Nationality
    Pakistani, Canadian
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    G3b

Pakistan Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurd View Post
    Wegene used Iranians from Tehran as references for their "Iranian" component. Due to Tehran being cosmopolitan, it is hard to figure out what those individual backgrounds were, but I am guessing that they were closely alligned with Kurds-Baloch, because my Iraqi Kurd sample scored 73% Iranian, and an Iranian Baloch scored 99% Iranian.
    Interesting, I wouldn't be surprised if my Iranian ancestor from Larestan may actually have been a Baloch from Iran.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Pakistani, Canadian
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    G3b

Pakistan Canada
    Also, can someone teach me how to use DIY calculators? I want to try the Turkic K11 one. Also, is there an Iranian calculator?
    Last edited by Pad-i Shah e Hind; 11-17-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Parsi Brahmin
    Y-DNA
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA
    U8b1a1

African Union Ainu AchaemenidEmpire1 Kurdistan Star of David Dravida Nadu
    Quote Originally Posted by Pad-i Shah e Hind View Post
    Interesting, I wouldn't be surprised if my Iranian ancestor from Larestan may actually have been a Baloch from Iran.
    The region of larestan doesn't have any baloch as far as I remember. Laristani as a surname is used by lari(a Middle Persian language) and Persian speakers from larestan.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jesus For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (11-21-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Pakistani, Canadian
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    G3b

Pakistan Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by jesus View Post
    The region of larestan doesn't have any baloch as far as I remember. Laristani as a surname is used by lari(a Middle Persian language) and Persian speakers from larestan.
    No, you didn't understand me. I know that Larestan doesn't have any Balochis. I know my geography and history, relax. What I meant to say was that my Iranian ancestor may not have been from Larestan as claimed, and he may have been a Balochi from Balochistan in Iran. Perhaps he claimed to be Lari or it was a myth propagated after his death. Sorry for not being clear enough.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    F
    mtDNA
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    Seems L1a1 is most common in South Asia, particularly Western India and Southern Pakistan; but it is also found in Southern Iran -- so it's possible.

Y-DNA haplogroup L
    is found at low frequencies in the Middle East and Europe as paragroup L-M317 (L1b*, originally L2*), subgroup L-M349 (L1b1, originally L2a) and subgroup L-L595 (L2), and at significant frequencies in South Asia as subgroups L-M27 (L1a1, formerly L1a and originally L1) and L-M357 (L1a2, formerly L1c and originally L3).

(http://isogg.org/tree/2015/ISOGG_HapgrpL15.html)
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplog...L1a1_.28M27.29)

There is a blog on this, I don't know how accurate it is, but it's interesting:
    Pakistan and India - Present Day Home of L1a1 and L1a2

L1a splits again into two sub clades. The split occurred around 17,400 years ago. L1a1, as defined by SNP M27 (on older nomenclature as still used by 23andMe, this was formerly L1*) is mainly found in India, particularly South West India, and in Sri Lanka, where it has been projected onto 15% of men. It is however, also found outside of India, in Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Pakistan, and Iran. This is perhaps the most populous modern day L sub clade, found in 14.5% of Indian males.
    L1a and L1a1 (L-M27) at Birds Eye Cave, Armenia 6161 years before present.

Ancient Y DNA from the Copper Age has recently emerged from this location, and included L1a, and L1a1. This might suggest, that although very successful today in India and Pakistan, that it has a Western Asian origin.
    L1a2 as defined by SNP M357 (on older nomenclature as still used by 23andMe, this was formerly L3*). This sub clade is mainly found in Pakistan, but also Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, The Chechen Republic, Tajikistan, India, and Afghanistan.
    So, the L1a sub clades - spreading down into Southern Asia, and accounting for potentially millions of Y Men there. Far more than any other branches of Y Haplogroup L. However, Southern Asia is unlikely to be the origin of L. That origin is more likely, as stated earlier, to be the place with the most diversity in branches. That points more towards again towards Western Asia. It's just that ancient carriers of L, appear to have been particularly successful in Southern Asia, and to have fathered more sons there.

(http://paulbrooker.posthaven.com/y-h...-resource-page)

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Post your Harappa results. That calculator is not good, because well Southern Iranians are have a lot of Iran_N ancestry , that "Iranian" I am guessing is either Anatolian Farmer related or a SW Asian component which peaks in Peninsular Arabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesus View Post
    No, you didn't understand me. I know that Larestan doesn't have any Balochis. I know my geography and history, relax. What I meant to say was that my Iranian ancestor may not have been from Larestan as claimed, and he may have been a Balochi from Balochistan in Iran. Perhaps he claimed to be Lari or it was a myth propagated after his death. Sorry for not being clear enough.
    Quoted you all and would like your opinion on how I see it "

Having 9 % Iranian or 38 percent Central Asian, 12 % Arab does not make one from these regions , neither does it imply that any of your ancestors were from these areas specially with a percentages as low as 9 % or 10 % and rightly Geongraphic warns its clients not to draw false inferences about their origin by announcing :

" We compared your DNA results to the reference populations we currently have in our database and estimated which of these populations were most similar to you in terms of the genetic markers you carry. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you belong to these groups, but that these groups were a similar genetic match, and can therefore be used as a guide to help determine why you have a certain result."

Two geographically distinct populations can have similarities for instance my own Ancestry results shows Siberian/Finland @ 9 percent but that does not mean that my ancestors came from there but just shows that some of my DNA is identical to theirs. I hope you get my point. Please do not take these ancestry results literally to trace your origin.

One day when I have time , I will write a detailed thread on ancestry results misinterpretations and short comings.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jatt2016 For This Useful Post:

Pad-i Shah e Hind (11-18-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Pakistani, Canadian
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    G3b

Pakistan Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by jatt2016 View Post
    Quoted you all and would like your opinion on how I see it "

Having 9 % Iranian or 38 percent Central Asian, 12 % Arab does not make one from these regions , neither does it imply that any of your ancestors were from these areas specially with a percentages as low as 9 % or 10 % and rightly Geongraphic warns its clients not to draw false inferences about their origin by announcing :

" We compared your DNA results to the reference populations we currently have in our database and estimated which of these populations were most similar to you in terms of the genetic markers you carry. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you belong to these groups, but that these groups were a similar genetic match, and can therefore be used as a guide to help determine why you have a certain result."

Two geographically distinct populations can have similarities for instance my own Ancestry results shows Siberian/Finland @ 9 percent but that does not mean that my ancestors came from there but just shows that some of my DNA is identical to theirs. I hope you get my point. Please do not take these ancestry results literally to trace your origin.

One day when I have time , I will write a detailed thread on ancestry results misinterpretations and short comings.

You have a point Jatt, but I am talking about WeGene not Geno 2.0, unless it uses the same methods, then go ahead and correct me. Also, you did not do AncestryDNA or 23andMe, which are quite different from FtDNA and Geno 2.0. Both Geno 2.0 and FtDNA are not accurate as 23andMe and AncestryDNA. Anyhow, I agree with you to an extent however. By the way, what's your name? I am in Canada also. Are you in Toronto?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Pakistani, Canadian
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    G3b

Pakistan Canada
    Furthermore Jatt 2016, you should try 23andMe because it can accurately pinpoint your origins within the past 200 to 300 years, unlike Geno 2.0 or FtDNA.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pad-i Shah e Hind For This Useful Post:

jatt2016 (11-17-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    F
    mtDNA
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland
    Furthermore Jatt 2016, you should try 23andMe because it can accurately pinpoint your origins within the past 200 to 300 years, unlike Geno 2.0 or FtDNA.
    I was highly impressed by their ancestry composition prediction. Very accurate in case of south Asians.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jatt2016 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Pakistani, Canadian
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    G3b

Pakistan Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by jatt2016 View Post
    I was highly impressed by the ancestry composition prediction. Very accurate in case of south Asians.
    Thank you, check PM.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    F
    mtDNA
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland
    You have a point Jatt, but I am talking about WeGene not Geno 2.0, unless it uses the same methods, then go ahead and correct me. Also, you did not do AncestryDNA or 23andMe, which are quite different from FtDNA and Geno 2.0. Both Geno 2.0 and FtDNA are not accurate as 23andMe and AncestryDNA. Anyhow, I agree with you to an extent however. By the way, what's your name? I am in Canada also. Are you in Toronto?
    All of them use the same method. This is what they do :

Admixture testing compares an individual’s DNA with specific sequences of DNA that are more prevalent in people from one area of the world than from another area.
    This kind of test focuses on the 22 pairs of nonsex chromosomes in every cell.Admixture calculations provide genetic ancestry analysis to individuals tested for high-density single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) data. The different SNP extraction methods (mostly SNP-chips) need substantial overlap of extracted SNPs to allow meaningful comparisons

There are drawbacks of this method and can be addressed in details. Please note that these results are not so accurate and the below is the advice from ISOGGG http://isogg.org/wiki/Admixture_analyses :

Most calculators use a shared subset of the up to 0.7 million SNPs provided by Family Finder, AncestryDNA, 23andMe, etc. These are compared with publicly available datasets and the companies' own proprietary datasets. As can be seen from the Autosomal DNA testing comparison chart the accuracy and sophistication vary greatly and have not yet reached the quality desired for accurate genetic genealogy research. The public dbSNP (Build 137) database contains ca. 45 million human SNPs, and comprehensive whole-genome sequencing (WGS) of all human populations could substantially increase that number and allow much better calculators.

Yes I am from Toronto. Name is Ahmed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jatt2016 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast