Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    USA

United States of America

Learning from this guy?

Hey guys,

This guys video about a different topic was posted on these forums elsewhere. I wanted to reach out to the forums and get your thoughts on this specific video topic.

Is this someone who I can learn off of? Is what he's saying true?

He starts getting into the Indo-Europeans about half way through the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AabWNnVbXUU

Thanks,
    TJ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJRocks760 For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (11-14-2017), parasar (11-13-2017)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    If a Youtuber is adhering to the subject material without extraneous political or ethno-linguistic commentary, and they're using current sources, then they are certainly making a very welcome contribution.

However, practically everything he has covered in that video is common knowledge among those who regularly view or post in the relevant discussion venues (such as here, or in Eurogenes). Additionally, aspects of the discussion are taken to more depth in those venues. As such, the material presented will only be worth viewing for novices or the uninformed.

I don't know what his background is, but some of the comments at the end (e.g. "So in a sense haplogroups are very Indo-European... Because they, show us our, ancient male lineage") are a bit strange (how the very concept of a uniparental marker is inexplicably linked to a language family is not clear). He's also wrong about the <20% Indo-Aryan estimate for UP Brahmins, based on the current data we have. Davidski has qpAdm outputs showing just over 40% EMBA steppe for them.

That isn't to say he hasn't done a commendable job presenting the general picture to the lay audience on Youtube. I would think that the average genetic genealogy regular would obtain a far more concise view of such topics in forums such as this, or from the actual research publications themselves, especially.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-13-2017), Awale (11-13-2017), khanabadoshi (11-14-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (11-14-2017), parasar (11-13-2017), TJRocks760 (11-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    USA

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    If a Youtuber is adhering to the subject material without extraneous political or ethno-linguistic commentary, and they're using current sources, then they are certainly making a very welcome contribution.

However, practically everything he has covered in that video is common knowledge among those who regularly view or post in the relevant discussion venues (such as here, or in Eurogenes). Additionally, aspects of the discussion are taken to more depth in those venues. As such, the material presented will only be worth viewing for novices or the uninformed.

I don't know what his background is, but some of the comments at the end (e.g. "So in a sense haplogroups are very Indo-European... Because they, show us our, ancient male lineage") are a bit strange (how the very concept of a uniparental marker is inexplicably linked to a language family is not clear). He's also wrong about the <20% Indo-Aryan estimate for UP Brahmins, based on the current data we have. Davidski has qpAdm outputs showing just over 40% EMBA steppe for them.

That isn't to say he hasn't done a commendable job presenting the general picture to the lay audience on Youtube. I would think that the average genetic genealogy regular would obtain a far more concise view of such topics in forums such as this, or from the actual research publications themselves, especially.
    Thank you sir. I appreciate you taking the time to thoroughly answer my question.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TJRocks760 For This Useful Post:

DMXX (11-14-2017)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    You're very welcome. I've watched a couple of his other genetics-related videos. Rather consistent (and mostly factual) content. StJ's cited Eurogenes and even this forum in the comments a few times, alongside the actual studies themselves. It is quite refreshing to see a Youtuber both naturally tend toward the more objective venues or sources online and accurately convey the content with an appropriate pitch for their audience.

The comments section looks like a transplanted "raceboard", but that's clearly not StJ's doing (this is precisely the demographic that requires familiarisation with the current data). Standard Youtube fare.

If StJ ever happens upon this thread in the future - Well done mate!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    USA

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    You're very welcome. I've watched a couple of his other genetics-related videos. Rather consistent (and mostly factual) content. StJ's cited Eurogenes and even this forum in the comments a few times, alongside the actual studies themselves. It is quite refreshing to see a Youtuber both naturally tend toward the more objective venues or sources online and accurately convey the content with an appropriate pitch for their audience.

The comments section looks like a transplanted "raceboard", but that's clearly not StJ's doing (this is precisely the demographic that requires familiarisation with the current data). Standard Youtube fare.

If StJ ever happens upon this thread in the future - Well done mate!
    Cool. Yes, Survive the Jive awesome work.

Can I ask you something pertaining to another one of his videos.

He mentioned Natufian culture moving upward from the Levant.

Were EEF/ENF people a different culture, Natufian a different culture and WHG different people that all mixed together and then later came the IranN population in another wave? Or are Natufians EEF people?