Quote Originally Posted by vintage_sky View Post
Lol I find this with SOME americans. They're all out to find native American dna. I always wondered and started a massive debate once under the title. Why do so many Americans claim Native American DNA - is it because they want benefits, is it because it makes them feel like the belong in America after the almost complete annihilation of the First People or is it simply because it's trendy and relevant?

Needless to say, I never asked the question again lol
I'm skeptical as well but honestly, much of the talk is hearsay from a person's family. I'm skeptical of that hearsay, particularly - not so much in whether that person is telling the truth. I think many actually believe it to be the truth. Based on what few studies and stats I've seen regarding the subject, most Americans have slim to nil detectible Amerindian. There's a chance that, in many cases, Amerindian admixture could've been "bred out" - so to speak, so I'm always on the fence about what I believe when I'm told a person has NA ancestry.

One interesting example in regards to Black Americans with NA ancestry, is that sometimes people say certain lighter skinned ancestors were Native American or partly so. In most cases, I believe the person is primarily or mostly Afro/Euro as they look that way. I think Amerindian ancestry is welcomed to many black and white Americans' family line whereas there's a stigma associated with African ancestry in White Americans or European ancestry in Black Americans besides more obvious, recent admixture. History influences the perception, surely.