Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H

Italy Sicily Portugal Poland Cape Verde
    Y-dna and autosomal do not always correlate.

You can lose the entire y-dna or mtdna trail of an invading group. To prove this I am going to use New World groups because I do not know how this would work for Ireland but try to follow along.

The Dominican population is largely European on the paternal side, and African on its maternal side. Pretend that Irish was settled en masse by men from the Dominican Republic and mixed. You'd end up with Irish with large amounts of SSA DNA but no trace of it in their haplogroups.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sikeliot For This Useful Post:

fridurich (Today), spruithean (Today)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA
    U4d3

Ireland
    It's hardly surprising that Doyle though is actual Gaelic origin. The idea that it was a 'Norse surname' showed over-literalism when it came to translation. After all the word Dubhghall became a personal name, which is anglisced as Dugall. One of earliest references I can see of it been used as a personla name is the following in the Annals of Ulster:

U914.3

Niall son of Aed made an expedition into Dál Araidi in the month of June. Loingsech grandson of Lethlabar, king of Dál Araidi, came upon him at Fregabal and was defeated, and left behind on his retreat Flathruae grandson of Lethlabar, his kinsman. Aed son of Eochucán, king of the Province, and Loingsech, king of Dál Araidi, met them again at Carn Éirenn and were defeated. Cerrán son of Colman, chief of Cenél Maelchi, and the son of Allacán son of Laíchthechán, and others, were left behind. Aed, however, returning from the flight with a very few, and fiercely resisting during the flight, wiped out some of Niall's soldiers. His son Dubgall was wounded and escaped.
    U925.1
    Dubgall son of Aed, king of Ulaid, was killed by his own people.
    U980.5
    Dubgall son of Donnchad, heir designate of Ailech, was killed by his own kinsman, i.e. Muiredach son of Flann. Muiredach son of Flann was beheaded by his own sept before a full month had passed.
    These are high prestige individuals bearing it as a first name in the 10th century.
    (R1b-DF41+)
    (MtDNA: U4d3)

How to pronounce my username (modern Irish):
    Hidden Content

Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970