British
    Y-DNA
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    [QUOTE=Phoebe Watts;321835]/
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post

That looks well worth looking into. Have you found the references to Heywood Howells of Post Office-row, Newtown, and Bethearear-terrace, both Ebbw Vale, sculptor (in 1895)?
    The Ebbw Vale one sounds like my grandfather, Bethcar Street or Bethcar Terrace Ebbw Vale? What do you have please? I know my father John Oswald (Jack) Howells was born in Ebbw Vale in 1895.
    On the 1891 Census Heywood was living at Rhydllani Farm outside Abergavenny. In the 1901 Census he is living at Twyncynhordy near Brynmawr which is only a couple of miles from Ebbw Vale and where I was born.
    Last edited by JohnHowellsTyrfro; 12-08-2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: afterthought

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA
    J1c9

Wales England
    [QUOTE=JohnHowellsTyrfro;321967]
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Watts View Post
    /

The Ebbw Vale one sounds like my grandfather, Bethcar Street or Bethcar Terrace Ebbw Vale? What do you have please? I know my father John Oswald (Jack) Howells was born in Ebbw Vale in 1895.
    On the 1891 Census Heywood was living at Rhydllani Farm outside Abergavenny. In the 1901 Census he is living at Twyncynhordy near Brynmawr which is only a couple of miles from Ebbw Vale and where I was born.
    Yes, sorry, Bethcar-terrace.

I always go to Welsh Newspapers Online for my research in Wales or on Welsh emigrants, especially for an uncommon name or address. I thought it might be worth a try for yor grandfather and it does have a few results for Heywood Howells http://newspapers.library.wales/sear...ood+howells%22 It might be worth trying for some of the other names and addresses too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (12-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    [QUOTE=Phoebe Watts;321998]
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post

Yes, sorry, Bethcar-terrace.

I always go to Welsh Newspapers Online for my research in Wales or on Welsh emigrants, especially for an uncommon name or address. I thought it might be worth a try for yor grandfather and it does have a few results for Heywood Howells http://newspapers.library.wales/sear...ood+howells%22 It might be worth trying for some of the other names and addresses too.
    So it looked like Heywood was bankrupt the year my father was born and one article refers to illness? Hard times. He lived until the 1940's I think. It does answer one question and that is that he had his own business. Later on he must have done reasonably well because I think he built the bungalow I was born in.
    I will try and search further thank you for that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Phoebe Watts (12-08-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12