Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 View Post
    How do you find out how many matches you have on ancestrydna?
    Go to your DNA results summary where you also find your ethnicity estimates on the left. On the right you will see a button "view all DNA matches". It will be interesting to know how many New Worlder matches you have.
    Hidden Content
    Exploring the Ethnic Origins of the Afro-Diaspora

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Swahili
    Nationality
    Kenyan

Kenya Tanzania United Kingdom Iran African Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Felipe View Post
    It does look nearly like a Swahili result however i think more typically a combination of only SE Bantu + Cameroon/Congo + some minor Middle East will be seen for fully Swahili's. The socalled "Nigeria" region might indeed also be reported for people outside of Nigeria, however i'm very doubtful it would be as prominent as in this case. Also the minor but still considerable (above tracelevel) amounts of Ivory Coast/Ghana + Benin togo already betray that this person is indeed only half Swahili.

What i find interesting is that this half Swahili person shows no socalled "Africa North" at all. While you do show 4% in addition to your 3% Middle East. I am inclined to think that you inherited this socalled North African component by way of your Kikiyu side, representing some ancient and widespread Cushitic component for them.
    I was told that I have Middle Eastern ancestry through both of my two GGG grandfathers on both sides I think that's why I score an exact 7%. I'm interested if I'm a descendant of Ibn Battuta's Caravan/crew who reached and maybe settled in Mombasa. I was told that Mombasa has a big Algerian community too by my mums friend whose Algerian but born in Mombasa.

Could the European Jewish that person scores be from the Portuguese Armada which settled in Mombasa, Lamu and Kilwa, I mean there were European Jews in Iberia right?

And yes SE Bantu + Cameroon/Congo + some minor Middle East , some Swahilis even have East Asian and Iberian or European for those who come from he Comoros. I was told this by a tour guide in my Pemba Island visit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 For This Useful Post:

kikkk (02-18-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Swahili
    Nationality
    Kenyan

Kenya Tanzania United Kingdom Iran African Union
    Go to your DNA results summary where you also find your ethnicity estimates on the left. On the right you will see a button "view all DNA matches". It will be interesting to know how many New Worlder matches you have.
    Most of my DNA matches are New Worlders and East Africans how many I cant find out.
    Last edited by SWAHILLI_PRINCE16; 12-18-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Most of my DNA matches are New Worlders and East Africans how many I cant find out.
    Are your matches limited to just one page or do you have several pages of AncestryDNA matches? I have seen the number of matches for several Africans now. And it's very interesting how some nationalities get many more pages than others. Obviously given Ancestry's customer database being mostly geared to Americans this will correlate with the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade patterns. Sofar from what i've seen:

Liberia (Kru/Kpelle): 28 pages (each page has 50 matches i believe)
    Liberia (Kpelle, Grebo, Gola): 24 pages
    Nigeria (Igbo) : 14 pages
    Nigeria/Sierra Leone (Yoruba/Krio): 8 pages
    Uganda (Aringa/Kakwa): two single matches on 1 page
    Last edited by Don Felipe; 01-27-2017 at 11:45 PM.
    Hidden Content

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

kikkk (02-18-2017), NiloSaharan (01-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Gr8 work, are there any Swahili results you might like to share as it would be interesting to see the similarity between other Swahilis from Kenya, Tanzania and Zanzibar and me.
    I have one new result from a half Tanzanian, half Russian person, i don't know for sure but it seems that she might be (partially ) Swahili judging from the minor Asian and West Asian scores. You can see the breakdown on this page:

North & East African AncestryDNA Results
    Last edited by Don Felipe; 01-27-2017 at 11:44 PM.
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Last edited by Don Felipe; 02-17-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    Hidden Content

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

kikkk (02-18-2017), NiloSaharan (02-18-2017), Oleg (Rus) (02-17-2017)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Central/E. Sudanic
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    A-M13 (Y25085)
    mtDNA
    L3x2b

Canada Uganda Southern Sudan Chad Ethiopia Omo Region Sudan

From the sample set of South Africans, it's odd to see Senegalese, Malian and North African affinities whereas those of the more geographically northern countries of Cameroon and Congo have lesser/none existent traces of these affinities - could one of the South African samples have recent admixture from an ancestor bordering the Sahel? - that Senegalese 4.9% max seems quite high.
    Last edited by NiloSaharan; 02-18-2017 at 08:14 AM.
    PuntDNAL K8
    Population: Hidden Content 46.16, Ubangian_Congo 9.56, W_Benue_Congo 24.21, Eastern_HG 2.09, E_Benue_Congo 12.94, Omotic 5.05
    Single Population Sharing: Hidden Content 14.17, Hidden Content 17.26, South_Sudanese 25.21, South_Sudan_Anuak 25.65, Cameroon_Mada 28.57, Ethiopian_Gumuz 33.91, Kenyan_Maasai 36.07, Kenyan_Bantu 38.05, Chad_Kaba 40.04, DRC_Hema 42.08, Kenyan_Luhya 46.64

The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it - Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NiloSaharan For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (03-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by NiloSaharan View Post
    From the sample set of South Africans, it's odd to see Senegalese, Malian and North African affinities whereas those of the more geographically northern countries of Cameroon and Congo have lesser/none existent traces of these affinities - could one of the South African samples have recent admixture from an ancestor bordering the Sahel? - that Senegalese 4.9% max seems quite high.
    It is indeed all due to only one of my still very minimal number of South African samples. It is a Coloured person who also has non-African admixture so i had to scale his African breakdown to 100%. His original amount for Senegal was 2% out of 41% African, and only at trace level.

While i do not know anything further about his background i do know that the African origins of the Cape Coloured are quite diverse as the Dutch brought over slaves from not only southeastern Africa (Mozambique & Madagascar) but also at times from West & Central Africa. So that history might very well explain it. Coloured people are bound to show more diversity not only in their non-African amounts but also in their African breakdown.

History of slavery and early colonisation in South Africa

I have since added 2 new South African results though and their SE Bantu amounts are among the highest i have seen safe yours One of them has 94% Southeastern Bantu but i don't have a screenshot the other one has 78% and intriguingly also seems to have some diluted Portuguese lineage in addition to an also rather high Khoisan score of 11%.

Last edited by Don Felipe; 03-06-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

NiloSaharan (03-05-2017)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234