Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Q1b and Significant STRs

  1. #11
    Administrator
    Posts
    2,362
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

    Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    One of my brother's new matches is a GD of 6 at the 67 marker. When I look at this man's STRs to compare, at DYS425 he has nothing listed. No zero, zip , nada, it is blank. Every Q1b that I can see has a value of 0 listed here. Because this new match has a blank at this marker he is counted at a GD of 6. I am wondering if it is reasonable for me to infer that he and my brother are really at a GD of 5 because it is always 0 at this marker for a Q1b? If anyone knows, or has an opinion I would most appreciate it.
    Bump. Anybody? Any thoughts?

  2. #12
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,718
    Sex

    My understanding is that FTDNA used to declare a Null after 3 tries. More recently, FTDNA (at least sometimes) tries to find the cause of the apparent Null, which may be a nearby SNP. If so, FTDNA may then use alternative primers to read the actual STR value.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

     Mehrdad (04-21-2014),  palamede (04-16-2014)

  4. #13
    Administrator
    Posts
    2,362
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

    Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    My understanding is that FTDNA used to declare a Null after 3 tries. More recently, FTDNA (at least sometimes) tries to find the cause of the apparent Null, which may be a nearby SNP. If so, FTDNA may then use alternative primers to read the actual STR value.
    Thanks, yes I had read that somewhere too about declaring a Null after three tries. I'm just confused why at DYS425, FTDNA left it completely blank for this guy. I am starting to wonder if it is some kind of "buggy" glitch in the FTDNA website? If it is blank space for this marker in the project one would think it should read 0 there. Especially as every Q1b has a 0 at this marker. Well this could be a first, so I shouldn't assume. His father line also has a very interesting history. FTDNA is counting this blank space as part of the GD. This makes me wonder if this man is missing matches that he should have because of the lack of an actual 0 there as place holder. Place holder maybe not the best words to describe, but to show there is some kind of number there not a blank space.
    Last edited by Tįltos; 04-16-2014 at 04:16 AM.

  5. #14
    Registered Users
    Posts
    103
    Sex
    Location
    Russia
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Nationality
    Russian Federation
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q1b1a (L245)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2

    Russian Federation Ukraine Israel Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    Thanks, yes I had read that somewhere too about declaring a Null after three tries. I'm just confused why at DYS425, FTDNA left it completely blank for this guy. I am starting to wonder if it is some kind of "buggy" glitch in the FTDNA website? If it is blank space for this marker in the project one would think it should read 0 there. Especially as every Q1b has a 0 at this marker. Well this could be a first, so I shouldn't assume. His father line also has a very interesting history. FTDNA is counting this blank space as part of the GD. This makes me wonder if this man is missing matches that he should have because of the lack of an actual 0 there as place holder. Place holder maybe not the best words to describe, but to show there is some kind of number there not a blank space.
    See also: Null425 Project https://www.familytreedna.com/public...?section=goals
    For all Q-L245 DYS425=Null. Sometimes null is denoted 0 (it is wrong).
    Ex oriente lux
    Hidden Content

  6. #15
    Administrator
    Posts
    2,362
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

    Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by Шад View Post
    For all Q-L245 DYS425=Null. Sometimes null is denoted 0 (it is wrong).
    So when you say it is wrong, do you mean DYS425 is part of DYF371? In the Null425 Project it shows Q-L245=10c-10c-13c-15c at DYF371. Please forgive my confusion.

  7. #16
    Registered Users
    Posts
    103
    Sex
    Location
    Russia
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Nationality
    Russian Federation
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q1b1a (L245)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2

    Russian Federation Ukraine Israel Kazakhstan
    DYF371 is a multicopy, palindromic region marker. Includes the DYS425 marker & can be informative in cases of null values at that marker.
    DYS425, when it can be measured, is very stable. However it is actually one copy of a multiple part marker, DYF371 (below), and as such recLOH mutations can often make it unmeasurable when the other copies overwrite it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Y-STR_markers

    NULL means the inability to correct measurement.
    Ex oriente lux
    Hidden Content

  8. #17
    Administrator
    Posts
    2,362
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

    Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by Шад View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Y-STR_markers

    NULL means the inability to correct measurement.
    Шад thanks for the taking the time to explain this to me, (Null DYS425, DYF371). But because as you mentioned that for all Q-L245 DYS425=Null, why does FTDNA list nothing at this marker for this man? I'm sorry if as the saying goes I'm beating a dead horse with this question. I just find it weird that FTDNA would not denote 0 for this match at DYS425.

    Here are the differences between my brother and this match that makes FTDNA say the GD=6.


    My brother CDY=32-39 DYS442=12 DYS425=0 DYS557=16 DYS444=11
    His match CDY=34-38 DYS442=13 DYS425= DYS557=17 DYS444=12
    Last edited by Tįltos; 04-21-2014 at 05:20 PM.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tįltos For This Useful Post:

     Mehrdad (04-21-2014)

  10. #18
    Administrator
    Posts
    2,362
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

    Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    I am starting to wonder if it is some kind of "buggy" glitch in the FTDNA website?
    Well in looking at my own FF matches at FTDNA today I realized I'm missing my five most recent matches. So this just prompted me to look at my brother's Y DNA matches. Lo and behold they actually did something right! This match that I have been talking about is now at a GD of 5 this morning and not a GD of 6. When I looked at his markers though FTDNA still kept his DYS425 a blank space. Still it's progress, and I don't feel like I'm losing my mind anymore!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. I got my 111 strs
    By anatolianfarmer in forum N
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2019, 07:32 PM
  2. Multiple STRs
    By Razr795 in forum Z253
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2019, 03:16 AM
  3. News Concerning STRs and Big Y
    By GTC in forum FTDNA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-12-2018, 09:32 PM
  4. Triangulation- how significant ?(Triangulator)
    By firemonkey in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2017, 02:41 AM
  5. what haplogroup of these STRs?
    By rock in forum Other
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 05:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •