Western European
    Nationality
    Scottish
    Y-DNA
    I-S1954
    mtDNA
    H3

I-S1954

I recently received my DNA results from Scotland's DNA. It came as a surprise to find that I have an 'Anglo Saxon' DNA marker which is I-S1954. I take it that this is not the only Anglo Saxon marker.

Scotland's DNA sent me a map of its distribution which includes 0.5% for Scotland, England and Holland, 1% for Denmark, Lower Saxony, NE Germany and N Poland, 0.1% for S Germany and 0.2% for Ireland. Surprisingly it was 2% for Wales, yet there was none in the actual ancestrial homeland of the Anglo Saxons - Schleswig-Holstein. Yes I know that the Anglo Saxons also included the Frisians and Jutes the later which in turn were called the Danes.

The reuslts have confused me when I try to put them into a historical perspective. How does Wales get the highest results -could this have been due to the Danish influence during the Viking period?

How can I relate these results to my Scottish heritage? I have a Highland surname representing a clan which occupied the central Highlands close to Loch Earn. I expected a Pictish, NE Irish or Norwegian Viking marker - certainly not an Anglo Saxon or Danish one. The settlements of these people were far removed from the central Highlands.

Yes there were Anglo Saxon and Danish settlers in Scotland during the Medieval period but they were only on the east and southern parts of Scotland. One of the maps sent by Scotland's DNA shows a regional distribution for the British Isles and the central Highlands of Scotland has 1% for this marker so too has the central east and SE of Scotland, but it doesn't appear anywhere else in Scotland. This compares with 2% for north England and Wales, 1% for central and SE England and Ulster.

In 685AD the Picts had a big battle with the Northumbrian Angles and defeated them- so maybe my distant ancester was one of the Angles enslaved by the Picts or possibly a maurading Danish Viking who raped my great, great, to the n'th degree Pictish grandmother. My mitrocondrial DNA is H3 which is common throughout western and central Europe.

Of course I expect that long before Anglo Saxon and Viking times interactions between Scotland and places on the other side of the North Sea were going on and that my ancester may have came to Scotland at any time since Neolithic times.

Is there anyone else here with the same marker as myself? I would also like to know if anyone has any historical explainations as to how this marker got to the various parts of Scotland and rest of the British Isles.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillMC For This Useful Post:

MacUalraig (10-24-2015), palamede (10-19-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex

Hi Bill, you should think about joining the Z-140 facebook group. They can compare your results to others in your subclades who have BIG-Y tested. This may allow you estimate the regional distribution of common ancestors among members at different times in the past. The page is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/I1.Z140.YDNA.Project/

Brad

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    Scottish
    Y-DNA
    I-S1954
    mtDNA
    H3

Thanks Brad. This is a closed group so I am still waiting until they accept me.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

Bill, I'm not in your genetic group but have a paper trail back to Fortingall in Perthshire. Why would you expect Norse Vikings in the area you mention around Loch Earn? Also may I ask if you have an individual paper trail back to where your surname is most concentrated or are you just making a generic comment? My own surname has at least half a dozen different genetic lines in the highlands so even if you do personally trace to Loch Earn, I wouldn't be too surprised at whatever terminal SNP you end up with IMHO.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    GEDMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA), 9427684 (GEDCOM) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    Scottish
    Y-DNA
    I-S1954
    mtDNA
    H3

Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    Bill, I'm not in your genetic group but have a paper trail back to Fortingall in Perthshire. Why would you expect Norse Vikings in the area you mention around Loch Earn? Also may I ask if you have an individual paper trail back to where your surname is most concentrated or are you just making a generic comment? My own surname has at least half a dozen different genetic lines in the highlands so even if you do personally trace to Loch Earn, I wouldn't be too surprised at whatever terminal SNP you end up with IMHO.
    Hi MacUalraig,
    I was under the impression that only four types of gene markers could be found throughout the Scottish Highlands - those of the post Ice Age hunter gatherers, those of the Picts, those of the Northern Irish and those of the Norwegean Vikings. The later two of course being more likely in the west rather than in the central or eastern Highlands.

Let's face it MacUalraig surely a Norwegean Viking marker would be more likely than an Anglo Saxon one - and this was the category that ScotlandsDNA described my one as being. I therefore find it very puzzling to put my gene marker into a historical context.

BTW I don't know what you mean by a 'paper trail'. All I know is that my clan name 'MacLaren' originates in the central Highlands near Loch Earn.
    Last edited by BillMC; 10-25-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

If you are a MacLaren you should be proud.
    Obtain,read and memorise the book by Margaret MacLaren 'The MacLarens-A History of Clan Labhran'
    The idea that a Scottish Clan is a homogeneous unit with DNA derived from an all dominant chief is mostly nonsense.The people of Perthshire were a mixed bag of sources.By the time your people took their recorded anglicised surname no doubt the local Chief was a MacLaren and hence your people took their name to secure protection but genetically the MacLaren subordinates were mostly distinct.The Chief's line was quite restricted as you will see in the book.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rncambron For This Useful Post:

BillMC (12-18-2016), spruithean (10-26-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex

Hi Bill, Hopefully William has let you into the Z-140 group by now. I'm not in Z-140 but Z-138 so I can't look at your actual position in their tree

. . . . . .but what you should be able to do is place yourself in a cluster of other individuals with the same terminal SNP and then estimate the TMRCA and geographic spread of these people. This allows you to identify a likely location for this common paternal ancestor at that time. What you're after is the point at which all the names in you immediate subclade begin to cluster only in Scotland. Of course the resolution is limited by the number of other people who have already tested and so the common ancestor may well still be quite early (currently my closest MRCA is at around 100BC and definitely somewhere in Scandinavia), but as more people test you will get higher resolution and nearer to when surnames were introduced.

From what I've read I1 haplotypes like Z-140 & Z-138 most likely came into Scotland as either Roman foederati, Ango-Saxons, Danish or Norse vikings (Z-140 & Z-138 are just more common in southern Scandinavia/Denmark but they do occur in northern Scandinavia as well), or Normans. In general, each of these groups arrived at a quite different period which helps. If your MacLaren ancestors were based near Loch Earn, then the Norse vikings/galloglasses that raided into the Clyde would probably be the group that got closest to them geographically.
    Last edited by drabcon; 10-26-2015 at 05:59 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drabcon For This Useful Post:

BillMC (12-18-2016), JMcB (08-30-2016), spruithean (10-26-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    "Celto-Germanic"
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-Z140+ Y7198?

Canada Netherlands Scotland Ireland Northern Ireland England
    BillMC,

I also have a "highland" surname...

rncambron and drabcon are on the money here I feel,

ScotlandsDNA tends to label various haplogroups with "ethnic" nicknames without much to back up their claims, it is not at all unlikely for there to be Anglo-Saxon descendants in the highlands. Many Anglo-Saxons sought refuge in Scotland after 1066, also remember there were many "germanic" groups being permitted to settle in Scotland in the middle ages including Flemings, Brabanters, etc.

Z140 and it's subgroups could have come to Scotland in any of the ways Drabcon mentioned, from Roman foederati, Northumbrians (Anglo-Saxons), Scandinavian groups or even Flemings/Normans. Also the mention of the Clan MacLaren not being a homogenous group is accurate, there can be many progenitors for names like "MacLaren" or "Ferguson" or what have you, or broken men or people looking for protection would take on the local lords surname as previously mentioned in this thread.
    Y-DNA: I-Z140 (Y7198^?) (Scotland)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 (Ireland), R-L21 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Autosomal FF: 100% European (57% West/Central, 36% British Isles, 7% Scandinavian)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

BillMC (04-11-2017), JMcB (09-01-2016), rncambron (10-26-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    R-L658
    mtDNA
    U6a2a

Australia Ireland Scotland United Nations
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    Bill, I'm not in your genetic group but have a paper trail back to Fortingall in Perthshire...
    We have corresponded on Anthrogenica sometimes but I have not followed up on the Fortingall connection that we share. I descend maternally from Blairs of Gartmore, Perthshire, with a further descent from a Menzies family in Laggan of Comrie near Comrie Castle, at the mouth of Glenlyon. One of that family married the daughter of Alexander McDougall of Drumcharry who forfeited that small estate for supporting Prince Charlie with the Atholl Brigade.

I believe that it is a local claim that what became St Andews University started here at Dull (I can see why it relocated). A famous piping school that rivalled the McCrimmons of Skye was also located here. Apparently Fortingall the place name can also be rendered as Fothergill the surname.

Yours is the only DNA sample I am immediately aware of from Fortingall, but I would expect a mix.

Sex
    Nationality
    Cymraig
    Y-DNA
    I-S1954
    mtDNA
    H5a1p

Wales
    Hi! I too have the surprizing Anglo-Saxon DNA marker I-S1954. My father's family came in the 11800's from Swansea, where there might be a Viking element. So far I can not et back further than 1750's on my direct line. I am also finding it hard to get much further information on this subgroup. My maternal DNA is H5a1p, which is easier to find in a UK pattern. Like you I would be interested in finding others with this marker, and so finding more about my ancestors. According to Genebase (which I used some years ago), one mutation seemed to have risen in the Croatian area about 18,000 years ago. But I've not been able to fins more.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smparry For This Useful Post:

BillMC (12-18-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast