Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: How do companies determine your y haplogroup and how many results do you need?

  1. #1

    How do companies determine your y haplogroup and how many results do you need?

    I'm just wondering. I'm not sure how good of a Y chromosome I have I have kind of an intersex condition. I didn't know actually until I did ancestrydna. They don't provide haplogroups but they let you see the raw data if you download it. I looked at it. And it says I have 125 results for my y chromosome I didn't know that the y chromosome is actually pretty small too. So I'm not sure if 125 is small or not especially since I'm of African descent so its harder to match African DNA than European. But I have looked up a few of the results about 20 so no more than 30 results. And I found I think two that actually were connected to the I haplogroup. I'm curious as to what happens if I have more than just those haplogroups from I? How do they decide which haplogroup to put me in?

  2. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    172
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario
    Ethnicity
    "Celto-Germanic"
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-Z140+ Y7198?

    Canada Netherlands Scotland Ireland Northern Ireland England
    What do you mean by 125 results? They usually decide haplogroups by whst SNPs you've tested for.
    Y-DNA: I-Z140 (Y7198^?) (Scotland)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 (Ireland), R-L21 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Autosomal FF: 100% European (57% West/Central, 36% British Isles, 7% Scandinavian)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    What do you mean by 125 results? They usually decide haplogroups by whst SNPs you've tested for.
    On my raw data I had 125 results for the y chromosome. So 125 SNP results. I looked them up and only found 2 results that mentioned haplogroup

  4. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,686
    Sex

    Ancestry v2 tested a lot more Y-DNA SNPs than Ancestry v1 but neither even come close to what BigY, FullGenomes, or YSEQ WGS are capable of testing. The Ancestry v2 results should only be used to determine if a specific SNP pack can be skipped and a more specific SNP pack purchased. Otherwise Ancestry Y-DNA SNPs are almost useless.
    Last edited by ArmandoR1b; 02-11-2017 at 01:16 PM.

  5. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    96
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by jaderose22 View Post
    On my raw data I had 125 results for the y chromosome. So 125 SNP results. I looked them up and only found 2 results that mentioned haplogroup
    Are you female and worried you have Y chromosome results?
    I think this was noticed before - the so called chip (microarray ) technology is using plates with coded SNPs to compare to your own. However, those plates got reused up to 20 times, I think. They are cleaned somehow before that, but it is not excluded some DNA from the previous tested may have remained. There is a higher risk if the previous tested was a male and the next female, and you can't override his Y chromosome DNA, so the strange results.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmandoR1b View Post
    Ancestry v2 tested a lot more Y-DNA SNPs than Ancestry v1 but neither even come close to what BigY, FullGenomes, or YSEQ WGS are capable of testing. The Ancestry v2 results should only be used to determine if a specific SNP pack can be skipped and a more specific SNP pack purchased. Otherwise Ancestry Y-DNA SNPs are almost useless.
    What is bigY FullGenomes or Yseq wgs?



    Quote Originally Posted by eastara View Post
    Are you female and worried you have Y chromosome results?
    I think this was noticed before - the so called chip (microarray ) technology is using plates with coded SNPs to compare to your own. However, those plates got reused up to 20 times, I think. They are cleaned somehow before that, but it is not excluded some DNA from the previous tested may have remained. There is a higher risk if the previous tested was a male and the next female, and you can't override his Y chromosome DNA, so the strange results.
    Well a man usually wouldn't have my y chromosome. Because I have sltwo sex reversal genes on my y chromosome.

  7. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,686
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by jaderose22 View Post
    What is bigY FullGenomes or Yseq wgs?
    Nevermind. I had missed the intersex condition you mentioned in the initial post. The part below caused me to reread it. In that situation there is no reason to even care what they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaderose22 View Post
    Well a man usually wouldn't have my y chromosome. Because I have sltwo sex reversal genes on my y chromosome.

  8. #8
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    174
    Sex
    Location
    California, USA
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I-L338
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2

    United Kingdom England England North of England Norfolk Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderose22 View Post
    What is bigY FullGenomes or Yseq wgs?





    Well a man usually wouldn't have my y chromosome. Because I have sltwo sex reversal genes on my y chromosome.
    Big Y and WGS (whole genome sequencing) are examples of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS). Full Genomes Corporation and YSEQ are two companies that offer whole genome sequencing, and there are some NGS tests that focus on the Y-chromosome: Big Y at FamilyTreeDNA and Y Elite at Full Genomes Corporation.

    These are more detailed and extensive (not to mention more expensive) high resolution tests that give the tester a lot more SNP data. In comparison, as ArmandoR1b pointed out, the tests from places like 23andme and Ancestry are lower resolution, less extensive tests on a limited number of SNPs based on the chip they use for analysis. I don't think Ancestry offers Y-DNA anymore.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (02-12-2017)

  10. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,686
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by deadly77 View Post
    I don't think Ancestry offers Y-DNA anymore.
    Not as a standalone test they don't but the raw data file from the AncestryDNA v1 and v2 have Y-DNA SNPs reported as chromosome 24. My own Ancestry v1 has 885 positions reported and when I convert them in a spreadsheet using the Ybrowse CSV file at http://ybrowse.org/gbrowse2/gff/ as a reference I get 312 SNPs that have an associated haplogroup listed in ISOGG.

    A poster here at Anthrogenica let me look at their AncestryDNA v2 file. It has 1691 positions and when I compare it to the Ybrowse CSV file. 956 of them have an associated haplogroup.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to ArmandoR1b For This Useful Post:

     deadly77 (02-12-2017)

  12. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    167
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by jaderose22 View Post
    I'm just wondering. I'm not sure how good of a Y chromosome I have I have kind of an intersex condition. I didn't know actually until I did ancestrydna. They don't provide haplogroups but they let you see the raw data if you download it. I looked at it. And it says I have 125 results for my y chromosome I didn't know that the y chromosome is actually pretty small too. So I'm not sure if 125 is small or not especially since I'm of African descent so its harder to match African DNA than European. But I have looked up a few of the results about 20 so no more than 30 results. And I found I think two that actually were connected to the I haplogroup. I'm curious as to what happens if I have more than just those haplogroups from I? How do they decide which haplogroup to put me in?
    I don't believe your results indicate an intersex condition. I have seen some Y SNP results for every female where I've had occasion to look at the raw data from AncestryDNA. The probes can pick up similar sequences on other chromosomes, especially the X. AncestryDNA is not using those SNPs for anything, and I suspect they haven't gone to the trouble of curating the Y SNPs to be sure they are exclusive to the Y.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ann Turner For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (02-12-2017), palamede (02-14-2017), rms2 (02-12-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 76
    Last Post: 05-29-2017, 08:17 AM
  2. Replies: 104
    Last Post: 03-19-2017, 09:23 PM
  3. different companies different mtDNA results
    By Giovanni Ca in forum FTDNA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-22-2015, 06:41 PM
  4. Help Determine Dad's H3 Deep Subclade?
    By Cellachán in forum H
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2015, 05:18 AM
  5. Help me determine heritage please!
    By MKabik in forum Genealogy
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •