Ethnicity
    Celt/German/Iberian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    U5b2a2b1

Germany Imperial United Kingdom Norway Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by GailT View Post
    1058 HGDP sequences appeared on GenBank yesterday and Ian is processing them now...
    Have you gotten the results yet? If so can you please post them? If you don't already do this, I've found it helpful to predict the haplogroups of samples in academic studies online by looking at their mutations(and keeping track of extras). In a Basque study the vast majority of U5's were U5b1f1a. BTW, through 23andme I found what U5b2a2 clade I belong, It's listed in my signature. Every little feather helps.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austria United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Since my old laptop crashed, I lost a lot of my bookmarks, including Ian Logan. Anyway, I'm wondering about my rare U5b2b2. Although it is probably Norse or other northern European, it came into being during the LGM down in southern France, etc. Browsing around in Ancestry and all of the different trees there, I keep bumping in to Huguenot or possible Huguenot (how to differentiate between Norman and Huguenot?). What I'm getting at is there is also the possibility that my haplotype never migrated northward after the LGM, but came over to the colonies from France (or from France via England).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA
    U5a2a1

Quote Originally Posted by Krefter View Post
    Have you gotten the results yet? If so can you please post them? If you don't already do this, I've found it helpful to predict the haplogroups of samples in academic studies online by looking at their mutations(and keeping track of extras). In a Basque study the vast majority of U5's were U5b1f1a. BTW, through 23andme I found what U5b2a2 clade I belong, It's listed in my signature. Every little feather helps.
    It turns out that these were almost all duplicates of the HGDP samples previously published by Zheng et al., some of which had been previously published by Hartmann et al., so now we have some cases where the same individual has 3 different GenBank accession numbers. Not very helpful.

I also look at HVR samples from any studies that seem interesting - I'm the person who identified the U5b1f1a cluster in the Basque samples in the Behar et al study. I shared this info with Doron, and at one time he seemed interested in doing full sequences for these U5 samples, but dropped it for lack of funding.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA
    U5a2a1

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    I'm wondering about my rare U5b2b2. Although it is probably Norse or other northern European, it came into being during the LGM down in southern France, etc.
    There are now 4 other people in your U5b2b2* Group B proposed new subclade, but none of them have listed a country of origin. Two seem to have colonial southern US ancestry and that might suggest an origin in the UK. Hopefully some of these folks will share more info on their ancestry, and you'll get more close matches.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (11-11-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA
    U5a2a1

Peng et al. published 382 mtDNA FMS samples in GenBank, as part of the as yet unpublished paper "Mitochondrial Genomes Uncover the Maternal History of the Pamir Populations". There are 14 U5 samples including 12 from subclades that might be associated with a Steppe/Indo-European or eastern European hunter-gatherer origin (U5a1a1, U5a1b, U5a1d2b, U5a1g, U5a2a1, U5a2b) and two U5b samples.

One of the U5b samples is unclassified U5b2 and is a close match to another unclassified U5b2 sample from India that was was published in GenBank in 2011. They share six mutations (T152C, C264T, T4080C, G9139A, T14199C, A14409G) but they also differ by six steps so are not closely related. This branch of U5b2 has not been found in Europe, and I've guessed that it is a branch of U5b2 that migrated east during or after the LGM. The new Pamiri sample seem consistent with an ancient migration east. We cannot reliably estimate the age of this branch with only two samples, but a difference of 6 steps indicates a very distant maternal ancestor for this branch of U5b2.

The U5b2a1 sample is closely related to U5b2a1b (shares the 2 coding region mutations but not the HVR mutations at 152 and 16325). U5b2a1b has an age estimate of about 3000 years and seems to be Germanic, but the Pamiri sample seems to diverge at an earlier date. There is also a pre-U5b2a1b Ancient sample in the Unetice culture, from Haak et al. dated at about 3600 ybp.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

Jean M (11-14-2017), parasar (11-13-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123