Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP412
    mtDNA
    H13a1a1a

Z1a1a - Southwestern-Norwegian-cluster

I noticed that 4 out 50 mt-dna-samples from my native region of Rogaland in the Norway project are hg Z1a1a (There is an additional person from Rogaland in the Z-project). They all have the same haplotype :C16185T, T16187C, C16189T, T16224C, G16230A, C16260T, T16278C, T16298C, C16311T, C146T, C151T, C195T, A247G, A249d, T489C, 522.1A, 522.2C, 309.1C, 315.1C. So there must have been a recent founder-event. Bizarrely they share the haplotype with people in northern Finland. So I would assume that this is the haplotype from "A recent genetic link between Sami and the Volga-Ural region of Russia."?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul_Johnsen For This Useful Post:

Captain Nordic (07-26-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF13*
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Norway Russia Tatarstan Arms Germany Imperial Romani Faroe Islands England
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Johnsen View Post
    I noticed that 4 out 50 mt-dna-samples from my native region of Rogaland in the Norway project are hg Z1a1a (There is an additional person from Rogaland in the Z-project). They all have the same haplotype :C16185T, T16187C, C16189T, T16224C, G16230A, C16260T, T16278C, T16298C, C16311T, C146T, C151T, C195T, A247G, A249d, T489C, 522.1A, 522.2C, 309.1C, 315.1C. So there must have been a recent founder-event. Bizarrely they share the haplotype with people in northern Finland. So I would assume that this is the haplotype from "A recent genetic link between Sami and the Volga-Ural region of Russia."?
    I have a few 23andme Z1a matches with ancestry from Hordaland, so my best guess is that this is a Saami linage that has spread south from Trønderlag region perhaps?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP412
    mtDNA
    H13a1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    I have a few 23andme Z1a matches with ancestry from Hordaland, so my best guess is that this is a Saami linage that has spread south from Trønderlag region perhaps?
    I wouldn't be surprised if the "ultimate" origin was saami (seems very very likely), but I don't see the trønder-connection. For me it seems like this particular linage, I actually think it expanded from the northern parts of Rogaland. It seems only likely than some would end up in Hordaland. The Norway project does not have any Z in Trøndelag (one in Møre and one in Nordland, one in vest agder, one in aust-agder(lacks 522.1A, 522.2C) and one in the east).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF13*
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Norway Russia Tatarstan Arms Germany Imperial Romani Faroe Islands England
    I wouldn't be surprised if the "ultimate" origin was saami (seems very very likely), but I don't see the trønder-connection. For me it seems like this particular linage, I actually think it expanded from the northern parts of Rogaland. It seems only likely than some would end up in Hordaland. The Norway project does not have any Z in Trøndelag (one in Møre and one in Nordland, one in vest agder, one in aust-agder(lacks 522.1A, 522.2C) and one in the east).
    The reason I mention Trønderlag is because south Saami peoples have traditionally lived there and around the wider Røros region. I would think Z1a in Saami peoples stem from very few original Z1a lines, so they should all have the same mutations and match each other, which could explain the matches in Finland etc..

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP412
    mtDNA
    H13a1a1a

I found 6 hg Z in my first 300 23andme matches.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP412
    mtDNA
    H13a1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    The reason I mention Trønderlag is because south Saami peoples have traditionally lived there and around the wider Røros region. I would think Z1a in Saami peoples stem from very few original Z1a lines, so they should all have the same mutations and match each other, which could explain the matches in Finland etc..
    I think it is only one linage. Maybe the saami person intermarried in Norland had one daughter who married someone in Møre (most of the rest of the daughter-lines only had sons/died out), the person in Møre who married someone in Rogaland (most of the rest of the daughter-lines only had sons/died out). This person had tons of daughter-lines that did not "die-out". It is hard to tell, but you clearly don't need many saami (most saami aren't Z1a1 after all).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul_Johnsen For This Useful Post:

evon (01-17-2016)

Registered Users
    Y-DNA
    I-S336
    mtDNA
    K1c1

So I would assume that this is the haplotype from "A recent genetic link between Sami and the Volga-Ural region of Russia."?
    It's not necessarily from the Volga-Ural but could come from a circumpolar route. Bolshoy Oleni Ostrov (3500ya) in Kola Peninsula had Z1a:

2x 16129A, 16185T, 16223T, 16224C, 16260T, 16298C
    1x 16129A, 16155G, 16185T, 16223T, 16224C, 16260T, 16298C

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shaikorth For This Useful Post:

Captain Nordic (07-26-2016), palamede (01-29-2016)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Y-DNA
    CTS4179

Norway
    Might be from Bjarmeland:

http://avaldsnes.info/en/informasjon/hjor/

Geirmund supposedly had mtDNA Z1A and his mother was from Bjarmeland (even though in small amounts Z1A is still found in Iceland today)

Strongly recommend the book "The Black Viking" by Bergsveinn Birgisson

http://icelandreview.com/stuff/views...ack-viking-esa

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Nationality
    Sœnskr
    Y-DNA
    Father's I1
    mtDNA
    Not tested yet

Sweden Denmark Norway European Union Finland Sami
    The problem with claiming it's of Sami origin is that not even (Norwegian) Samis have such a high frequency of Z (8%):
    http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v...l#figure-title
    In fact, Norwegian Samis lack the mitochondrial Z haplotype.

Also, is there any evidence that Samis ever lived as far south as Rogaland?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Nordic For This Useful Post:

Paul_Johnsen (08-01-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Nationality
    Sœnskr
    Y-DNA
    Father's I1
    mtDNA
    Not tested yet

Sweden Denmark Norway European Union Finland Sami
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian Norseman View Post
    Might be from Bjarmeland:

http://avaldsnes.info/en/informasjon/hjor/

Geirmund supposedly had mtDNA Z1A and his mother was from Bjarmeland (even though in small amounts Z1A is still found in Iceland today)

Strongly recommend the book "The Black Viking" by Bergsveinn Birgisson

http://icelandreview.com/stuff/views...ack-viking-esa
    I doubt it's of Samoyed origin simply because Samoyeds never lived in Bjarmaland.
    Bjarmaland extended to the northern shores of the white sea and the Northern Dvina river. Samoyeds lived a bit further east.

It is likely that the native inhabitants of Bjarmaland were Komi or some other type of Finnic tribe.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Nordic For This Useful Post:

palamede (08-29-2016)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast