mtDNA
    A8a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir Afghanistan Iran India United States of America
    I think
    Xata / Xati Xanda / Xenda

should be KH not X like (Khaney) کھانے
    vs. (Xun) خون
    If old noir black & white photography tickles your fancy: Hidden Content
    [I do, respectfully, ask that one doesn't repost, rehost, copy, save, or share the family photos -- such old personal family photos are rare in South Asia, and I would like to share them with those who are curious; I hope I do not regret the decision. The rest of the pictures are publically available online, so do with as you like!]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Kurd (12-15-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    I think
    Xata / Xati Xanda / Xenda

should be KH not X like (Khaney) کھانے
    vs. (Xun) خون
    Absolutely correct, I think I had a Pashto / Kurdi mental overload. Please correct it if possible.

Also, while my memory is still fresh, I meant to let those who are not familiar with the Kurdi or Pashto alphabet know that when I write zh, it doesn't sound like the way it looks, because the letter I want to use is available in Pashto and Kurdi, but not available in Urdu English or even Farsi (I think). I just don't know how to describe it without an audio clip. Maybe Kurdi Or Pashto speakers can help me explain it better or write it better

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (12-15-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Onge
    Nationality
    Earthling
    Y-DNA
    Gangstuh
    mtDNA
    W3a1

Greater Khorasan Afghanistan Ghaznavid Dynasty Late Saffarid Dynasty Dravida Nadu Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurd View Post
    Absolutely correct, I think I had a Pashto / Kurdi mental overload. Please correct it if possible.

Also, while my memory is still fresh, I meant to let those who are not familiar with the Kurdi or Pashto alphabet know that when I write zh, it doesn't sound like the way it looks, because the letter I want to use is available in Pashto and Kurdi, but not available in Urdu English or even Farsi (I think). I just don't know how to describe it without an audio clip. Maybe Kurdi Or Pashto speakers can help me explain it better or write it better
    Zh is pronounced like the G in Gigi.
    "Humanity is all one body;
    To torture another is simply to wound yourself." - Rahman Baba

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Is your ZH like a DZ sound (like Arabic ظ or ض or ذ)? Or perhaps it's between a Z and a J like ژ‎?

http://teflpedia.com/IPA_phoneme_/%CA%92/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced...eolar_sibilant

Pronounced like:

• equation - usually
    • ending in "sion": conclusion - confusion - decision - division - occasion - provision - television - vision
    • ending in "sual": usual - visual
    • ending in "sure": exposure - measure - pleasure
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 12-15-2015 at 10:12 PM.
    [I do, respectfully, ask that one doesn't repost, rehost, copy, save, or share the family photos -- such old personal family photos are rare in South Asia, and I would like to share them with those who are curious; I hope I do not regret the decision. The rest of the pictures are publically available online, so do with as you like!]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

surbakhunWeesste (12-15-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifluous View Post
    Zh is pronounced like the G in Gigi.
    Not really, I think you are thinking of the 2 Pashto dialects. For example in Pashto we say Khwahezhi, but in Pukhto it is Khwahegi. Passhto meaning Kandhar and parts of Balochistan, Pukhto FATA or Pukhtunkhwa. What I am after is the actual sound of Zh, the Pashto version. In Kurdi it is z with 3 dots above it. Maybe I will post a sound clip

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

Mellifluous (12-15-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex

Is your ZH like a DZ sound (like Arabic ظ or ض or ذ)? Or perhaps it's between a Z and a J like ژ‎?
    It is not available in Arabic Urdu English and I think also Farsi. It is only in Kurdi or Pashto. I would say between Z and J

Registered Users
    Sex

http://teflpedia.com/IPA_phoneme_/%CA%92/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced...eolar_sibilant

Pronounced like:

• equation - usually
    • ending in "sion": conclusion - confusion - decision - division - occasion - provision - television - vision
    • ending in "sual": usual - visual
    • ending in "sure": exposure - measure - pleasure
    Yep, thanks. Now how to write it

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Yep, thanks. Now how to write it
    I think zh works the best? Maybe Jz?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Kurd (12-15-2015)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ibex retter; Der Nomad
    mtDNA
    U2b2

Afghanistan United States of America Germany Greater Khorasan Dravida Nadu Azad Baluchistan

Kandahri (Sh) pashto has more sounds and eastern pashto has more retroflex (not really significant tho, just for an understanding)

Pashto pronunciation differs from dialect to dialect; there are certain alphabets that have different sounds. …On top of my mind

1.Comb = ږمنڅ
    The first letter is Zh also J for us while eastern pashto pronounces it as G as in gun
    Zzamundz (Sh), Gamunzz (E).

2. Beautiful: ښاسته
    The first letter is S for us and K for eastern
    Shayesta, Khayesta

3. Moon: سپوږمۍ
    Spoozhmai, Sppogmai

The Zh also Jh sound you are looking for is normally the letter ژ Zhaba as in tongue.
    Last edited by surbakhunWeesste; 12-15-2015 at 10:27 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (12-15-2015), Kurd (12-15-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Onge
    Nationality
    Earthling
    Y-DNA
    Gangstuh
    mtDNA
    W3a1

Greater Khorasan Afghanistan Ghaznavid Dynasty Late Saffarid Dynasty Dravida Nadu Canada
    It is not available in Arabic Urdu English and I think also Farsi. It is only in Kurdi or Pashto. I would say between Z and J

You mean the sound in the word Zhwand, for example? The G in Gigi is between Z and J.
    "Humanity is all one body;
    To torture another is simply to wound yourself." - Rahman Baba

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mellifluous For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (12-15-2015), Kurd (12-15-2015)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast