Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    H3

Scotland Spain

X Match Question

On my GEDmatch matches there is only one person among my 1,500 matches who is an X match AND a match proper: my half-sister. I share some X chromosome matches with a few others, the largest of them being 24 cM. However, when I check the one-to-one autosomal comparison utility on those X matches using 7cm/700SNPS, I do not match ANY of them.

Is this unusual?

Thank you.

Wolfie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfie For This Useful Post:

Smilelover (10-22-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex

No more unusual than matching on just one autosomal chromosome.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ann Turner For This Useful Post:

Wolfie (09-15-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    Dear Wolfie,
    Because of your post I got curious on X match lengths. Out of curiousity I checked my various kits. Someone matches my mom for 22.51 cM (excluding me). For me, (excluding mom) the largest match was 17 cM. For my uncle, his largest -X- match was for 16cM.
    dp :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    On my GEDmatch matches there is only one person among my 1,500 matches who is an X match AND a match proper: my half-sister. I share some X chromosome matches with a few others, the largest of them being 24 cM. However, when I check the one-to-one autosomal comparison utility on those X matches using 7cm/700SNPS, I do not match ANY of them.

Is this unusual?

Thank you.

Wolfie
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

Wolfie (09-15-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

Wolfie (09-15-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    H3

Scotland Spain
    GEDmatch (in red letters) says that you should use the 7cM/700SNP comparison, and that if there is no match, then you should not contact the person. What would that mean regarding my X matches, whom I do not match otherwise?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1c1

GEDmatch (in red letters) says that you should use the 7cM/700SNP comparison, and that if there is no match, then you should not contact the person. What would that mean regarding my X matches, whom I do not match otherwise?
    GEDMATCH:
    To qualify as a 'match' in the genealogical time frame, results must have a largest Autosomal segment that has at least 700 SNPs and be at least 7 cM.
    It must have BOTH. Results with the largest segment less than 7 cM are highlighted in pink.
    In general, the results shown below use thresholds LESS than 7cm / 700 SNPs.
    PLEASE verify any result shown on this list with the one-to-one comparison tool before assuming any match is real.
    To check the number of SNPs, click on the 'A' on the same line to view the one-to-one comparison detail.

DP:
    X & Y are allosomes. For your particular question, for segment length, I'm not sure.
    Last edited by dp; 09-15-2014 at 09:33 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

Wolfie (09-15-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1c1

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Turner View Post
    No more unusual than matching on just one autosomal chromosome.
    is "Going Through a Phase: Haplotyping the Female X Chromosomes" a paper written by you perhaps.
    dp :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

Wolfie (09-15-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
    GEDMATCH:
    To qualify as a 'match' in the genealogical time frame, results must have a largest Autosomal segment that has at least 700 SNPs and be at least 7 cM.
    It must have BOTH. Results with the largest segment less than 7 cM are highlighted in pink.
    In general, the results shown below use thresholds LESS than 7cm / 700 SNPs.
    PLEASE verify any result shown on this list with the one-to-one comparison tool before assuming any match is real.
    To check the number of SNPs, click on the 'A' on the same line to view the one-to-one comparison detail.

DP:
    X & Y are allosomes. For your particular question, for segment length, I'm not sure.
    In practice what you say is true for Family Tree DNA, but that's because they have never computed matches based on the X chromosome. They just display any X segments that are present in matches they've already computed, based on the autosomes. The vast majority of the X segments you see at FTDNA will be pseudo-segments.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    H3

Scotland Spain
    Thank you, Ann. I just read your article, mentioned here by David Powell. I am trying to understand this mysterious science. Before embarking on the journey to find my biological father (July 18, 2014), I had absolutely no knowledge of this sort of thing, save a tiny bit gleaned from a class in high school eons ago. I have a question for you. Is it true that full-sisters ALWAYS match the entire X? Are there ever exceptions?

Wolfie

Registered Users
    Sex

Thank you, Ann. I just read your article, mentioned here by David Powell. I am trying to understand this mysterious science. Before embarking on the journey to find my biological father (July 18, 2014), I had absolutely no knowledge of this sort of thing, save a tiny bit gleaned from a class in high school eons ago. I have a question for you. Is it true that full-sisters ALWAYS match the entire X? Are there ever exceptions?

Wolfie
    The exceptions are rather minor, and perhaps theoretical. The very tips of the X chromosome do exchange DNA with the very tips of the Y chromosome, and the exact points of exchange could differ with each conception. Or a mutation could occur during the creation of different sperm (but the mutation rate is exceedingly low). But basically, full sisters will be at least half-identical as far as we can tell with our current testing procedures.

Full sisters will also (usually) be completely identical for portions of the X. The mother recombines her two X chromosomes when creating an egg. In some regions her daughters will get the same stuff and in other regions they will get different stuff.

The animations at this website give a good overview of the different patterns of inheritance.

http://www.smgf.org/pages/animations.jspx

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ann Turner For This Useful Post:

randwulf (03-07-2015), Wolfie (09-16-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast