Thread: mtDNA G3a in southeastern Poland

Gold Class Member
    Sex

mtDNA G3a in southeastern Poland

A member of my project received his full mitochondrial sequencing result today: G3a.
    Code:
    310294	Kasia/Katherine Mastylak, b. 1896 and d. 1923	G3a	16223T, 16274A, 16362C, 16390A, 16519C	73G, 263G, 315.1C, 489C
    Matrilineage is from southeastern Poland.

There is no FTDNA project for mtDNA G.

Wikipedia says:
    ---
    Subclade G3 is relatively rare. It has been found mainly among Koreans,[12] Tibetans, and presently Turkic- or Mongolic-speaking populations in southern Siberia and vicinity, and occasionally among Evenks in Buryatia, Japanese, Pumi, Tajiks, Hmong and Tujia in western Hunan, and Vietnamese.
    ---

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

Aileena (07-07-2015), Scarlet Ibis (01-08-2014), Táltos (01-19-2015)

Administrator
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    A member of my project received his full mitochondrial sequencing result today: G3a.
    Code:
    310294	Kasia/Katherine Mastylak, b. 1896 and d. 1923	G3a	16223T, 16274A, 16362C, 16390A, 16519C	73G, 263G, 315.1C, 489C
    Matrilineage is from southeastern Poland.

There is no FTDNA project for mtDNA G.

Wikipedia says:
    ---
    Subclade G3 is relatively rare. It has been found mainly among Koreans,[12] Tibetans, and presently Turkic- or Mongolic-speaking populations in southern Siberia and vicinity, and occasionally among Evenks in Buryatia, Japanese, Pumi, Tajiks, Hmong and Tujia in western Hunan, and Vietnamese.
    ---

Interesting....and someone should change the fact that there's no FTDNA project for G.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF13*
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Norway Russia Tatarstan Arms Germany Imperial Romani Faroe Islands England
    My guess its connected to the same G2a ive been tracking for a few years now, it appears at low frequencies in the Balkans and northwards into Scandinavia. From what i can tell it came with Tatar speaking groups, when and how is likely different in each case. in the case of Norwegian G2a it might be linked to a multi-ethnic mercenary army that seems to have settled in Scandinavia during the 1700's.

as i wrote on another forum:
    And when doing this research i found that the G2a connection is likely linked to the arrival of these Romani into Norway with the multi-ethnic mercenary army that Charles XII led on his return to Scandinavia from the Ottoman exile. As atleast two of the G2a lineages i have found are of recorded Norwegian ancestry, so my guess at this point is that someone with (Tatar?) or similar ancestry joined the mercenary army in the Balkans, and thus G2a found its way into the Norwegian and also Romani genepool in Scandinavia.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

Aileena (07-07-2015), iromko (09-18-2016), palamede (01-13-2015), Scarlet Ibis (01-08-2014)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Q1b1a(L245+,YP1003+)
    mtDNA
    H23

Italy Two Sicilies Germany Palatinate Lithuania Poland Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Ibis View Post
    Interesting....and someone should change the fact that there's no FTDNA project for G.
    And as of today, there is. https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/gmt-dna/about
    mt-haplogroup G: Everyone tested as G (mtDNA) welcome!
    If you have tested mtDNA (mitochondrial DNA) and belong to haplogroup G, please join our project to help us all discover more.

This project aims to discover and map the origin and distribution of mitochondrial haplogroup G.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Táltos For This Useful Post:

Aileena (07-07-2015), Scarlet Ibis (06-14-2015)