Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: AncestryDNA Ethnicity Estimates

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy
    Ancestry DNA gives me less than 1% Iberian, yet Eurogenes K36 gives me 12%. which one has grossly miscalculated?

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    Ancestry DNA gives me less than 1% Iberian, yet Eurogenes K36 gives me 12%. which one has grossly miscalculated?
    I would trust a company you have to pay money to that analyzes 40 different areas of your DNA using 700,000 snps and comparing it to reference panels over a free program based on a predetermined algorithm that gives you your results in a few seconds. My opinion could be incorrect though.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    I would trust a company you have to pay money to that analyzes 40 different areas of your DNA using 700,000 snps and comparing it to reference panels over a free program based on a predetermined algorithm that gives you your results in a few seconds. My opinion could be incorrect though.
    wow. GEDmatch calculators use the exact same data but because they do so for free means they have no bias nor do they have incentive to play favorites.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-23-2017), malkal (09-15-2017)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA
    J1c

United States of America Scotland
    Let's see if your promise holds up in my case. Native born Scot with Irish ancestors. Paper trail in Scotland to mid 1700's. Irish trail to about 1800, predominately Northern Ireland. Some of the family names can be traced back in antiquity. I mention this because time has spread Scandinavian genes across the Isles with preponderance in the North and diminishing percentages moving South and West. Scandinavian is part of the British Isles makeup and regional percentages are readily available. So, here I am with my horns in hand anxiously awaiting that coronation, 'Viking', but alas it is not to be. Ancestrydna says as hard as we try with our bountiful regions and snps at our beckoned call. Your Scandinavian has slip through our snps. A zero for it, was all we could find.

I could not and would not accept their Vikingless results. Off to Livingdna did I go. They sifted and sifted through their snps until they confirmed the coronation could proceed as planned. Small horns at best, but a full fledge 4.6% Viking I be. Though is a fleeting word. Welcome Joe

Registered Users

I just don't think the Eurogenes K36 categories correlate to where your ancestors are from anytime recently. Maybe they have some Bronze Age or Neolithic correlations? Don't know.

In response to Joe I think Scandinavia, Great Britain, and Europe West are interchangeable on these sites.
    Last edited by mwauthy; 08-23-2017 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Addition

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy
    I just don't think the Eurogenes K36 categories correlate to where your ancestors are from anytime recently. Maybe they have some Bronze Age or Neolithic correlations? Don't know.

In response to Joe I think Scandinavia, Great Britain, and Europe West are interchangeable on these sites.
    not so there either. Ancestry DNA has separate percentages for me with respect to Great Britton, Scandinavia and Western Europe.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    not so there either. Ancestry DNA has separate percentages for me with respect to Great Britton, Scandinavia and Western Europe.
    Myself as well. My point was northwestern European DNA sometimes pops up as Great Britain, Europe West, and Scandinavian on these websites. I have a friend who has take 7 DNA tests and in some cases his majority is Great Britain, other times it's Western Europe, and sometimes a mix of the three with a large Scandinavian percentage.

Plus, there are several people on this website who have posted scores for themselves, siblings, and parents and those three regions have interchangeable scores but overall the northwestern totals are similar.

Lastly, if you look at the historical migrations of these areas it makes sense. England had large invasions of Germanic tribes and Vikings from Scandinavia as did other areas of northwestern Europe.

Registered Users
    Sex

Agreed. Using Ged ancestry calcs in comparison with my family tree has increased my understanding of my ancestry. Having examined my dna using All the calcs showed me trends and nuances. The data Ancestry gave was spot on but "safe" and excludded some good info that was "a risky bet" however, GED opened up a oprituniry to do my own research and uncover much more.

Forgot to add : beyond a mathamatical doubt some of my germanic ancestery is from the UK. Dad was "half German" and Ancestry says 55% German...
    Last edited by TB1977; 09-06-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to add :

Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA
    J1a2b1-Z1842
    mtDNA
    H2a2b1

United States of America
    AncestryDNA Estimates

31% Europe West
    26% Scandinavian
    19% Great Britain
    14% Italy/Greece
    5% Ireland
    (Low Confidence Region)
    4% Europe East
    <1% Iberian Peninsula

Sex
    Ethnicity
    White
    Nationality
    Sicilian

Italy Sicily Canada
    Europe 95%

Europe West 41% (12%-69%)
    Italy/Greece 20% (6%-35%)
    Great Britain 14% (0%-39%)
    Ireland 12% (0%-26%)
    European Jewish 3% (0%-8%)
    Iberian Peninsula 3% (0%-10%
    Europe East < 1% (0%-3%)
    Scandinavia < 1% (0%-4%)

West Asia 5%

Caucasus 2% (0%-8%)
    Middle East 3% (0%-7%)

And compared to GedMatch..(EUtest)
    Atlantic 26.54
    North_Sea 24.85
    West_Med 14.11
    Baltic 10.28
    West_Asian 8.45
    East_Med 8.29
    Eastern_Euro 3.47
    Red_Sea 1.59
    Oceanian 1.14
    Last edited by AngryLeeloo94; 09-14-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast