Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius China India Madagascar

Question X Chromosome ethnicities?

I put this as a comment on another thread but I thought I would ask on here instead so that it didn't get lost. On Dr Mcdonalds BGA for my mother's data my mother's X chromosomes one is almost entirely East Asian which I'm sure came from her father so does that mean my grandfather's maternal line was likely East Asian origin? Or am I getting the wrong idea here? Unfortunately I don't know any of his family to get them tested and he passed away over a decade ago.
    AncestryDNA - 77% European, 12% Asian, 9% African, 1% Native American, 1% Pacific Islander
    23andme - 78.7% European, 10.2% East Asian and Native American, 7.5% Subsaharan African, 2.7% South Asian, 0.1% North African, 0.8% unassigned
    DNA.Land - 77% West Eurasian, 12% East Asian, 9.7% African, 1.9% Ambiguous
    DNA Tribes - 72.6% European, 10.4% Subsaharan African, 7.8% Asian, 7.1% South Asian, 2.1% Amerindian

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106-DF98
    mtDNA
    T2b2b - Irish

Ireland Scotland United Kingdom Canada Netherlands Northern Ireland
    For X-chromosome haplogroup stuff - I am T2b2b - and it appears via the geographical data per FTDNA that it's most common in Ireland. That lines up with my paper well as my maternal line is from Western Ireland - probably SW or Roscommon. Second most common (about half the kits) in England and Scotland and Wales etc. Don't know if that helps... what does FTDNA say about geographical matches for your haplogroup?
    Y-DNA: MDKA: 4th GGF Adam Weaver born 1785 in Pennsylvania - Sergeant in US 17th Infantry, War of 1812: R1b-U106-Z381-Z156-Z304/306-DF98-S1911-S1894/S1900-S4004/FGC14818/FGC14823-FGC14816/FGC14817. I share these SNPs w/ Roman "Gladiator or Soldier" skeleton #3 from 6 Driffield cemetery SW of York!

mtDNA: MDKA: 3rd GGM Bridget Dana circa 1843 in Ireland - MtDNA - T2b2b - most common in Ireland, but with connection to Scandinavia aka T2b female warrior burial Grave Bj 581 near Birka, Sweden.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    I think you're a bit confused. You speak of "X-chromosome haplogroup stuff", but your T2b2b refers to your mitochondrial haplogroup, which has nothing to do with your X chromosome.

Rather than go into the distinction here, you might take a look at the following articles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_chromosome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_DNA
    The short explanation of my ancestry is British-German-Catalan, but it actually includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw and probably Cherokee. My avatar picture is of my father, his father, and his father's father. The baby in the picture is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

Quote Originally Posted by JFWinstone View Post
    I put this as a comment on another thread but I thought I would ask on here instead so that it didn't get lost. On Dr Mcdonalds BGA for my mother's data my mother's X chromosomes one is almost entirely East Asian which I'm sure came from her father so does that mean my grandfather's maternal line was likely East Asian origin? Or am I getting the wrong idea here? Unfortunately I don't know any of his family to get them tested and he passed away over a decade ago.
    Generally, a woman's X chromosomes will not be phased -- just like her autosomes. She has two copies, and it usually isn't possible to distinguish them in the data file. Because you only have one X chromosome, yours will essentially be automatically phased. By "phased", I mean where the results are reported as individual SNPs on each copy of each pair of autosomes and X chromosomes, rather than reported as pairs.

However, it's entirely possible that your mother's paternal grandmother was East Asian. If she was, I'd expect East Asian to show on at least some of the autosomes, too. But the X chromosome would be different because it would not have been recombined between the time that your father's mother passed it on to him, and the time he passed on a copy to your mother.

It looks to me as if the test results you're showing may very well support the possibility of an Asian great grandparent. The amount of DNA you'd expect to inherit, on average, would be about 12.5%.
    The short explanation of my ancestry is British-German-Catalan, but it actually includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw and probably Cherokee. My avatar picture is of my father, his father, and his father's father. The baby in the picture is my eldest brother.

GB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

JFWinstone (04-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

Thank you for your response. I'm attaching my mother's chromosome painting from Dr Mcdonald to this thread kimFAncestryDNABGA1.png. My mum gets East Asian in her results about 22%-30% between the different companies.
    AncestryDNA - 77% European, 12% Asian, 9% African, 1% Native American, 1% Pacific Islander
    23andme - 78.7% European, 10.2% East Asian and Native American, 7.5% Subsaharan African, 2.7% South Asian, 0.1% North African, 0.8% unassigned
    DNA Tribes - 72.6% European, 10.4% Subsaharan African, 7.8% Asian, 7.1% South Asian, 2.1% Amerindian

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

Quote Originally Posted by JFWinstone View Post
    Thank you for your response. I'm attaching my mother's chromosome painting from Dr Mcdonald to this thread kimFAncestryDNABGA1.png. My mum gets East Asian in her results about 22%-30% between the different companies.
    Yes, that seems about what you'd expect if one of her grandparents is East Asian. Since one of her X chromosomes seems to show recent recombination between Europe and the Middle East, I'd guess that one is from your mother's mother. The one that doesn't show recent recombination is probably from your mother's father. Therefore, I'd say your mother's Asian grandparent was likely her paternal grandmother -- or your maternal grandfather's mother.

The X chromosome is fascinating to me, because of the way it's passed on. When passed on by a father, it it is simply a copy of whatever he inherited from his mother. When passed on by a mother, it may be a recombination of the two X chromosomes she received from her parents -- but she can also pass on a copy of either X, without recombination.

Among my siblings, this is what happened to one two of us. My first brother and first sister appear to have a copy of the X chromosome our mother inherited from her father, with no DNA from our grandmother. The rest of us inherited maternal X chromosomes that include DNA from both maternal grandparents, although mine is mainly from my maternal grandfather. The only part from my grandmother is about 30 cM surrounding the centromere.

This is handy when trying to determine how I'm related to people who happen to match me on the X. Unless we match close to the centromere, I can look to my mother's paternal grandmother. Unfortunately, that has also convinced me that she wasn't the woman she was always said to have been. But that's a story for another time.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

My mum is mixed race from very different ethnicities so it is very easy to tell the two X apart as my mother is half british and half mauritian. Her mum was South West English and her father was Mauritian
    Last edited by JFWinstone; 04-04-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

I'm afraid I don't know much about Mauritius; except I did know that it's in Indian Ocean, over a thousand miles off the southeast coast of Africa.

When I looked it up, I was slightly puzzled because the article I looked at mentioned that it has an ethnically mixed population -- which didn't surprise me -- but mostly African and Indian. I remembered you mention that your mother was showing a lot of East Asian, not South Asian.

But I did a bit of a Google search, and found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurit...Chinese_origin

Is it possible your mother's father's mother came from this group?

EDIT: Would an admin please delete this post (it's duplicated by the following one, but I added an edit to that one that I'd like to keep). I tried to delete it myself, but I couldn't see where to do that.
    Last edited by geebee; 04-04-2017 at 07:21 PM.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

I'm afraid I don't know much about Mauritius; except I did know that it's in Indian Ocean, over a thousand miles off the southeast coast of Africa.

When I looked it up, I was slightly puzzled because the article I looked at mentioned that it has an ethnically mixed population -- which didn't surprise me -- but mostly African and Indian. I remembered you mention that your mother was showing a lot of East Asian, not South Asian.

But I did a bit of a Google search, and found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurit...Chinese_origin

Is it possible your mother's father's mother came from this group?

(There do also appear to be a number of both South Asian segments, and African in the painting. Seems to fit very nicely with what you've said.)

GB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

JFWinstone (04-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

Mauritian genetics are rather diverse because of slavery and indentured labour plus there wasn't any indigenous people there. The main areas that they came from were Madagascar, Mozambique, India and various areas of East Asia. Trying to unravel it has been rather interesting.

Her Wegene breakdown was interesting (aside from the European which was just bonkers).

Chinese 19.76%
    Naxi/Yi 8.57%
    Southern Han Chinese 5.22%
    Gaoshan 4.33%
    Dai 1.28%
    She 0.33%

Southeast Asian 2.3%
    Cambodian 2.29%

Northeast Asian 1.26%
    Japanese 1.14%
    Yakut 0.11%

South Asian 6.52%
    Sindhi 3.63%
    Bengali 2.71%
    Indian 0.17%

African 16.56%
    Yoruba 12.52%
    BantuSA 3.29%
    Mbuti 0.74%

Oceanian 1.53%
    Papuan 1.53%

DNA.Land

West Eurasian 60%
    Northwest European 43%
    Finnish 7.9%
    Gujarati 3.9%
    Dravidian 1.3%
    Kalash 1.9%
    Southwestern European 1.3%
    South European 1.1%

East Asian 22%
    Central Chinese 7.6%
    Japanese/Korean 3.9%
    Southeast Asian 4.3%
    Cambodian/Thai 3.8%
    Taiwanese 2.4%

African 14%
    Lower Niger Valley 5.4%
    Senegal River Valley 2.1%
    East African 6.8%

Native Oceanian 2%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast