Thread: I-S12077

Sex
    Y-DNA
    I2A2A1B2A1
    mtDNA
    J1C5

I-S12077

Hello all,

I have recently had my Y Chromosome tested with Britains DNA and I was told I was I-S12077 which belongs to the 'S390' subtype of the I-S24 group. I have done some digging and I think this is closely linked to the I2A2A haplogroup. But I cannot find any particular information on I-S12077.
    I understand basic genetics and inheritance but I am new to this and would appreciate any help in deciphering these results. I have always believed that my Paternal line (due to my surname Fraser) would be of Norman or some form of Scottish Heritage. But having searched for I2a2 online, I see that it is highly prevalent in the Balkans and eastern europe.
    There was a small chance that my Paternal line could instead be that of Jewish man of Central/Eastern European Heritage. I am unsure if this fits better in with the results than the Fraser name.
    Basically if someone could explain to me more information about what my results mean and help me interpret them I would be very grateful!
    I can copy and paste the markers which I tested positive for if that will help.

Regards,
    Joel

Registered Users
    Sex

Hi Joel, Not sure if you already know this but S12077 can be found in the YFULL y-chromsome tree here http://www.yfull.com/tree/I-CTS1977/ . It occurs at the same branch point as I-CTS1977 and is downstream of I-Z161>I-L801>CTS1977. It is quite an old SNP with estimated TMRCA at 3400 ybp. Part of the text available from Eupedia for the I-Z161 subclade (TMRCA 9700ybp) is as follows:
    “I2-Z161 is thought to have been propagated around Europe by the Danish Vikings (Britain, Normandy, Sicily), the Swedish Vikings (Baltic, Russia, Ukraine), the Goths (Moldova, Balkans, Italy, south-west France, Spain), the Suebi (Portugal and Galicia), the Lombards (attested by a hotspot in Campobasso, Molise), and the Franks (Rhineland, Belgium).”
    This could easily fit with a Norman origin as you suspected. There are many subclades downstream of S12077(CTS1977) in the YFULL tree. Knowing which of these you belong to and the geographic distribution of other members of the same subclade would help you sort this out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to drabcon For This Useful Post:

palamede (03-05-2016)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    Danish
    Y-DNA
    I-M223 CTS1977 Y7824
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1c1

S12077 is (at least at the moment) equivalent to CTS1977 which are the normally used name. Looking of a map of CTS1977 with ancestors known before 1750, these ancestors lived in North West Europe from UK Belgium Netherland and West Germany (with a single in the western part of the former East Germany). It would interesting to know which subclade of CTS1977 You belong to

Y8935
    Y7824
    Y5282

You are coming closer to genealogical time frames. Congratulations