Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: DISCUSSION THREAD FOR "Genetic Genealogy and Ancient DNA in the News"

Registered Users
    Sex

Ireland England Ireland Munster European Union
    From the paper:

Intriguingly, the Iceman/Remedello group was more similar to Kumtepe than to Boncuklu, Barcın, Tepecik-Çiftlik, or European Neolithic individuals. We further found that both Kumtepe and the Iceman/Remedello group carried more CHG alleles than other Neolithic populations...We also found that Tepecik-Çiftlik individuals were consistently closer to Iceman/Remedello and to Kumtepe than to any other Anatolian or European early Neolithic population, including their contemporary Barcın and the neighboring Boncuklu (Figure 3D). These results point to gene flow from an eastern source into Chalcolithic Kumtepe and later into Europe, which could have crossed central Anatolia already before the Chalcolithic.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bas For This Useful Post:

Hando (08-06-2016), parasar (08-05-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Nationality
    N/A
    Y-DNA
    I2a1-L621- PH 908
    mtDNA
    H 47

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    It is more likely that the Levant had an influx from Anatolia than the other way around.
    It is the Levant that changed over the Natufian - PPNB/PPNC period, and then again in the Bronze age.
    The multiway admixture really picked up in the Chalcolithic.
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture19310.html
    That's not how I see it
    In the Neolithic, the admixture clearly went levant -> Anatolia
    Followed by cross-homogenisation off all farming regions (Iran, Sth Caucasus, Anatolia, levant) by the copper age
    Followed by somewhere near Gulf -> levant in Bronze Age

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gravetto-Danubian For This Useful Post:

Hando (08-06-2016), parasar (08-05-2016)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Gravetto-Danubian View Post
    That's not how I see it
    In the Neolithic, the admixture clearly went levant -> Anatolia
    Followed by cross-homogenisation off all farming regions (Iran, Sth Caucasus, Anatolia, levant) by the copper age
    Followed by somewhere near Gulf -> levant in Bronze Age
    I am seeing it both in uniparental and autosomal.

In fact the population may have have come from even further west - perhaps Italy. It may have something to do with a refuge in Italy during the Y. Dryas period. Initially when Ralph and Coop had said that Italy was different from the rest of Europe, I thought that perhaps it was Roman empire that made Italy so different ("common ancestors shared with Italy lived longer ago than the time that structure within modern-day countries formed" "little common ancestry shared between the Italian peninsula and other locations ... mostly from longer ago than 2,500 ya" "the very few genetic common ancestors that Italians share both with each other and with other Europeans" "the common ancestry shared between Italy and other populations is older than about 2,300 years" "most populations show no substructure with regards to the number of blocks shared with Italians" "suggests significant old substructure and large population sizes within Italy, strong enough that different groups within Italy share as little recent common ancestry as other distinct, modern-day countries").
    Not sure anymore.
    Last edited by parasar; 08-05-2016 at 05:10 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Hando (08-06-2016), vettor (08-05-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Nationality
    N/A
    Y-DNA
    I2a1-L621- PH 908
    mtDNA
    H 47

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    I am seeing it both in uniparental and autosomal.

In fact the population may have have come from even further west - perhaps Italy. It may have something to do with a refuge in Italy during the Y. Dryas period. Initially when Ralph and Coop had said that Italy was different from the rest of Europe, I thought that perhaps it was Roman empire that made Italy so different ("common ancestors shared with Italy lived longer ago than the time that structure within modern-day countries formed" "little common ancestry shared between the Italian peninsula and other locations ... mostly from longer ago than 2,500 ya" "the very few genetic common ancestors that Italians share both with each other and with other Europeans" "the common ancestry shared between Italy and other populations is older than about 2,300 years" "most populations show no substructure with regards to the number of blocks shared with Italians" "suggests significant old substructure and large population sizes within Italy, strong enough that different groups within Italy share as little recent common ancestry as other distinct, modern-day countries").
    Not sure anymore.
    I really don;t see how that is possible. Albeit simplistic, lets look at the PCA for a 'sanity check' (not suggesting that you'r insane)

We see a couple of things:
    - by the Late Neolithic (4000 BC) in Greece, there is a Levant shift (red dot, black arrow)
    - in Copper Age Anatolia (4000 BC), there is an eastward shift
    - the shift in the Levant from Neolithic to BA is modelled by Lazarides to be due to Anatolian input (you're correct here)

The Italian shift i think you're confusing on the basis of what the recent Anders paper suggested : in Oetzi we see a pull toward the Caucasus/ NE, due to a 2nd neolithic wave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gravetto-Danubian For This Useful Post:

Hando (08-06-2016)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Gravetto-Danubian View Post
    - the shift in the Levant from Neolithic to BA is modelled by Lazarides to be due to Anatolian input (you're correct here)

The Italian shift i think you're confusing on the basis of what the recent Anders paper suggested : in Oetzi we see a pull toward the Caucasus/ NE, due to a 2nd neolithic wave.
    I was thinking of Oetzi (G2) and Remedello (I2), yes, but also Villabruna (R1b) vis a vis both Europe and the Near East.
    "Most striking observation is the appearance of "Villabruna cluster" ~14,000 years ago with increased affinity to Near East"
    https://twitter.com/iosif_lazaridis/...55808048435201

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Hando (08-06-2016), Tomenable (08-16-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Nationality
    N/A
    Y-DNA
    I2a1-L621- PH 908
    mtDNA
    H 47

Quote Originally Posted by Passa View Post
    Moroccan aDNA spanning Iberomaurusian to Chalcolithic coming (more or less) soon.
    Sweet.
    Bastumante lab should be able to do more than just mtDNA
    Last edited by Humanist; 08-06-2016 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Attachment deleted, as requested by Passa.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gravetto-Danubian For This Useful Post:

Hando (08-06-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Shema Yisrael
    Nationality
    jewishwith thracian blood
    Y-DNA
    E-S11956
    mtDNA
    h3ap -iberia

hope they will find some e-m81 or e-L19 his ancestor
    in the remains
    thanks passa for sharing
    regards
    adam

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kingjohn For This Useful Post:

Hando (08-07-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Shema Yisrael
    Nationality
    jewishwith thracian blood
    Y-DNA
    E-S11956
    mtDNA
    h3ap -iberia

davidski on the new mito from maykop :

http://eurogenes.blogspot.co.il/2016...om-maikop.html
    regards
    adam

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kingjohn For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (08-16-2016), Asimakidis (08-16-2016), GailT (08-16-2016), Hando (09-05-2016), Pribislav (08-16-2016), Tomenable (08-16-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    L3a2

Canada Somalia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    The Hofmeyr Skull is a specimen of a 36,000 year old human skull that was found in 1952 near Hofmeyr, South Africa. A piece of parietal bone (surgically removed) will be sent to Professor Eske Willerslev in Copehagen for ancient DNA analysis: https://elmuseumscience.wordpress.co...search-update/
    Grine and Willerslev will visit the East London Museum for two days during June - August,
    to remove a sample of bone from the cranial vault of the Hofmeyr skull: http://www.sahra.org.za/sahris/sites...ofmeyr_DNA.pdf
    THE world-famous 36000-year-old Hofmeyr skull, kept under lock and key at the East London Museum and which supports the “Out of Africa” theory that all modern humans originated in Africa, underwent a delicate operation yesterday.

Clad in a surgical mask and gloves and brandishing a small electric drill, the world’s leading expert on the skull, Professor Fred Grine, of New York’s Stony Brook University, carefully sliced the ancient cranium, as bone dust billowed all about him.

The extraordinary procedure was observed by eagle-eyed East London Museum scientist Kevin Cole who, along with the museum board, had given Grine the green light to perform it.

The carefully bagged slivers of skull are destined for Copenhagen where intricate DNA tests will be performed.

“It will be almost like a James Bond movie,” Grine said. “I am flying to London with the samples where I will hand them over to a lab expert and she will then carry them to Copenhagen.”: http://www.heraldlive.co.za/famous-s...me-of-science/
    I'm confused. The proposal and news article (dated to June 27,2014) above make it seem as if the sample was already sent to the Copenhagen lab in 2014.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackflash16 For This Useful Post:

Hando (09-05-2016), Megalophias (08-18-2016), Saetro (08-18-2016)

Registered Users
    Y-DNA
    I-S336
    mtDNA
    K1c1

Quote Originally Posted by Jean M View Post
    Nour Moussa, Maternal and Paternal Polymorphisms in Prehistoric Siberian Populations of Lake Baikal, PhD thesis 2015. Available online era.library.ualberta.ca

Abstract
    This dissertation examines prehistoric hunter-gatherer populations that inhabited Siberia, Russia, several thousand years ago. The Lake Baikal of Siberia was home to two temporally distinct populations from Early Neolithic, EN (8000-6800 cal BP) to Late Neolithic-Early Bronze Age, LN-EBA (5800-4000 cal BP). The EN group was separated from the LN-EBA group by a 1000-year gap (hiatus). Several cemeteries have been excavated as part of an international Baikal Archaeology Project (BAP). These include one EN cemetery (Shamanka II) and two LN-EBA cemeteries (Kurma XI and Khuzhir-Nuge XIV). Maternally inherited mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) has been examined previously for two EN cemeteries (Lokomotiv and Shamanka II) and one of the LN-EBA cemeteries (Ust’-Ida). mtDNA has not been analyzed before from the Kurma XI cemetery. This dissertation hypothesis focused on the examination of mtDNA from Shamanka II and Kurma XI cemeteries and examination of Y-chromosomal DNA from the four excavated cemeteries (Lokomotiv, Shamanka II, Ust’-Ida and Kurma XI) to identify genetic discontinuity and/or continuity between and within the EN and LN-EBA of prehistoric populations. .... Four different mtDNA haplogroups were found in Kurma XI individuals including A, D, F and Z. ....

Y-chromosomal haplogroups were obtained from male individuals in the four cemeteries. Individuals from Lokomotiv and Shamanka II were found to possess haplogroups K, R1a1 and C3, and individuals from Ust’-Ida and Kurma XI were found to belong to haplogroups Q, K and unidentified SNP (L914). For those individuals belonging to haplogroup Q, further experimentation to examine sub-haplogroups of Q revealed that these individuals belong to sub-haplogroup Q1a3.... the Y-chromosome results showed a discontinuity between the EN and the LN-EBA populations of Lake Baikal.
    They didn't test for N-L666, N-F2905 or N-P189.2, so the K could be one of those, even though they are rare (L666) or absent (the rest) in the region today.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shaikorth For This Useful Post:

Hando (09-05-2016), Jean M (08-31-2016), lgmayka (09-01-2016), Megalophias (09-01-2016), Saetro (09-01-2016)

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast