Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: My fellow Africans share your ancestral results from different DNA companies

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Central\Eastern Sudanic
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    A-M13 (Y25085)
    mtDNA
    L3x2b

Canada Uganda Southern Sudan Chad Ethiopia Omo Region Sudan
    Quote Originally Posted by Deftextra View Post
    Intresting. I and my 3 closest cousins match distantly a Tanzanian (on ancestryDNA) who is mixture of indian, middle-eastern, and what looks like british&irish. + a bunch of trace regions, including what I assume is comming from native tanzanian admixture. I was suprised that this individual was from tanzanzia and identifies as Tanzanian, since her Native tanzanian admixture was only a trace region. Not to mention her surname has the highest fequency in Tanzanzia and is more than 2 times the frequency of the surname outside of Tanzania.

Do you know if his dutch admixure is recent?
    Alright, correction - he's of partial German descent (p. grandfather), not Dutch . I guess that makes a lot of more sense given their early colonial history.

I mentioned you (Deftextra) and the blog, he said there's many Tanzanians of Somali descent - so, no wonder your closest matches have a few distant cousins down there. How closely related is the distant TZ match to your closest matches?
    PuntDNAL K8
    Population: Nilo_Saharan 46.16, Ubangian_Congo 9.56, W_Benue_Congo 24.21, Eastern_HG 2.09, E_Benue_Congo 12.94, Omotic 5.05
    Single Population Sharing: Chad_Bulala 14.17, Alur 17.26, South_Sudanese 25.21, South_Sudan_Anuak 25.65, Cameroon_Mada 28.57, Ethiopian_Gumuz 33.91, Kenyan_Maasai 36.07, Kenyan_Bantu 38.05, Chad_Kaba 40.04, DRC_Hema 42.08, Kenyan_Luhya 46.64

The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it - Ayn Rand

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiloSaharan For This Useful Post:

Deftextra (02-10-2017), Power77 (02-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA
    E-V32>Z808(?)

Somalia Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by NiloSaharan View Post
    Alright, correction - he's of partial German descent (p. grandfather), not Dutch . I guess that makes a lot of more sense given their early colonial history.

I mentioned you (Deftextra) and the blog, he said there's many Tanzanians of Somali descent - so, no wonder your closest matches have a few distant cousins down there. How closely related is the distant TZ match to your closest matches?
    I match this individual at only 1, 8cm segement. However, this is probably the only match of this size that I share with my closely related cousins and I am not sure how much they match this individual. So who knows. I have seen this happen before where I match someone at only one 9cm segement, while at least one of my cousins matches him/her at multiple segement of a total 25 cm say.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deftextra For This Useful Post:

Power77 (02-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Egypt
    Some results of copts on 23andme

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nee4speed111 For This Useful Post:

Cinnamon orange (03-12-2017), Don Felipe (02-27-2017), NiloSaharan (03-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    We wuz Native Amuricans
    Y-DNA
    E-V13

Brazil Star of David Moldova
    my senegal river valley is higher than yours lol and im only 11% african

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a2
    mtDNA
    H5a1g1

United Kingdom Netherlands Friesland Mauritius China India Madagascar
    My mum had a new Tanzanian match whose parents were Tanzanian and Somali. Their family were from Zanzibar, Dar es Salaam and Baraawe. Their main regions are Middle East, African South Eastern Bantu and Asia South. Only European they had was European Jewish in their trace regions which my mother doesn't have.
    AncestryDNA - 77% European, 12% Asian, 9% African, 1% Native American, 1% Pacific Islander
    23andme - 78.7% European, 10.2% East Asian and Native American, 7.5% Subsaharan African, 2.7% South Asian, 0.1% North African, 0.8% unassigned
    DNA.Land - 77% West Eurasian, 12% East Asian, 9.7% African, 1.9% Ambiguous
    DNA Tribes - 72.6% European, 10.4% Subsaharan African, 7.8% Asian, 7.1% South Asian, 2.1% Amerindian

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

Deftextra (03-12-2017), Don Felipe (03-09-2017), NiloSaharan (03-12-2017), SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 (03-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA
    E-V32>Z808(?)

Somalia Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by JFWinstone View Post
    My mum had a new Tanzanian match whose parents were Tanzanian and Somali. Their family were from Zanzibar, Dar es Salaam and Baraawe. Their main regions are Middle East, African South Eastern Bantu and Asia South. Only European they had was European Jewish in their trace regions which my mother doesn't have.
    Intresting. Was this on AncestryDNA? I might match this person. Those are the main regions what somali Benadiris (mogdishu, merka&baraawe) usually score aswell.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Britalian
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Italy
    Yeah. I sometimes come across this vague mention of Portuguese ancestry aswell. However, from the results I have seen so far, there no obvious indication of any European ancestry. We sometimes score small amounts, but this is most likely coming from our Middle-Eastern and south-Asian ancestry. I think its very unlikely anyway for such ancestry to have come directly, since the Portuguese never had any foothold, except for Barawa , but it only lasted for 3 days and they got expelled soon after.

I have come across this interesting (outdated and no references) page which mentions:
    "In the early 20th century there was an area within the city of Mogadishu that was inhabited by seamen and traders. Some of these traders claimed part Portuguese and part Indian ancestry."

http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/...of-London.html

The area they are talking about is probably "xamar weyne", which is the oldest part of Mogadishu and where our clans used to live. I remember my mother mentioning some years ago that various different "foreigners" used to live there as well. I have various cousins which I am told actually have recent ancestries from these communities. It would be interesting to see how they would score.

Edit: I actually match with a bunch of Iberians and part Iberians on ancestryDNA (6-11cm single segments).
    A little OT, but on 23andme I matched with some full southern coastal Iranians (in fact, hilariously, Iran was one of my top 3 countries of ancestry back when 23andme still had that feature) and Vietnamese. Both regions were never directly colonized by Portugal, but Portuguese sailors still had substantial bases/presences there in the 16th and 17th centuries. Since these matches tended to score a tiny amount of Southern European, we came to the conclusion that we were probably related through my Portuguese side.

So I wouldn't discount some Portuguese descendants running around in coastal East Africa and other unexpected places. I know some groups in Lamu and Pemba explicitly claim Portuguese ancestry.

Also don't forget that in addition to Portuguese sailors and soldiers directly affiliated to the Crown and the Empire, there was also the phenomenon of "renegados" (Portuguese soldiers, especially in India and Southeast Asia, who deserted and became mercenaries in the service of various local rulers, sometimes converting to Islam and even fighting against their countrymen; Felipe de Brito e Nicote is one example), as well as backwoodsmen like "lanados" or "sertanejos", who became independent traders, often settling in remote parts of Africa and taking native wives in order to form trade alliances with local groups.

So just because the "official" Portuguese presence in places like the Persian Gulf or the Swahili Coast was short-lived doesn't mean that some wayward adventurers might not have settled there.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fished For This Useful Post:

Cinnamon orange (03-12-2017), Deftextra (03-12-2017), JFWinstone (03-13-2017), NiloSaharan (03-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a2
    mtDNA
    H5a1g1

United Kingdom Netherlands Friesland Mauritius China India Madagascar
    Intresting. Was this on AncestryDNA? I might match this person. Those are the main regions what somali Benadiris (mogdishu, merka&baraawe) usually score aswell.
    Yeah they were on AncestryDNA
    AncestryDNA - 77% European, 12% Asian, 9% African, 1% Native American, 1% Pacific Islander
    23andme - 78.7% European, 10.2% East Asian and Native American, 7.5% Subsaharan African, 2.7% South Asian, 0.1% North African, 0.8% unassigned
    DNA.Land - 77% West Eurasian, 12% East Asian, 9.7% African, 1.9% Ambiguous
    DNA Tribes - 72.6% European, 10.4% Subsaharan African, 7.8% Asian, 7.1% South Asian, 2.1% Amerindian

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

Deftextra (03-14-2017)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Somali - Dir
    Nationality
    UK
    Y-DNA
    T1-(M70)
    mtDNA
    N1a

Ethiopia Adal Sultanate Djibouti Somalia United Kingdom
    My results:

I am from the Northern Dir clan family. Samaroon to be precise.

Autosomal

Y-DNA

mtDNA

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monk307 For This Useful Post:

JFWinstone (03-18-2017), SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 (03-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Swahili
    Nationality
    Kenyan

Kenya Tanzania United Kingdom Iran African Union
    I dont know if ive already posted this but here are my ancestrydna results from last year.

Screenshot_20170318-182553.jpg
    The people of Mombasa were "Shfi'i" Muslims, "a religious people, trustworthy and righteous. Their mosques are made of wood, expertly built. At every door of the mosques there are one or two wells. The depth of the wells is a cubit or two."

Ibn Battuta

Ramadhan Mubarak.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast