Thread: Big Y question

Banned
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z63
    mtDNA
    H11a

Big Y question

So I have a new Big Y match, I only have 2 matches at no known SNP differences now but the second one is of the same z63 subclade as myself. The first one, which seems to be the closer match at 229 shared novelties, is not of the same Z63 subclade as myself and the second male. He also has 1 known SNP difference with the second male, my match in the same subclade. What is that all about?

Last edited by I1-Z63; 11-02-2015 at 04:18 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    See flags below
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b->DF27->A7080
    mtDNA
    H5a1f

United States of America Germany Imperial Austrian Empire Germany Palatinate Scotland Switzerland
    There are lots of snps below z63. Keep in mind the match who is not z63 could just have a no call at that location and could actually be z63+. I suggest you join https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/2121/dna-results and discuss with the admin. Otherwise unless more details like lastname, kit number are shared there is not much one can help you here.
    Last edited by thetick; 11-02-2015 at 06:31 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thetick For This Useful Post:

I1-Z63 (11-02-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z63
    mtDNA
    H11a

Quote Originally Posted by thetick View Post
    There are lots of snps below z63. Keep in mind the match who is not z63 could just have a no call at that location and could actually be z63+. I suggested you join https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/2121/dna-results and discuss with the admin. Otherwise unless more details like lastname, kit number are shared there is not much one can help you here.
    The top match I have is z63+ but "ungrouped" in that project. He will submit his BAM to yfull.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to I1-Z63 For This Useful Post:

palamede (11-02-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-Y7198
    mtDNA
    H1

England Scotland Ireland United States of America Vatican Germany Schleswig-Holstein
    I have a questioned that is in a way related to Big Y as it relates to Geno 2.0 Next Generation.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion concerning Geno 2.0 Next Generation. For those who can't afford Big Y and an analysis from Yfull, is Geno 2.0 a reasonable alternative? I know it doesn't discover any new SNPs but I'm curious to know how well it covers the known SNPs out there. And as it's currently selling for $149 and can be uploaded to FTDNA for free and you can also upgrade to Family Finder for $39 it seems like a reasonable choice for those who don't have five or six hundred dollars. Does anyone see any drawbacks in following this course?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Irish, German
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    L21>L226>FGC5639

England Germany Netherlands France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
    I have a questioned that is in a way related to Big Y as it relates to Geno 2.0 Next Generation.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion concerning Geno 2.0 Next Generation. For those who can't afford Big Y and an analysis from Yfull, is Geno 2.0 a reasonable alternative? I know it doesn't discover any new SNPs but I'm curious to know how well it covers the known SNPs out there. And as it's currently selling for $149 and can be uploaded to FTDNA for free and you can also upgrade to Family Finder for $39 it seems like a reasonable choice for those who don't have five or six hundred dollars. Does anyone see any drawbacks in following this course?
    I do not think that the Nat Geo test is very viable these days. If you budget is limited, consider SNP pack tests from FTDNA or SNP panel tests from YSEQ. You can also test private YSNPs of NGS testers if you have any close YSTR matches that have tested with the Big Y test. Advice is also very dependent on what you have tested with YDNA to date, where you are located on the haplotree and how many YSTR mateches that you have. However, the Nat Geo test is so dated now that it is not really economical in my opinion. Neither is the CROMO2 test which is now very obsolete as well. If you have less than 67 YSTR markers, you should first upgrade to 67 markers.

Gold Class Member
    Sex

And as it's currently selling for $149 and can be uploaded to FTDNA for free and you can also upgrade to Family Finder for $39 it seems like a reasonable choice for those who don't have five or six hundred dollars. Does anyone see any drawbacks in following this course?
    If you have not yet ordered the $99 Family Finder, $149 Geno2+ and the $39 FF upgrade is a reasonable choice IMHO. For the extra $90, you get:

- yDNA subhaplogroup--especially useful if neither FTDNA nor Yseq offers SNP packs/panels for your haplogroup (e.g., I1)
    - mtDNA subhaplogroup
    - discount price ($109) on Y-DNA37.

Of course, if you have already ordered Family Finder, Y-DNA37, mtFullSequence, and a SNP pack, Geno2+ doesn't add much.
    Last edited by lgmayka; 05-15-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex

From what I have seen, it has created confusion with too many people and created too many questions with too few answers for them. YMMV, but just know that it isn't a good test for everyone.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-Y7198
    mtDNA
    H1

England Scotland Ireland United States of America Vatican Germany Schleswig-Holstein
    Thank you all for your replies. So far I have a 67 marker test at FTDNA with a fair amount of close and more distant matches. The closest being for the most part in my own surname. I've been assigned I-M253 and predicted by various project administrators as F2642, test Y3649. But I haven't done any SNP tests as of yet. So I was hoping to get a confirmed terminal SNP reading, plus an mtDNA haplogroup designation and an upgrade to Family Finder by going with Geno 2.0.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    See flags below
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b->DF27->A7080
    mtDNA
    H5a1f

United States of America Germany Imperial Austrian Empire Germany Palatinate Scotland Switzerland
    So I was hoping to get a confirmed terminal SNP reading, plus an mtDNA haplogroup designation and an upgrade to Family Finder by going with Geno 2.0.
    As mentioned above Geno 2.0 is not a very useful test. With Geno2.0 very likely you will not have a deep terminal SNP and just as likely have false positives. Your mtDNA results will just be an extremely low resolution test so knowing the continent is probably the best possible result. Geno2.0 is not an upgrade at all to Family Finder as there are less SNPs and no cousin matching.

So given you have the cash to spend below are some options: Number one is very pricy, but the other two are much cheaper.

1) Big Y or FGC are your only upgrades for YDNA.
    2) Full mtDNA is the only option for mtDNA. Any other test is a waste. Some will argue mtDNA is pretty worthless for ancestry in general.
    3) There is no Family Finder upgrade though not an upgrade but you could get Ancestry or 23andme which will provide similar but sometimes new details.
    Last edited by thetick; 05-15-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by thetick View Post
    Geno2.0 is not an upgrade at all to Family Finder as there are less SNPs and no cousin matching.
    3) There is no Family Finder upgrade though not an upgrade but you could get Ancestry or 23andme which will provide similar but sometimes new details.
    False and false. Both Geno2+ and AncestryDNA can be transferred into an FTDNA account and upgraded to full Family Finder status for $39.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (05-15-2016), Michał (05-16-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast