Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Similarities between Pashto and Khotanese

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by surbakhunWeesste View Post
    Kandahri (Sh) pashto has more sounds and eastern pashto has more retroflex (not really significant tho, just for an understanding)

Pashto pronunciation differs from dialect to dialect; there are certain alphabets that have different sounds. …On top of my mind

1.Comb = ږمنڅ
    The first letter is Zh also J for us while eastern pashto pronounces it as G as in gun
    Zzamundz (Sh), Gamunzz (E).

2. Beautiful: ښاسته
    The first letter is S for us and K for eastern
    Shayesta, Khayesta

3. Moon: سپوږمۍ
    Spoozhmai, Sppogmai
    Yeah so when I write zh I mean it to sound like muzh not moong

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifluous View Post
    You mean the sound in the word Zhwand, for example? The G in Gigi is between Z and J.
    Correct

The problem is Kurds and Pashtuns will understand it but the rest may not

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Onge
    Nationality
    Earthling
    Y-DNA
    Gangstuh
    mtDNA
    W3a1

Greater Khorasan Afghanistan Ghaznavid Dynasty Late Saffarid Dynasty Dravida Nadu Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurd View Post
    Correct
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2d...gigi_lifestyle

The first two pronunciations of the name Gigi are similar to how the Zh in Zhwand is pronounced. No need for a sound clip
    "Humanity is all one body;
    To torture another is simply to wound yourself." - Rahman Baba

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mellifluous For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (12-15-2015), Kurd (12-15-2015)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ibex retter; Der Nomad
    mtDNA
    U2b2

Afghanistan United States of America Germany Greater Khorasan Dravida Nadu Azad Baluchistan
    Yeah so when I write zh I mean it to sound like muzh not moong
    hahahaha, I remembered this song of zarsanga and co they keep on saying MOONG, makes me uncomfy

The Zh also Jh sound you are looking for is normally the letter ژ Zhaba as in tongue.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

Kurd (12-15-2015), Mellifluous (12-15-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex

hahahaha, I remembered this song of zarsanga and co they keep on saying MOONG, makes me uncomfy

The Zh also Jh sound you are looking for is normally the letter ژ Zhaba as in tongue.

I guess I have get a keyboard that lets me put dots on Z How do they say zamong in Kandhar

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

surbakhunWeesste (12-15-2015)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ibex retter; Der Nomad
    mtDNA
    U2b2

Afghanistan United States of America Germany Greater Khorasan Dravida Nadu Azad Baluchistan
    I added new Khotanese words, the Khotanese cell cannot be edited though, so if anyone wants to add Khotanese words, please let me know and I can allow access...hard-work security

10. The Following User Says Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (12-15-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir Afghanistan Iran India United States of America
    I guess I have get a keyboard that lets me put dots on Z How do they say zamong in Kandhar
    ژـژ

copy/paste this.

I like to write the perso-arabic scripts precisely for this reason. There are many ways to type a letter in English.

If old noir black & white photography tickles your fancy: Hidden Content
    [I do, respectfully, ask that one doesn't repost, rehost, copy, save, or share the family photos -- such old personal family photos are rare in South Asia, and I would like to share them with those who are curious; I hope I do not regret the decision. The rest of the pictures are publically available online, so do with as you like!]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Kurd (12-15-2015)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ibex retter; Der Nomad
    mtDNA
    U2b2

Zamunz / Zamuzz

I happen to speak, sorta... archaic pashto also known as old kandahari dialect (Thanks to my grandparents), it sounds folkish as compared to the ever changing vocabulary and utterance of words.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

Kurd (12-15-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex

Zamunz / Zamuzz

I happen to speak, sorta... archaic pashto also known as old kandahari dialect (Thanks to my grandparents), it sounds folkish as compared to the ever changing vocabulary and utterance of words.
    I give you alot of credit being 2nd generation outside Afganistan. Many 1st generation even don't speak it.
    Most of the Pashtuns in Pakistan speak the eastern Pukhto dialect, but the ones from the area where my maternal side is from, Quetta, speak the Kandhari Pashto dialect. The ones from Bannu sounded different from both the eastern and western dialects

I just filled in a bunch of Kurdi Urdu Punjabi in your spreadsheet

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

surbakhunWeesste (12-16-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF13*
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Norway Russia Tatarstan Arms Germany Imperial Romani Faroe Islands England
    You guys might find this paper interesting, it deals with the Kushan legacy in the Tarim basin city-states among other things (language and law formulas etc):

http://sino-platonic.org/complete/spp186_turfan.pdf

Table of Contents
    PHILOLOGICAL BOUNTY............................................ .................................................. .....1
    RELIGIOUS AND ARTISTIC DIVERSITY .................................................. .............................2
    OTHER TARIM SITES .................................................. .................................................. ....3
    ORIGINAL MEDIEVAL TURFANIAN LANGUAGE? .................................................. ..............3
    Kucha and Kuchean........................................... .................................................. ........3
    Khotan and Khotanese......................................... .................................................. ......4
    Tumshuq and Tumshuqese .................................................. ........................................4
    Kroraina/Loulan............................................ .................................................. ............5
    Kashgar and Yarkand .................................................. ................................................5
    Turfan, Qarashahr and Tocharian A................................................. ............................7
    KAREZ............................................. .................................................. ..............................8
    THE HYPOTHESIS .................................................. .................................................. .........9
    ADMINISTRATIVE EVIDENCE .................................................. ........................................ 11
    Tarim Legal Traditions........................................ .................................................. .... 11
    Kushan Tarim Control........................................... .................................................. .. 12
    Loanword Evidence for Kushan Tarim Control .................................................. ....... 16
    Bactrian Administrative Terms in the Tarim Languages ........................................ 17
    Prakrit Administrative Terms in the Tarim Languages......................................... .. 19
    Contract Structure Evidence for Kushan Tarim Control........................................... .. 20
    Prakrit Contracts......................................... .................................................. ......... 20
    Khotanese Contracts......................................... .................................................. ... 23
    Tumshuqese Contracts......................................... .................................................. 24
    Uyghur Contracts from Yarkand........................................... ................................. 28
    Uyghur Contracts from Turfan............................................ ................................... 30
    Bactrian Contracts......................................... .................................................. ...... 32
    The Contract Evidence, Summary........................................... ............................... 36
    HISTORICAL EVIDENCE .................................................. ................................................ 37
    Names for the Turfan Region in the Chinese Annals............................................ ...... 37
    SHIMAZAKI on the Nomadic Jushi............................................. ................................. 37
    Ancient and Modern Populations....................................... ........................................ 39
    Han to Tang Turfan Population Growth............................................ ......................... 40
    Stein Summary........................................... .................................................. ............. 41
    Stein on Late Islamization .................................................. ....................................... 44
    ENVIRONMENTAL EVIDENCE .................................................. ........................................ 44
    Climate Change............................................ .................................................. ........... 44
    SUMMARY AND CONCLUSION .................................................. ....................................... 48
    REFERENCES .................................................. .................................................. .............. 52

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

Awale (01-14-2016), DMXX (12-17-2015), khanabadoshi (12-17-2015), surbakhunWeesste (12-18-2015)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast