Ethnicity
    Mostly Persian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a

Iran

European ancestry in Iran

The study of European ancestry in Iran is one thats heavily understudied and practically non existent in documentation. I'm fairly confident that there must be some degree of european ancestry in Iran. However, confirming this to be the case, while also finding the most common sources for where any european ancestry in Iran comes from, is quite difficult. What are your thoughts? does anybody have some information to add (historical/genetic) that could help shed some light on the most likely sources? I will chime in with a few of my own, starting with some very helpful iranica articles on where I think the most likely sources of european ancestry would come from based on historical links.

Iran's British connection
    http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/great-britain

Iran's French connection
    http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/france-index

Iran's Dutch connection

http://www.iranicaonline.org/article...sian-relations

Iran's Russian connection
    http://www.iranicaonline.org/article...ia-i-relations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russians_in_Iran

There are of course, many other gateways to other parts of Europe, but these are the most highly documented ones.
    Last edited by ancestryfan1994; 09-18-2016 at 05:13 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ancestryfan1994 For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (09-23-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    1/2 Pashtun 1/2 Pamiri

If Iranians had any significant European ancestry, we would know by know. However, they obviously share a massive amount of their ancestry with Europeans, since both Iranians and Europeans are West Eurasians genetically.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Persian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a

Iran
    Quote Originally Posted by Heteorchromia View Post
    If Iranians had any significant European ancestry, we would know by know. However, they obviously share a massive amount of their ancestry with Europeans, since both Iranians and Europeans are West Eurasians genetically.
    There definitely isn't a "significant" amount of recent european ancestry found in Iran, but i have a feeling that if the case was looked into using genetics, There may be some found here and there. Either that, or my family might just be an outlier, we've been trying to look into this case recently with our own families genetic history.

European ancestry in Iran definitely isn't significant, but it probably does exist to some fair degree. Those links above certainly give credibility to connections to Europe.
    Last edited by ancestryfan1994; 09-23-2016 at 07:14 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ancestryfan1994 For This Useful Post:

dp (09-30-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    1/2 Pashtun 1/2 Pamiri

Quote Originally Posted by ancestryfan1994 View Post
    There definitely isn't a "significant" amount of recent european ancestry found in Iran, but i have a feeling that if the case was looked into using genetics, There may be some found here and there. Either that, or my family might just be an outlier, we've been trying to look into this case recently with our own families genetic history.

European ancestry in Iran definitely isn't significant, but it probably does exist to some fair degree. Those links above certainly give credibility to connections to Europe.
    Why is your family an outlier?

Registered Users
    Sex

Russian Molokans were expelled from Russia settling in Armenia and Iran. But they were a minority who wouldn't mix with any ethnicity even the rest of Russians despite being a Russian subgroup.

I'd say Iran has more Turkic (Turkmen and Azerbaijani) ancestries than European.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Nishan Sahib
    The European mix is probably ancient like South asians and South central asians have.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

Awale (09-23-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Persian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a

Iran
    Quote Originally Posted by Heteorchromia View Post
    Why is your family an outlier?
    Theres a good chance we have some european input from a few places based on our relatives detected, and some admixture results. But I'm not going to say its definitive until me and my brother can get some more hard evidence to support it.
    Last edited by ancestryfan1994; 09-23-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Persian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a

Iran
    Quote Originally Posted by Volat View Post
    Russian Molokans were expelled from Russia settling in Armenia and Iran. But they were a minority who wouldn't mix with any ethnicity even the rest of Russians despite being a Russian subgroup.

I'd say Iran has more Turkic (Turkmen and Azerbaijani) ancestries than European.
    Your right, however i think we're missing the point of this thread, I'm well aware of Iran's obvious turkic admixture. What i think people often tend to overlook is the slight possibility for links outside of the region. For example, you mention the Russians, I know and have heard of some Iranians (and even a close kurdish friend of mine) who have some Russian ancestry, so there was indeed some mixing that happened.

If there is any european admixture from Europe, its most likely found in people like my own family, who have lived on the coastal areas of Iran and were merchants involved in trade, this would have given them the opportunity to make contact with the outside world, something the other more central parts maybe never did.
    Last edited by ancestryfan1994; 09-23-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by ancestryfan1994 View Post
    Your right, however i think we're missing the point of this thread, I'm well aware of irons obvious turkic admixture. What i think people often tend to overlook is the slight possibility for links outside of the region. For example, you mention the Russians, I know and have heard of some Iranians who have distant Russian ancestry, so there was indeed some mixing that happened.
    Maybe! Russians had a minor if any impact on Iranian genetic pool. On the other hand, there are aroudn 15-20mln Turkic speakers living in northern Iran. Some of them could be linguistic shifters.

If you can find a single genetic profile of an Iranian that looks as European....

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Persian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a

Iran
    Quote Originally Posted by Volat View Post
    Maybe! Russians had a minor if any impact on Iranian genetic pool. On the other hand, there are aroudn 15-20mln Turkic speakers living in northern Iran. Some of them could be linguistic shifters.

If you can find a single genetic profile of an Iranian that looks as European....
    Again, the point of this thread isn't to prove that Iran has had a major recent genetic impact by europeans, which has shaped or altered our genomic profile, because it never happened. The point of this thread is to simply shed light and discuss how and where some of the possible distant european connections came to be for some Iranians. Not every Iranian will have european admixture, but your probably going to come across an amount that do.

Also, Im fairly certain that unless an Iranian has significantly high recent european ancestry (in the high double digit percentages, at parent/grandparent level), you will never find "a single genetic profile of an Iranian that looks as european", but that doesn't mean there is no european admixture, because any european admixture Iranians have wouldn't be significant enough to shift their profiles to look european. As a fine example, I plot as a normal Iranian and cluster where I should, despite having a grandparent of part east asian ancestry. The admixture wasn't significant enough to shift us elsewhere.
    Last edited by ancestryfan1994; 09-23-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast