Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152>L2>FGC10543
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1-T152C!

United States of America Italy 1861-1946 Spain

Full Genome of Mesolithic Man from La Braña

The full genome of the male Mesolithic skeleton from La Braña has been sequenced and will be published "in a few weeks" according to this article:

http://leonoticias.com/frontend/leon...n132622-vst306

As per the article, the Mesolithic man had blue eyes as he had the same mutation that causes blue eyes in Northern Europeans. The man groups closest with modern day Northern Europeans but there are still differences due to the genetic input that modern Northern Europeans received from Neolithic farmers.

Are we taking bets on what Y-haplogroup he belonged to?
    Paternal: R1b-U152 >> L2 >> FGC10543 >> PR5365, Pietro Rocca, b. 1559, Agira, Sicily, Italy
    Maternal: H4a1-T152C!, Maria Coto, b. ~1864, Galicia, Spain
    Mother's Paternal: J1+ FGC4745/FGC4766+ PF5019+, Gerardo Caprio, b. 1879, Caposele, Avellino, Campania, Italy
    Father's Maternal: T2b-C150T, Francisca Santa Cruz, b.1916, Garganchon, Burgos, Spain
    Paternal Great (x3) Grandfather: R1b-U106 >> L48 >> CTS2509, Filippo Ensabella, b.~1836, Agira, Sicily, Italy

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to R.Rocca For This Useful Post:

ADW_1981 (12-10-2013),  Bernard (12-11-2013),  haleaton (12-10-2013),  Jean M (12-10-2013),  lgmayka (12-10-2013),  Michał (12-11-2013),  NK19191 (01-18-2014),  nuadha (12-11-2013),  rms2 (01-04-2014)

I would be somewhat surprised if he doesn't come out carrying Y-DNA I2 and and mtDNA U5.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

I I captain :0). If its R1b I better get me hat into the slow cooker for a few days to tenderise it a bit.

Does prove the feeling I have had for a long time that blue eyes had to be present in the Mesolithic people of western Europe. I couldnt see how otherwise blue eyes would be so dominant in Ireland despite being a recessive trait. It strikes me that it is extremely improbably for a population to become dominantly light eyed if this was not already a core trait among the early settlers seems very difficult to imagine. Ireland has a higher level of blue or blue-green eyes (around 70%), one of the highest it the world (only the Baltic surpassing it - although grey rather than blue is big there), and also has a higher north European autosomal component than England which means that a great deal of the north European component must be prehistoric rather than down to later movements. I cannot conceive of any origin for this other than absorbtion of Mesolithic genes by Neolithic farmers on a grand scale - whether or not that took place locally in Ireland or in mainland Atlantic Europe before reaching Ireland. There is also a very high level of blue eyes in west highland Scotland and not just in areas where there is a Norse input. It kind of supports the Hooton type notion that Ireland had a large absorbtion of hunters into the Neolithic population after an early phase where they may have remained separate for a couple of centuries. I think this probably applies across NW Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard A. Rocca View Post
    The full genome of the male Mesolithic skeleton from La Braña has been sequenced and will be published "in a few weeks" according to this article:

As per the article, the Mesolithic man had blue eyes as he had the same mutation that causes blue eyes in Northern Europeans. The man groups closest with modern day Northern Europeans but there are still differences due to the genetic input that modern Northern Europeans received from Neolithic farmers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

rms2 (01-04-2014)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b A7066+, BY50830+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a2 - FGS
    Y-DNA (M)
    ?
    mtDNA (P)
    I2

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    mesolithic European + blue eyes = heresy!

From the data it does look like the Middle-East brought farming to Europe but also seemed to have brown eyes rather than blue.
    I had speculated before that blue eyes had been a mutation in one of these mtDNA U women that must have been present in the stone age of Europe. It might also explain why some Central Asian tribes also carry the same light eye mutation(s). There is a predisposition to many of these women being subclades of mtDNA U, primarily U5 and U4.

If I recall correctly the Dodecad Admixture ran resulted in : North European + South European SNPs only. I would guess a YDNA subclade of R1 or I. We should also consider extinct lines within these two trees as men have a funny way of killing each other off.

Another consideration should also be E-V13, but I suspect this line may have only spread to western Europe since the neolithic period.
    Last edited by ADW_1981; 12-10-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2103>Y14416

Google translate
    The 'Leon' Mesolithic akin to northern European citizen
    The CSIC presented for the first time ever the complete genome of Mesolithic man / would explain adaptation to animal-borne diseases
    The researcher Carles Lalueza-Fox, who participated this week in the second lecture in the series 'Arqueoleón II' organized by the Museo de Leon threw any of the information that has been collected now, although the study is "embargoed" until publication "within weeks". Man of the brane, ie, Brana 1 had blue eyes "for the same mutation which citizens of Northern Europe have blue," so that "in this regard, I would like the current European" .
    I vote aye.
    Last edited by Joe B; 12-10-2013 at 07:54 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe B For This Useful Post:

ADW_1981 (12-11-2013)

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United Kingdom

As per the article, the Mesolithic man had blue eyes as he had the same mutation that causes blue eyes in Northern Europeans.
    Oh golly! I owe Alan a Guinness.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

rms2 (01-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ADW_1981 View Post
    mesolithic European + blue eyes = heresy!

From the data it does look like the Middle-East brought farming to Europe but also seemed to have brown eyes rather than blue.
    I had speculated before that blue eyes had been a mutation in one of these mtDNA U women that must have been present in the stone age of Europe. It might also explain why some Central Asian tribes also carry the same light eye mutation(s). There is a predisposition to many of these women being subclades of mtDNA U, primarily U5 and U4.

If I recall correctly the Dodecad Admixture ran resulted in : North European + South European SNPs only. I would guess a YDNA subclade of R1 or I. We should also consider extinct lines within these two trees as men have a funny way of killing each other off.

Another consideration should also be E-V13, but I suspect this line may have only spread to western Europe since the neolithic period.
    There isn't much mtdna U4 or U5 in Central Asia as far as I know.

I do wonder if there something like Y-DNA R1c, R3 or I3 lineage. Probably more likely in the east though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean M View Post
    Oh golly! I owe Alan a Guinness.
    I always thought it would be unlikely that Mesolithic Europeans were not light eyed. So I guess that theory of an origin for blue eyes north of the Black Sea is out the window. What about the origins for green eyes? If Neolithic farmers did carry mutations for light eyes (which I have always doubted since virtually EVERY part of Central Asia, West Asia, North Africa, South Asia and the Caucasus has been home to either Indo-European or European migrations of some sort) I think green eyes would be more likely (that is unless the theory that a having a certain combination of mutations that code for blue and brown eyes leads to green eyes is true).

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b A7066+, BY50830+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a2 - FGS
    Y-DNA (M)
    ?
    mtDNA (P)
    I2

If anyone has connections to this research group, please post in the thread. I would gladly help fund research on sample 2. I am only one person, but every few hundred dollars helps!

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b A7066+, BY50830+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a2 - FGS
    Y-DNA (M)
    ?
    mtDNA (P)
    I2

Quote Originally Posted by newtoboard View Post
    There isn't much mtdna U4 or U5 in Central Asia as far as I know.

I do wonder if there something like Y-DNA R1c, R3 or I3 lineage. Probably more likely in the east though.
    I'm quite sure Kalash were U4 from a 10 year old study - I bet they are actually downstream of U4. There are also several South-Central Asians who are my own group of U4b1a2.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ADW_1981 For This Useful Post:

newtoboard (12-10-2013)

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast