Japanese(Ainu)and ?
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    A5a1a1

Japan United States of America Ainu
    I wonder if these 'shifts' are taken into account when there is talks about "climate' Change .
    Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, because to them, you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian

Oh for heaven's sake.

If the axis of the earth had tilted enough in a short time to affect the climate then anyone who paid attention to the sky - not just professional astronomers, but every amateur astronomer and traditional stargazer on earth - would have noticed.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Megalophias For This Useful Post:

Awale (10-25-2016), Bas (04-21-2017), Judith (04-22-2017), Saetro (10-23-2016)

Banned for Multiple Accounts Violation
    Sex

England North of England Ireland Munster United States of America Russian Federation Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalophias View Post
    Oh for heaven's sake.

If the axis of the earth had tilted enough in a short time to affect the climate then anyone who paid attention to the sky - not just professional astronomers, but every amateur astronomer and traditional stargazer on earth - would have noticed.
    Indeed any amateur could have figured it out. I've been star gazing for years, since I was a young teen & got my first telescope. I've got an entire setup now - including laptop which monitors for me as well.

But then one doesn't need to constantly gaze upwards. The increasingly wacky migration of numerous bird species, insect species, etc... not to mention the continual & increasing beaching of whales & dolphins is just some of the clues.

It is sort of like how those same sorts of amateurs ignore the increasing deaths of amphibians - a rather well studied and well known indicator species of problems - and the increasing incidents of red [& similar] algae tides as the environment becomes more and more polluted.

NASA scientists confirm Earth is tilting the opposite direction; Climate change making Earth’s wobble shift
    But in the long run the experts confirm what some of the amateurs have been missing.
    Last edited by FredBats; 11-10-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA
    J1c

United States of America Scotland
    Here is an article which may be of interest concerning the subject titled, 'Tibet sediments reveal climate patterns from millions of years ago'

https://phys.org/news/2017-04-tibet-...atterns_1.html

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    Brother I-M26, I2a1a
    mtDNA
    H4a1a1a

http://www.astrobio.net/news-exclusi...ed-the-sahara/

This article describes research on the result on the earth's tilt on creating the Sahara desert. basically a small shift in tilt caused the monsoons to weaken and the Sahara gradually or quickly in some places dried from grassland to its present state.
    5500 years ago puts it into the pre-history period which fascinates many of us.
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 44% Cheshire, 1% Worcestershire, 1% Scottish (or Irish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Judith For This Useful Post:

NiloSaharan (04-25-2017)

Sex

This is something We'll not be able to prove or disprove. The mainstream science has had some fails in the past and I'm highly suspicious in most studies based on earth when political interest also plays a significant role in each studies. I don't believe anything but I try to listen and make a personal conclusion which can be either true or false.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    K1b1a

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWhalen View Post
    I ran into this brief article, and even though it is a year old, I dont remember seeing it before

It raises a point that concerns me, I normally am very hard science based on these sorts of things, but I also think the practical, survival oriented wisdom of certain indigenous people needs to be looked at very carefully before dismissing it

Anyway, the Inuit elders seem to have come to a consensus that all the recent weird weather changes are not because of global warming and such, but rather the earths axis has tilted to the north and in a fundamental way has changed

anyone know the facts? is it easy to tell if our axis has changed? I really have no idea about this stuff but I certainly do believe the elders have noticed something real, is there another explanation?

http://newspaper.indianlife.org/stor...ld%20/582.html

Mike
    1. Orbital shape (eccentricity)
    2. Axial tilt (obliquity)
    3. Axial precession
    4. Apsidal precession
    5. Orbital inclination

Of the above 5 cycles of the earth, number 3 is the smallest of the cycles. However even this smallest cycle takes 72.2 years to move 1 degree, hence it is humanly impossible to observe and measure the movement with eyes.

Regarding the knowledge of one of these cycles with Inuit can not be dismissed, because atleast the Earths Axial precession has been know and recorded much before the beggining of the ERA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuga
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_precession
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles

The first calculated Axial Precession length appears in Vedanga Jyotish (dated between 1400BCE to 700BCE) and it has been mentioned as taking 24000 years to complete one Axial rotation.

However as per modern Science the Axial rotation takes 25772 years. Though they do not match what is surprising is the knowledge of the Axial rotation with the ancients and also a pretty close calculation matching the modern science.

The Milankovitch cycles (link above) also explain how these cycles affect the seasonal variations and climate changes.

Registered Users
    Sex

United States of America Albania Kosovo
    A pole switch would be such a dramatic event, if it could even happen, that I think these people that propose this having happened in the past understand. Every variable on the planet needs to change and the effect would be disastrous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12