derry) has red hair and my Mom had auburn hair. Most of my Dad's side is dark brow/black and my Mom's side is brown/auburn/blonde. My daughter has dark brown hair.
    Y-DNA R-DF23>ZP149>ZP171 MDKA Thomas Doherty, b. 1825, Three Trees, Donegal, Ireland.
    mtDNA T2g1 MDKA Francoise Arguin, b. 1698, Camaret-Sur-Mer, Bretagne, France

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MacEochaidh For This Useful Post:

rms2 (12-27-2014)

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast