Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austria United Kingdom Germany Imperial

Talking A curious X-match of mine

I only have 13 (I think it is) X-matches after all these years. I recently got the 13th one. It is to a female in Norway (email address in Norway). Her apparent brother or close relative with the same surname also came in, but he is only an FF match (no X-match). Said female is also an FF match. That is the only basic facts I have.

My Norwegian ancestry is entirely from my father. I am assuming that this Norwegian X-match is not related to him, since I did not get a X chromosome from my dad. So this X-match must be from my mother's side. According to the family tree I constructed for myself, the only way that X-match could happen is via a line going back to Delaware Swedes in colonial times. I notice one line is given as coming from Varmland province on the Norwegian border.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

AJL (07-10-2015), Grossvater (06-27-2015), khanabadoshi (08-01-2015), Rebecca (06-14-2016), Reith (07-30-2015)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    I notice one line is given as coming from Varmland province on the Norwegian border.
    That's an interesting area because it was home to a number of Forest Finns, some of whom came to New Sweden.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austria United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    That's an interesting area because it was home to a number of Forest Finns, some of whom came to New Sweden.
    That's what I was thinking (Forest Finns). But since I wrote the above post, I did an "in common with", and see there are also American connections over and above the Norwegian names. Actually, those names were on her brother's tree. She didn't give out any information about herself.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

AJL (07-10-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA
    H5

United States of America Canada
    I only have 13 (I think it is) X-matches after all these years. I recently got the 13th one. It is to a female in Norway (email address in Norway). Her apparent brother or close relative with the same surname also came in, but he is only an FF match (no X-match). Said female is also an FF match. That is the only basic facts I have.
    So you are talking about X-matches on Family Finder? Have you looked at X-matches on GEDmatch.com?

Jack

7. The Following User Says Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

AJL (07-30-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

Quote Originally Posted by C J Wyatt III View Post
    So you are talking about X-matches on Family Finder? Have you looked at X-matches on GEDmatch.com?

Jack
    No, I've never done anything with Gedmatch. With my wobbly WiFi connection, I don't try to do things like data downloading/uploading. I have lots of Scandinavian FF matches that I don't get involved with. Their surnames are this-son and that-dotter by the dozens.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA
    H5

No, I've never done anything with Gedmatch. With my wobbly WiFi connection, I don't try to do things like data downloading/uploading. I have lots of Scandinavian FF matches that I don't get involved with. Their surnames are this-son and that-dotter by the dozens.
    Thank you, Baltimore1937.

Family Finder does not give you anything close to the true number of your X-DNA connections. If you were able to upload to GEDmatch, I think you would find a bunch more. My mother gets a whole lot of X-DNA matches, so I would be curious to compare. It's a long shot, but by chance do you have anyone with my surname on your FF match list?

Jack Wyatt

Sex

In 2014 Family Tree DNA added X chromosome matches to those who already match on the autosomes. Unfortunately some people have significant X matches with no autosomal match and will not show up as a match at all at FTDNA. The X is only one out of many chromosomes so it also takes a large population of people to get a match in the first place.

The X match list is full of people who only match at 1 cM on the X so that list of X matches is inflated, particularly for women. I am a female and I have 166 "X matches" (most are not meaningful) outside my immediate family but my father has only 4 X matches at FTDNA. He has more than a thousand autosomal matches. This gender difference is typical. My father has more total FF autosomal matches than I do and the overall numbers of females are similar to males. Endogamous populations will show proportionally more X matches than this in general.

You will often need to increase the threshold to 5+ cM or higher at Family Tree DNA to find a meaningful X match. Most of the matches for females at FTDNA are false positives and those should disappear above 10 cM.

The threshold of 1 cM causes many more matches for females than for males. Females will have a lot of pseudo-segment matches due to the fact that they have two X chromosomes and these are not phased. Males are naturally phased and the segment matches are more likely to be identical-by-descent because the sequence is not ambiguous for their single X chromosome. Therefore, the sensitivity of the test is much higher for males. The gender differences are enormous and it is not just because females have twice as many X chromosomes to match.

Kathy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kjjohnston For This Useful Post:

dp (07-31-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA
    H5

Kathy, if you were looking for X-DNA matches on GEDmatch, what parameters would you use?

Jack Wyatt

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    Reading these posts got me thinking about X matches of my relatives at 23andme (Countries of Ancestry).
    paternal aunt's:

[the Austrian match surprised me. The aunt below is maternal 2nd cousin of the one below. The two don't share many foreign matches.]

maternal aunt's:

[I was glad to see a Scandinavian match. I wonder why this one has so many more X matches?]
    -dp

PS: is there an IBD/IBS threshold for X segments. Would say 12cM be enough to assume that the segment is IBD?
    In other words does at least the first aunt share IBD -X- segments with foreign matches?
    Last edited by dp; 07-31-2015 at 07:43 PM.
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA
    H5

David,

Are your aunts' kits on GEDmatch? I'd like to take a look if it is possible.

Thanks.

Jack Wyatt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast