View Poll Results: What should be done with the Current Affairs section?

Voters
35. This poll is closed
  • Keep the section; albeit hidden with an "opt-in" feature for those who want to discuss

21 60.00%
  • Remove the section; it has no place on this forum

10 28.57%
  • Indifferent

4 11.43%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Community Poll: Current Affairs Section's Future

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA (M)
    D4j5*

Community Poll: Current Affairs Section's Future

Dear members,

Following some feedback we received yesterday concerning the Current Affairs section here at Anthrogenica, the administration has explored some options regarding the future of this section.

As explained previously, the reason for this section's inclusion in contrast to DNA-Forums was as follows:

1) Topics pertaining to current affairs (and religion) did sneak their way into random parts of DNA-Forums (although the latter proved more troublesome). As this forum places an additional emphasis on all aspects of anthropology, we perceived the likelihood of politics being discussed to be greater. Therefore, a dedicated section would have given our future admin a better scope of moderating that form of traffic.
    2) There was no indication what reception such a section would receive once our community grew. Evidently, this is no longer the case.
    As we have flourished as a community and have received some opinions on this section since launching, we are now asking the community to assist us in determining its' future.

There are benefits and drawbacks to having a dedicated section to current affairs/politics in a forum, particularly one focused on genetics and anthropology. Some have been previously addressed. Others likely exist. Regardless of the numerous considerations, we want to know how the community perceives its' inclusion at this point in time.

One solution we are proposing is repackaging the Current Affairs section as a hidden one requiring those wishing to participate in it to "opt-in" by contacting a member of staff. This will leave members who don't "opt-in", as well as guests, from viewing the section at all. Please note moderation will still take place in this section. The precise details of this will be elaborated upon at a later date, should it be nominated by the community. We are putting an emphasis on this option as it allows everyone irrespective of their position on discussing politics online to continue their activity here as they'd prefer. Thanks to LUKE33 for giving us this suggestion.

With the above in mind, I encourage all members to cast their votes regarding whether the Current Affairs section should exist in the form described above or be removed from the forum completely. This poll will remain open indefinitely until enough votes have been secured to indicate a majority opinion.

Finally, please note the Current Affairs section will be temporarily closed whilst votes are being received. Viewing the section at the index page will, for the time being, redirect to this thread.

From the outset and in contrast with DNA-Forums, we intended this forum to be community-driven. Most of our decisions since launch have been dictated by what you, our members, want to see featured here. I hope our members acknowledge this request and make their voices heard regarding this section's future.

Thank you all for your kind attention.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

AJL (04-20-2014),  Jean M (04-20-2014),  lgmayka (04-20-2014),  LUKE33 (04-19-2014),  Mehrdad (04-20-2014),  Sein (04-19-2014),  Táltos (04-20-2014)

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    Netherlands
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312-Z195

Netherlands Ireland France Belgium Scotland
    No problem with that.
    If people can't discuss, they should avoid it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

DMXX (04-19-2014),  Mehrdad (04-20-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

I think by and large its been useful but there has been some party politics creep in and plain old naughty stirring of the pot for fun by some lovable rogues

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (04-19-2014),  DMXX (04-19-2014),  LUKE33 (04-19-2014),  Mehrdad (04-20-2014)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z18271
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    U7a5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    We have great quality posters here, I think the current affairs section shouldn't be a problem as long as we argue like gentlemen... Or at least educated folks (keep it civil, no insults and smearing).
    No shaming, no beating around the bush and everything should be fine.

I personally do not care about one's political views, as long as you can make a package out of it and let it in the current affairs section I'm totally fine with it.
    Holding abhorrent views (as I guess some of mine are to some) doesn't necessarily mean you cannot write good posts when addressing other topics.
    Last edited by Agamemnon; 04-19-2014 at 09:39 PM.
    מכורותיך ומולדותיך מארץ הכנעני אביך האמורי ואמך חתית
    יחזקאל פרק טז ג-

᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

DMXX (04-19-2014),  LUKE33 (04-19-2014),  Mehrdad (04-20-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

I suggest keeping it as is, with no changes. Participation is purely optional, and the negative comments seemed to be from people who prefer not to see political opinions and factual data that they disagree with. The solution seems pretty obvious - if you are stressed out by participating in political discussions, don't participate in that forum.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (04-19-2014),  BMG (04-20-2014),  DMXX (04-19-2014),  Mehrdad (04-20-2014),  mnd (04-20-2014),  Sein (04-19-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>L2
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a1a1a

United States Grand Union United Kingdom Ireland France Germany
    I would personally like to see it gone, I feel it is the topic most likely to draw lowbrow posters. Anthrogenica is unique in the sense the discussion is DNA based rather than race based, and the quality of individuals posting is superior to most sites.

I would like politics left to less DNA based forums like ABF. If we're going to keep the political discussion, keeping it hidden from non-members may cut down on people coming to the site to discuss politics then cluttering DNA discussion with phenotype discussion. I would hate to see this forum slip into the ranks of a race forum.
    FTDNA: 249550
    Ysearch: 4U6FY

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Alpine Hominin For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (04-20-2014),  alan (04-19-2014),  DMXX (04-19-2014),  GabeGibeau (04-19-2014),  leonardo (04-19-2014),  lgmayka (04-20-2014),  Mehrdad (04-20-2014),  rms2 (04-20-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA (M)
    D4j5*

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Hominin View Post
    ...keeping it hidden from non-members may cut down on people coming to the site to discuss politics then cluttering DNA discussion with phenotype discussion...
    I should have been more specific in the opening post - If the Current Affairs section is to stay, it will only be visible to members who opt-in. Guests, as well as members who've intentionally not opted-in, won't be able to view it.

I'll amend the opening post to clarify this.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (04-20-2014),  Alpine Hominin (04-19-2014),  BMG (04-20-2014),  leonardo (04-19-2014),  Mehrdad (04-20-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2103>Y14416

Anthrogenica is unique place to discuss and communicate about human DNA with people from around the world. I trip over people wanting to discuss politics. There is nothing unique about current event discussions at all.
    It would be hard to keep politics out of Anthrogenica completely. The French and DNA or the FDA crackdown on 23andme are two examples. Let's just try not to let politics get in the way of the science. That includes making this a comfortable place for everybody of all stripes.
    Bottom line for me is keep the Current Affairs open unless it gets in the way of the science.
    Last edited by Joe B; 04-19-2014 at 10:23 PM.
    YFull R1b-M269>L23>Z2103>Z2106>Z2108>Y14512>Y20971>Y22199, ISOGG R1b1a1a2a2c1b Y14416, FTDNA R-M64

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joe B For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (04-20-2014),  basque (04-20-2014),  DMXX (04-19-2014),  Mehrdad (04-20-2014),  mnd (04-20-2014),  Táltos (04-20-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c9a

I must say, I was rather torn by the question posed, but, in the name of freedom of speech, voted to keep the section. I have participated in a number of forums where things can get rather down and dirty when it comes to discussions such as these. This forum has been free of such things for the most part, concentrating of my first loves: genetics and anthropology. I do feel obliged to comment that I have seen an increase in politically charged posts recently, so I can see why some have raised this concern. With me being a strongly opinionated person, I have had to exercise every ounce of self control not to respond with passion to these recent posts.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leonardo For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (04-20-2014),  basque (04-20-2014),  DMXX (04-19-2014),  Mehrdad (04-20-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>L2
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a1a1a

United States Grand Union United Kingdom Ireland France Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    I should have been more specific in the opening post - If the Current Affairs section is to stay, it will only be visible to members who opt-in. Guests, as well as members who've intentionally not opted-in, won't be able to view it.

I'll amend the opening post to clarify this.
    I think this would be a good middle ground solution. I would change my vote in the poll if I could. The members of this site generally seem capable of civil political discussion.
    FTDNA: 249550
    Ysearch: 4U6FY

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alpine Hominin For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (04-20-2014),  DMXX (04-19-2014),  Mehrdad (04-20-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast