Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celtic, Goidelic
    Y-DNA
    R-L21>DF13>FGC5496
    mtDNA
    H11a2a

UnitedStatesofAmerica Netherlands IsleofMan Scotland Poland
    Ancestry Composition tells you what percent of your DNA comes from each of 22 populations worldwide. The analysis includes DNA you received from all of your ancestors, on both sides of your family. The results reflect where your ancestors lived 500 years ago, before ocean-crossing ships and airplanes came on the scene.

99.5% European (95.5%)
    Northern European (86.5%)
    34.5% British and Irish
    16.6% French and German
    6.3% Scandinavian
    29.2% Nonspecific Northern European

Southern European (5.2%)
    0.3% Sardinian
    0.2% Italian
    4.8% Nonspecific Southern European

4.6% Eastern European (4.6%)
    3.1% Nonspecific European (3.1%)

0.3% Sub-Saharan African

0.2% East Asian & Native American
    0.2% Native American

< 0.1% Unassigned
    100.0%
    MJost
    FtDNA-148326, FGC-0FW1R, R-DF13>FGC5496>FGC5538

Watterson USA GD1/67 & GD3/111, a 2nd born Isle of Man with a GD6/67 & GD8/111. GD1ís fatherís sister- 23andme predicted 3rd Cousin with a 0.91% DNA shared -3 segments. The largest on Chr1 has non-Euro admix affirming my NPE paternal Watterson line via aDNA & YDNA. A second predicted 4th cousin has same DKA b. 1840's Georgia and MDKA d 1703 IOM. A 3rd Cousin FtDNA FF appears to be from the same Watterson line via Ala. FGC5539+ Scot-Ross GD13/111

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MJost For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (12-09-2012)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    W3a1a

UnitedStatesofAmerica UnitedKingdom Ireland Scotland Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post

So I think it is safe to say that while a very high proportion of British + Irish is excellent evidence of such ancestry, a somewhat lower proportion of 30-50% with a large amount of Nonspecific Northern European does not preclude majority or perhaps even full Isles ancestry.
    My mother and her two sisters are 1/4 English (from Cornwall and Northamptonshire; 1850s immigration) and 3/4 colonial, most of which can be traced to early colonial New England and appears to be British based on documented genealogy, surnames, and presence in locations where the population was overwhelmingly of British origin. They only scored 31%, 34%, and 40% British Isles/Irish, respectively. They also scored between 13 and 23 percent French/German, of which there is only about 1-3% French (and no German) documented in the family tree (the French is at least six generations back from a New Netherlands Huguenot family). They each got between 37% and 42% Non-specific Northern European.

The French/German just seems to be high no matter how I look at it. My Aunt Harriet shows both branches of her chromosome 2 as entirely French/German. There just aren't enough places for French and Germans to hide in our family tree to account for that.

By comparison, I got 47% British/Irish and only 6% French/German. I have about 1/8 German ancestry on my father's side, so the 6% for me is fairly accurate.

...and they're still fiddling with the numbers, so the small NA segment my mother had has disappeared, but I still have a small NA segment that I received from my mother
    Last edited by Tregowath; 12-09-2012 at 01:54 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tregowath For This Useful Post:

AJL (12-09-2012)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    See flags below
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    SRY-2627
    mtDNA
    H5a1f

UnitedStatesofAmerica GermanyImperial Poland Switzerland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean M View Post
    It looks like the new tool can identify British and Irish easily enough. My result is similar to Clinton's - just a fraction higher B & I (99.9% on speculative, 99.8% standard.)

I think it's more likely your sample was used in the population sample. If you answered your AF questionnaire then most like it was and then of course your DNA is a high match to your own DNA. With that said 23andme targeted their largest customer base ( European and Jewish ancestry) and this is exactly what we are seeing in this results.

I'm thrilled with my results and match my known ancestry very closely. My only concern is the German/French percentage appears smaller than expected for me and others..also the above poster thought it was quite high. I suspect there is an issue there since many at 23andme have mentioned the German / French percentages seemed off.
    Last edited by thetick; 12-09-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/American
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H1

Does anyone know if there is a noise threshold? My mother gets 0.1% SSA from one parent on chr 11 and 0.1% East Asian from the other on the same chr! They're not in the same place, but the East Asian is on the non specific North Euro half and the SSA is on the British/Irish half. Her mother was 100% British so if it is from her mother then I don't know how it got there! All her ancestors were from the East Midlands of England apart from a GGGGGrandmother who was Irish. My mother's father was unknown American with some ancestry from Hungary so I thought that might explain the non specific North Euro half with the East Asian.

Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

UnitedKingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by thetick View Post
    I think it's more likely your sample was used in the population sample.
    Yes I came to that conclusion after the reply on this thread from AJL. If it is any consolation to anyone, the lineages of my four grandparents do trace back to Britain as far as I can go. Admittedly that is not all that far on most lines - 18th-19th century. The surnames so far uncovered are all British except for one Norman, which is likely to be pretty standard. I have no known Welsh lines, which could be a problem for some, if others in the population sample are also short on Welsh.
    Last edited by Jean M; 12-09-2012 at 03:48 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

Clinton P (12-09-2012)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    See flags below
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    SRY-2627
    mtDNA
    H5a1f

UnitedStatesofAmerica GermanyImperial Poland Switzerland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a noise threshold? My mother gets 0.1% SSA from one parent on chr 11 and 0.1% East Asian from the other on the same chr!
    .1% is the definition of noise. Keep in mind almost no one is anywhere close to 100% a component even the sample populations, so that .1% SSA and East Asian is much more likely not in your recent ancestry. Roughly speaking I would only take anything in the 1-2% seriously and even then there's a good chance of still being noise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thetick For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (12-09-2012)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian-Semitic
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    T
    mtDNA
    J1b

Canada UnitedStatesofAmerica Yemen Adygea Iraq
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a noise threshold? My mother gets 0.1% SSA from one parent on chr 11 and 0.1% East Asian from the other on the same chr! They're not in the same place, but the East Asian is on the non specific North Euro half and the SSA is on the British/Irish half. Her mother was 100% British so if it is from her mother then I don't know how it got there! All her ancestors were from the East Midlands of England apart from a GGGGGrandmother who was Irish. My mother's father was unknown American with some ancestry from Hungary so I thought that might explain the non specific North Euro half with the East Asian.
    African slaves were present in England, it can also have come via Berber ancestry. Since the Berbers did raid as far as Ireland at one time to.

Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

UnitedKingdom
    @ Alanson

It's amazing how colourful the history of my country becomes, viewed from Canada!

A few African slaves were brought to England in the 18th century by slave-owners in the West Indies, but it was established fairly soon that slavery was unacceptable on these shores. A very few West Indian slave-owners brought back to England their own children by part-Africans. In some cases they could have easily passed as white. I researched one case (to do with a house I was working on), where the son of an English slave owner and West Indian octoroon married in England and had descendants. So that's a teeny, teeny number in a population of many millions even then.

Barbary pirates raided these shores to take slaves. If you have evidence that they went in for rape as well as pillage, it's news to me.

In short, the chances of any individual Briton having even a tiny bit of SSA ancestry from the last few centuries is roughly equivalent to the chance of being struck by lightening. It is not impossible, but I wouldn't bother investigating the possibility if all you get from Ancestry Composition is noise level SSA.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

DMXX (12-11-2012)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    White
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a2f
    mtDNA
    U5a1

Spain Italy Scotland Ireland UnitedStatesofAmerica
    Untitled.jpgJesse_McClure_Full_20121209100734BGA1 (4).png

So I have .2% Sub-Saharan African on a few different websites. My 23andme results as well as Douglas McDonald show the same segment on my ancestry composition as being Sub-Saharan African. I'm American with full European ancestry. I don't think this is genetic noise however and i'm curious as to whether this sub-saharan dna is from the last few hundred years or from the original immigration out of Africa during the Neolithic Era. I am spanish, italian and Irish and both Spain and Italy are known to have a tiny fraction of african influence in their ancestry and i'm wondering if that's a possibility. Or possibly an African slave here in the U.S. since my Dad's family as been in the U.S. since the early 1800's. I understand that .2% has no real bearing at all genetically however it would be interesting to know if I have an African Ancestor within the last few hundred years. Has anyone with an ancestral background from a country that has no history of African slavery like that of Japan or Scandanavia had any tiny amounts of sub-saharan african markers? If that was the case than I would definitely agree that this is just genetic noise or ancient African influence from the Neolithic migration out of Africa.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Manakel For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (01-10-2013)

Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA
    H

UnitedKingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    whether this sub-saharan dna is from the last few hundred years or from the original immigration out of Africa during the Neolithic Era.
    I'm not entirely sure what you have in mind. Our species spread out of Africa maybe 100,000 or 50,000 years ago (depending on which theory you favour. That was long before the Neolithic (which was when farming began - about 11,000 years ago in the Near East.) But there was another migration then I think.

Out-of Africa

The group of Homo sapiens who left Africa originally would of course be pretty much like their relatives who stayed in Africa genetically. The group who left would not encompass all the genetic variety that remained in Africa. They would be a sub-set of it. But more importantly all sorts of genetic changes have taken place since then in people all across the world. Sub-Saharan Africans today are not exactly like their remote ancestors of 100,000 years ago. Asians are not exactly like their remote ancestors who first arrived in Asia. Etc. Picture a bunch of mutations arising in one continent, which then get spread around in that continent over millennia in which there was very little movement between continents, so people mainly interbred within that continent. Now picture that repeated in each continent. So today there are on average continental differences between people. It is those continental differences that get labelled "race". It is those continental differences that 23andMe and other companies can pick up. So if your .2% Sub-Saharan African is not just noise, it won't have anything to do with the Out-of-Africa scenario.

Neolithic

As far as I can work out on available evidence, there was another migration out of Africa around the time of the Neolithic, when the Sahara was green. An African mtDNA L2 has been found at an early Neolithic site in the Near East. Then some of the people who had filtered north into the Near East and adopted farming seem to have spread it into North Africa and also contributed to its spread across the northern shores of the Mediterranean. This may have contributed some small part of the SSA that shows up at low level in Iberia.

Moorish dominion

One study calculated that all Southern Europeans have inherited 1%–3% African ancestry with an average mixture date of around 55 generations ago. That would fit the period of the conquest of much of Iberia by the Umayyad Caliphate. The Arabs began the slave trade which took so many sub-Saharan Africans into servitude far from home.