Italy/Greece 6%
    Finnish/Northern Russia 4%
    Europe East < 1%

Better than FTDNA's PF which gave me

95.44% European (Orcadian)
    4.56% Middle East: Mixed

Thoughts or your own results are very welcome

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Solothurn For This Useful Post:

AJL (01-20-2016), Anglecynn (12-29-2013), Asimakidis (12-07-2016), Don Felipe (08-22-2017), Elizabeth (06-16-2017), evon (12-29-2013), Goodman (06-12-2016), Ian B (10-19-2013), NK19191 (12-03-2013), Scarlet Ibis (10-18-2013), Sein (11-16-2013), sgdavies@hotmail.com (09-06-2016)

Administrator
    Sex

Is this the updated ancestrydna test? It looks like they're still overestimating "Scandinavian," but the results don't look too bad. Thanks for sharing them

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    U152: A9024/BY3644
    mtDNA
    H1c3b 'Helga'

England Wales
    Hi

Yes the latest updated result. V1 had me as 27% Scandinavian.

My known roots are mainly British/Irish but records before 1837 are Parish and unreliable!

I do have distant cousins on the Family Finder with no known UK ancestry so I am keeping an open mind

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Ibis View Post
    Is this the updated ancestrydna test? It looks like they're still overestimating "Scandinavian," but the results don't look too bad. Thanks for sharing them

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Solothurn For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (10-19-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Here are mine, in descending order:

Europe 93%

Europe West 44% ["Primarily located in: Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein; Also found in: England, Denmark, Italy, Slovenia, Czech Republic"]
    Great Britain 27% ["Primarily located in: England, Scotland, Wales; Also located in: Ireland, France, Germany]
    Iberian Peninsula 9% ["Primarily found in: Spain, Portugal"; May also be found in: France, Morocco, Algeria, Italy"]
    Ireland 7% ["Primarily found in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland; Also found in: France, England"]
    Italy/Greece 2% ["Primarily found in: Italy, Greece, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia
    Also found in: France, Switzerland, Portugal, Spain, Serbia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Austria, Croatia, Bosnia, Romania, Turkey, Slovenia, Algeria, Tunisia"
    Scandinavia 2% ["Primarily found in: Sweden, Norway, Denmark; Also found in: Great Britain, Scotland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium"]
    European Jewish <1% European Jewish ["Primarily found in: Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Israel; Also found in: Germany, France, Lithuania, Latvia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Romania, Bosnia, Serbia, Estonia"]
    Finnish/Northern Russia <1% ["Primarily found in: Finland, Russia; May also be found in: Estonia, Latvia, Sweden, Lithuania"]

Asia 3%

Asia Central 2% ["Primarily located in: Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan; Also located in: Iran, Pakistan"]
    Asia South 1% ["Primarily found in: India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka; Also located in: Myanmar"]

West Asia 3%

Caucasus 3% ["Primarily located in: Iran, Georgia, Armenia, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Azerbijan; Also found in: Turkmenistan, Kuwait, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece, Italy, Jordan, Palestine"]

America 1% ["Modern Day Location: United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America"]

For comparison purposes, here's my rough estimate on the basis of my paper trail: German 50%, British 25%, Spanish 12.5%. I would hesitate to attempt percentages for the groups in the remaining 12.5%, but they include French, Irish, Swiss, Belgian, Dutch, and Choctaw.

Here also is FTDNA's rather pitiful effort: 100.00% European, ±0.01%. The populations -- with no percentages -- are given as Finnish, Russian, Spanish, and Tuscan. You'll note that only one of these can even be found in my paper trail (which includes most of my ancestors for the past 300 years, and some even further removed). "Spanish", my 3rd-largest component, is included; but German (1st) and British (2nd) are not.

Instead, FTDNA includes "Finnish" and "Russian" (together given as <1% by Ancestry), and "Tuscan". "Italy/Greece" is included in Ancestry's estimate, but only at 2%. I have long thought that FTDNA's estimate may have been hampered by the fact that the algorithm first assigns a continent, and then possibly a second continent.

Having failed to assign that second continent (presumably because the threshold wasn't reached), the "best fit" for "European" required an overemphasis on "Finnish" and "Russian". But that's only speculative on my part.
    The short explanation of my ancestry is British-German-Catalan, but it actually includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw and probably Cherokee. My avatar picture is of my father, his father, and his father's father. The baby in the picture is my eldest brother.

GB

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

AJL (11-24-2013), Scarlet Ibis (10-19-2013), Sein (11-16-2013)

Administrator
    Sex

How long did it take y'all to get your results back?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Ibis View Post
    How long did it take y'all to get your results back?
    I'm afraid I don't remember, but it seemed to take months in total. I know that at one point I had to submit a new sample. That request came while I was in Malaysia, but fortunately that time I was only here for three months. By the time I ordered a new test kit, I was about to head back to the U.S. anyway. So I resubmitted before coming back to Malaysia again.

From the time of the resubmission in June 2012, it was probably still a few more weeks. I know I was again in Malaysia, so it wouldn't have been any earlier than August 2012. Possibly even later than that.

Their first ancestry estimate didn't seem anything to brag about, at least for me. I still thought it was better than FTDNA's. Ancestry estimated 48% Central European, 23% Scandinavian, 16% Eastern European, 7% Finnish/Volga-Ural, and 6% uncertain.

By paper trail, as I've said elsewhere, I should be pretty close to 50% German, 25% British, and 12.5% Spanish (Minorcan). That leaves 12.5% to be untangled from French, Belgian, Dutch, Swiss, Irish, and Choctaw.

The newer estimate is a little lower in Native American than some estimates I've seen, but I think it's at least in the ballpark. Doug McDonald had come up with about that in a "by hand" estimate, though he told me he thought it was probably nearer 2%. Ancestry Composition has 1.4% for the combined East Asian and Native American in the standard estimate, and 2.0% in speculative. But the main thing is, it did find it.

It also found most of my Spanish ancestry -- with "9% Iberian". It's also possible that the 2% "Italy/Greece" is also attributable to this ancestry, since my Spanish ancestors were from a Mediterranean island, not the mainland.

I'm somewhat intrigued, though, by some other "trace regions". Specifically, the 3% Caucasus, 2% Asia Central, and 1% Asia South. But I'm sure quite a few folks with mostly European ancestry are coming up with these.

Interestingly, this time "Scandinavia" is a mere 2%; and "Finnish/Northern Russia" is less than 1%.
    The short explanation of my ancestry is British-German-Catalan, but it actually includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw and probably Cherokee. My avatar picture is of my father, his father, and his father's father. The baby in the picture is my eldest brother.

GB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (11-24-2013)

Administrator
    Sex

I got a kit back when it was on sale, and I got the results back early yesterday morning. On a Saturday! I was pleased with that.

Asia 52%
    Asia East: 49%
    Asia Central: 3%

Europe 48%
    Scandinavia: 22%
    Iberian Peninsula: 11%
    Ireland: 9%
    Great Britain: 3%
    Europe East: 2%
    Europe West: 1%

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scarlet Ibis For This Useful Post:

AJL (11-24-2013), Asimakidis (12-07-2016), Solothurn (12-18-2013)

Administrator
    Sex

Right now, my main beef with the results is the description/history they have for the "Population History" of Asia East.

According to Ancestry.com: "After several years of revolt, the Han Dynasty, from the northern part of China and Korea, began in 206 B.C. and ruled for 424 years. Today, the majority of Chinese and Koreans are considered ethnic Han, making them the largest ethnic group in the world."

^ I honestly don't know where they're getting this information from, because it's incorrect. Koreans are not ethnic Hans, nor have they ever been. They were an entirely separate ethno, and lingual group before the Han Dynasty even existed.

I've never been keen on ethnic nationalism, and separation, but sometimes, claiming an overlap is flat-out wrong. Koreans are no more ethnic Hans than Poles are ethnic Germans.

I'm going to email Ancestry.com about this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlet Ibis For This Useful Post:

evon (12-29-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    U152: A9024/BY3644
    mtDNA
    H1c3b 'Helga'

England Wales
    I know this is an Ancestry ethnicity thread and if I posted on U152 I would probably be told get over to an ethnicity thread

I couldn't find a way to parse the two topics! So please go easy on me, they go hand in hand in the long run IMHO. Especially as I assume (rightly/wrongly?) the majority of Romans, Vikings and other groups came as single men that 'coupled' with native females.

I hope the BigY gives us 'big' clues for Scandinavia, as 28% for me is high. I remember a discussion on the old forums U152 was said to be low in Scandinavia! BUT many had not SNP tested at that time.

I took a look at Sweden's current SNP results
    http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...ion=ycolorized

Of the 35 R1b1a2 that have SNP results 7 are U152. 26 still need to test for SNPs

Other Scando-R1b1a2 that still need SNP testing
    43 Norway http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...ction=yresults
    28 Denmark http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...ction=yresults

I ran Gedmatch Eurogenes K36 for my mum and myself (no dad to test!)

Mum

North_Sea 21.25%
    North_Atlantic 13.33%
    Fennoscandian 13.72%
    Iberian 12.90%
    Italian 10.42%
    East_Central_Euro 6.67%
    Central_Euro 6.50%
    East_Balkan 4.21%
    French 4.21%
    Eastern_Euro 3.08%
    Basque 1.43%

Me

North_Sea 19.47%
    North_Atlantic 16.32%
    Iberian 12.61%
    Fennoscandian 11.36%
    Italian 11.18%
    East_Central_Euro 8.92%
    Central_Euro 6.77%
    Eastern_Euro 3.50%
    French 4.67%
    West_Med 1.39%
    South_Central_Asian 1.34%
    East_Balkan 1.34%
    Basque 1.14%

My Y is mainly Durham/Northumberland in NE England, UK. 3/8 of my paternal gt grandparents are from this area. The other 5/8 are from Lancashire/Cheshire/N.Wales.

Obviously we have many Y and MTDNA lines in our makeup and looking at my matches' ancestors we are very similar.

Just some thoughts

Edit

added this link as legend says my Y was Lindisfarne lol
    http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/V...rthumbria.html
    Last edited by Solothurn; 11-25-2013 at 11:30 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Solothurn For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (12-03-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    J-CTS1460
    mtDNA
    U1a1c4

I ordered the AncestryDNA test a few days, I think I'll be one, if not the only Assyrian who's ever taken this test.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZephyrousMandaru For This Useful Post:

Asimakidis (12-07-2016), dnoone (05-04-2016), Humanist (12-18-2013)

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast