Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: GED Match and DNA land: Uttar Pradesh,Bihari and Bengali DNA?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by deuterium_1 View Post
    Hi

I have recently won a rare Kosala karshapana coin in an American auction and may post a picture of it for those interested in that period of history. Apparently Siwan was part of Kosala in ancient times.

One of my cousins in Karachi took a 23 and me DNA test. His father is originally from Bulanshahr in Western UP. His DNA results appear to conform with this?

Attachment 16350
    Attachment 16351
    Attachment 16353

I would appreciate any comments on this.
    Just curious if your relatives claim to be Qureshies, Hashmies , Siddiqui or Rizvi etc etc. I have spent my early childhood there and realized that most of the indian immigrants in Karachi claim these ancestries.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    O

India Pakistan United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandhara View Post
    Just curious if your relatives claim to be Qureshies, Hashmies , Siddiqui or Rizvi etc etc. I have spent my early childhood there and realized that most of the indian immigrants in Karachi claim these ancestries.
    They claim to to be Siddiquis,Naqvis etc

I think there is a need to prove foreign ancestry to differentiate themselves from Indians.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

Gandhara (06-17-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (07-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

They claim to to be Siddiquis,Naqvis etc

I think there is a need to prove foreign ancestry to differentiate themselves from Indians.
    I am going to make a blanket statement and others have the right to disagree :

" Almost all South Asian ethnic groups/castes/clans belong to the same genetic stock, the differences are mere cosmetic . Some started to feel more contended socially by claiming foreign status and some regarded them as superior due to their professions for instance priests developed into Brahmans, those who adopted administrative and military roles outside the Punjab region become Khatries, in Punjab they started doing farming to and hence started to be called Jatts, gujjars and so ....."

If we all stand together, it would be very difficult to distinguish us from each other.
    The best test is " You stand in front of the mirror and your looks will be a clear indication of your origin"

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gandhara For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (06-18-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (07-05-2017), Reza (06-18-2017), Zayd (06-18-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    O

I am going to make a blanket statement and others have the right to disagree :

" Almost all South Asian ethnic groups/castes/clans belong to the same genetic stock, the differences are mere cosmetic . Some started to feel more contended socially by claiming foreign status and some regarded them as superior due to their professions for instance priests developed into Brahmans, those who adopted administrative and military roles outside the Punjab region become Khatries, in Punjab they started doing farming to and hence started to be called Jatts, gujjars and so ....."

If we all stand together, it would be very difficult to distinguish us from each other.
    The best test is " You stand in front of the mirror and your looks will be a clear indication of your origin"
    I agree with you and genetics does confirm this.

May I ask what your GED match results were?

Honestly whenever I visit India annually the only way I can really distinguish Muslims in India is their dress otherwise they look identical to their Hindu counterparts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

Gandhara (06-18-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Honestly whenever I visit India annually the only way I can really distinguish Muslims in India is their dress otherwise they look identical to their Hindu counterparts.
    awaiting my 23andme results, will share soon as I get my results.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assamese
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R1a1
    mtDNA
    M13'46'61

India China Tajikistan Mongolia Russian Federation Papua New Guinea
    I would say Assamese especially those in Upper Assam are different, culturally we have little similarity with the rest of South Asia given our cultural influences were different from the rest of South Asia

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    O

awaiting my 23andme results, will share soon as I get my results.
    Cool, looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jortita View Post
    I would say Assamese especially those in Upper Assam are different, culturally we have little similarity with the rest of South Asia given our cultural influences were different from the rest of South Asia
    Really? I had an Assamese friend who could understand Bengali because of some similarities between Assamese and Bengalis.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Nishan Sahib

Truly agree, I have met countless Pakistani Punjabis in Canada, I could not tell the difference physically at all, the only way I can difference is with their dialect of Punjabi. Lahoris and Sialkoti speak same dialect as us though.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

Gandhara (07-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Maithil

United Kingdom India Madhesi
    Quote Originally Posted by jortita View Post
    Assamese, Bengali, Maithili and Rajbanshi are part of the same language family. Assamese and Maithili even have a shared dialect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brajavali_dialect
    Last edited by Toor; 07-05-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assamese
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R1a1
    mtDNA
    M13'46'61

India China Tajikistan Mongolia Russian Federation Papua New Guinea
    language is not culture, our food habits, music, dance etc. which are part of cultural as well as rituals are closer to Southern China and Southeast Asia than to Bengal, please search for upper assam culture and you will see what I mean

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast