United States
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21 (DF21, L720)
    mtDNA
    J2b1a2

Scotland England France-Ile-de-France Germany Palatinate Northern Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by tuuli View Post
    Yes and thanks.

Are they all Indians same tribe and what about their genes?

tuuli
    They seem to have similar sets of genes, but there are differences. deCODEme, for example, used to use reference populations of Pima, Maya, Columbian, Karitiana and Surui. For whatever reason, in their system I (traditionally near 95-100% European by most measuring sticks) seem to be more similar to the Maya than the rest: 76.41% gene sample similarity versus 73.95% at the next highest. Of course I am more closely related to all European groups and Southwest Asians, and some East and Southeast Asians (including Cambodians, as one of the closest East Asian bunch)--but I am more closely related to Maya than Japanese, Han Chinese, and Dai (Thai)--at least according to their measuring stick. All of the other Native American groups are more distant to my sample than the other Native American groups. Of course who knows about what the most accurate measures of all of this autosomal stuff would be....
    Last edited by History-of-Things; 12-17-2012 at 05:34 AM.
    architectural historian/material culture historian
    specialty: East/West interaction 17th to 19th centuries

2. The Following User Says Thank You to History-of-Things For This Useful Post:

utR! (12-17-2012)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Quote Originally Posted by History-of-Things View Post
    For whatever reason, in their system I (traditionally near 95-100% European by most measuring sticks) seem to be more similar to the Maya than the rest: 76.41% gene sample similarity versus 73.95% at the next highest.
    I think there was some speculation that this had to do with palpable Spanish admixture in the Mayan sample, making them a little more European, rather than you a little more Mayan...

If the world ends on the 21st, though, my last words will be "Drat, deCODEme was right!"

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA
    I1d3a
    mtDNA
    H1n4

Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by History-of-Things View Post
    They seem to have similar sets of genes, but there are differences. deCODEme, for example, used to use reference populations of Pima, Maya, Columbian, Karitiana and Surui. For whatever reason, in their system I (traditionally near 95-100% European by most measuring sticks) seem to be more similar to the Maya than the rest: 76.41% gene sample similarity versus 73.95% at the next highest. Of course I am more closely related to all European groups and Southwest Asians, and some East and Southeast Asians (including Cambodians, as one of the closest East Asian bunch)--but I am more closely related to Maya than Japanese, Han Chinese, and Dai (Thai)--at least according to their measuring stick. All of the other Native American groups are more distant to my sample than the other Native American groups. Of course who knows about what the most accurate measures of all of this autosomal stuff would be....

That sounds right and some of those populations are unknown to me. For me I do find those tribes or populations facinating and worth to search more which is in common with genes compared to as Scandinavians. I find those ancient results more significant than close ones towards this present time.

How many samples there are taken amongst those Indians or different kind of populations there? Maybe nobody knows.

tuuli

Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Nationality
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21 (DF21, L720)
    mtDNA
    J2b1a2

DNA Extracted from Remains of Mayan "Red Queen" of Palenque
    http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?in...9#.UPlkhD15ddg

Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Nationality
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21 (DF21, L720)
    mtDNA
    J2b1a2

Genetic Admixture in Southern Africa
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0117133008.htm

Inhabitants of Tianyuan Cave Near Beijing 40,000 Years Ago Likely Relatives to Many Modern Asians and Native Americans
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0121161802.htm

Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Nationality
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21 (DF21, L720)
    mtDNA
    J2b1a2

Geneticists Study Ancient Tooth Bacteria and Evolution of Disease
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0217134140.htm

Mutation That Causes Thicker Hair in East Asians Discovered
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0214133924.htm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to History-of-Things For This Useful Post:

Cinnamon orange (01-22-2015)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    Thread pinned.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

ilmari (03-04-2013)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

United Kingdom
    Good news. We can get DNA from remains in warm climates.

Rabab Khairat et al., First insights into the metagenome of Egyptian mummies using next-generation sequencing, Journal of Applied Genetics, April 2013

We applied, for the first time, next-generation sequencing (NGS) technology on Egyptian mummies. Seven NGS datasets obtained from five randomly selected Third Intermediate to Graeco-Roman Egyptian mummies (806 BC–124AD) and two unearthed pre-contact Bolivian lowland skeletons were generated and characterised. The datasets were contrasted to three recently published NGS datasets obtained from cold-climate regions, i.e. the Saqqaq, the Denisova hominid and the Alpine Iceman. Analysis was done using one million reads of each newly generated or published dataset. Blastn and megablast results were analysed using MEGAN software. Distinct NGS results were replicated by specific and sensitive polymerase chain reaction (PCR) protocols in ancient DNA dedicated laboratories. Here, we provide unambiguous identification of authentic DNA in Egyptian mummies. The NGS datasets showed variable contents of endogenous DNA harboured in tissues. Three of five mummies displayed a human DNA proportion comparable to the human read count of the Saqqaq permafrost-preserved specimen. Furthermore, a metagenomic signature unique to mummies was displayed. By applying a “bacterial fingerprint”, discrimination among mummies and other remains from warm areas outside Egypt was possible. Due to the absence of an adequate environment monitoring, a bacterial bloom was identified when analysing different biopsies from the same mummies taken after a lapse of time of 1.5 years. Plant kingdom representation in all mummy datasets was unique and could be partially associated with their use in embalming materials. Finally, NGS data showed the presence of Plasmodium falciparum and Toxoplasma gondii DNA sequences, indicating malaria and toxoplasmosis in these mummies. We demonstrate that endogenous ancient DNA can be extracted from mummies and serve as a proper template for the NGS technique, thus, opening new pathways of investigation for future genome sequencing of ancient Egyptian individuals.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

ilmari (04-12-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21>A7309
    mtDNA
    U6a7a1

France European Union
    A new book in french about the grave of Spreitenbach-Moosweg (Argovie, Switzerland) of Final Neolithic. I didn't read this book but from the french abstract below, 5 men, 4 women, 2 teenagers and one baby were in the grave. The skeletons have been studied of anthropology, molecular genetics, dental morphology and isotope geochemistry that provided a variety of results: for example individuals were united by kinship. The majority of the men were of local origin, while women had moved home and gave birth to their children there.

DOPPLER T. (éd.) Spreitenbach-Moosweg (Argovie, Suisse): une sépulture collective vers 2500 av. J.-C. / Spreitenbach-Moosweg (Aargau, Schweiz): ein Kollektivgrab um 2500 v.Chr., 2012, 336 p., 143 fig. - 112 € / 43944
    En 1997, une sépulture collective du Néolithique final a été découverte à Spreitenbach (Canton d'Argovie), constituée d'une fosse de 3.7x4.5m, dans laquelle on avait érigé une chambre funéraire en bois de 1.5x2.3m orientée NE-SW. Une superstructure plus vaste enveloppait probablement la chambre. La sépulture fut utilisée durant un maximum de 2 générations pendant la période de transition du 26e au 25e siècle av. J.-C., un fait révélé par les datations radiocarbone et le mobilier funéraire restreint. A l'intérieur, on a découvert les restes de 5 hommes, 4 femmes, 2 jeunes et d'un bébé âgé de quelques semaines, en majorité déposés sur le dos avec les jambes repliées, sans ordre particulier lié à l'âge ou au sexe. Les squelettes ont fait l'objet d'études basées sur l'anthropologie, la génétique moléculaire, la morphologie dentaire et la géochimie isotopique qui ont fourni une multitude de résultats : certains individus étaient p.ex. unis par des rapports de parenté. En majorité, les hommes étaient d'origine locale, alors que les femmes avaient emménagé chez eux et y avaient donné naissance à leurs enfants. Les parallèles montrent que durant la culture cordée, il existe à l'intérieur d'un espace même restreint une variabilité de sépultures et de rites funéraires et que les traditions régionales et les spécificités locales revêtent une importance cruciale. L'ouvrage met en évidence le potentiel de l'intégration d'analyses basées sur l'archéologie et les sciences naturelles : le dévoilement de facettes de la vie d'antan qui jusqu'à présent étaient cachées.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:

Jean M (05-13-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21>A7309
    mtDNA
    U6a7a1

France European Union
    From this link in german, it was mitochondrial DNA: http://m.schweizamsonntag.ch/news.ht...1466&cat=baden

Page 3 of 170 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast