Ethnicity
    Nepali brahmin
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b2a1a R1a-L657
    mtDNA
    M30

Nepal United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    Bhim narula is Chetri right? Because we narula among Khatris in Punjab.
    There is also 'Khatri' surname in Nepal. Chettri, Khatri etc are just different forms of Kshatriya. There might be some nuances, however. Also, Niraula is also bahun I think. Some surnames can be pan-Khas and some are Khas-Madhesi.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA
    R2A2 (R-P267)
    mtDNA
    M52A

The gangsta culture in Punjab came with Bohemia, and after him lots of Wannabe rappers started popping up, but no one can match "Punjabi rap da badshah".
    Bohemia grew up in the right amounts of his life to both be fluent in Punjabi, but came over young enough to be able to immerse into the urban space in California where hip hop lives to be able to start from writing Punjabi poetry to finally rapping it. The wannabes have no immersion experience of that nature because the American music you are exposed to abroad (through MTV or Channel V etc) is still basically "white" music. You know in 90s in India you had no idea of Tupac or Biggie, you only heard Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys lol. I don't know how it is now, but I doubt you get exposed to real black music in India today either.

I kinda see myself in Bohemia because I came around same age and grew up around blacks and Latinos, there were no whites or other Desis either in the part of US I came to.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redifflal For This Useful Post:

MonkeyDLuffy (12-05-2017), poi (12-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kerala Nair/Elamo-S Asian
    Nationality
    Straya!
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    M30

Bruh the new punjabi singers all look same with same hairstyles and beards. There was a song I forgot the name of, couple of guys who look like "Amrit mann", pouring beer into bowl of cereal lol.
    amrit mann lol that mooch is incredible

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    Straya!
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    M30

My fav nepali song is:

HAAHAHA loved this song, admit googling where it was from when i first came across it on fb

from an anthro perspective the guy looks Pahari
    Last edited by bmoney; 12-04-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    Straya!
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    M30

Quote Originally Posted by redifflal View Post
    It started from London in the form of dancehall-reggae influence through the 90s. Many of your 90s hits have Apache Indian in the back shouting in patois lol
    I still listen to Apache Indian

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bmoney For This Useful Post:

MonkeyDLuffy (12-05-2017), poi (12-05-2017), redifflal (12-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nepali brahmin
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b2a1a R1a-L657
    mtDNA
    M30

Quote Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    HAAHAHA loved this song, admit googling where it was from when i first came across it on fb

from an anthro perspective the guy looks Pahari
    He is a pukka pahari bahun or chettri lol

Here is a village nepali pahari song by a gandarva (traditionally singer caste with sarangi instrument)

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

bmoney (12-04-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (12-04-2017), redifflal (12-04-2017), surbakhunWeesste (12-04-2017), Zayd (12-07-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA
    R2A2 (R-P267)
    mtDNA
    M52A

I love the sarangi/ravanhatta instrument. It sounds so divine. Pity it got replaced by and large by a monotonous bhempu known as harmonium lol.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nepali brahmin
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b2a1a R1a-L657
    mtDNA
    M30

Quote Originally Posted by redifflal View Post
    I love the sarangi/ravanhatta instrument. It sounds so divine. Pity it got replaced by and large by a monotonous bhempu known as harmonium lol.
    These musical instruments add richness to music... but sarangi is definitely disappearing, which is sad. To me, sarangi music brings back a lot of memories.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

redifflal (12-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nepali Brahmin

Nepal
    Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    There is also 'Khatri' surname in Nepal. Chettri, Khatri etc are just different forms of Kshatriya. There might be some nuances, however. Also, Niraula is also bahun I think. Some surnames can be pan-Khas and some are Khas-Madhesi.
    Most of us have surnames based on our ancestral village. Surnames like Mishra, Adhikari, Upadhyay, Sharma, Dixit, etc. are shared by other brahmins too. These people changed their surnames based on the titles & ranks they had. Some Chhetris like Kunwar also changed their surname to Rana.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pnb123 For This Useful Post:

bmoney (12-07-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (12-08-2017), poi (12-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    Why are we getting into politics here
    Yes -- please do not discuss politics or religion (both of which have been brought up in this thread) outside the Atrium. See our Terms of Service:

3.20 Political and religious discussion is only permitted in The Atrium, a forum section voluntarily selected for by subscription class members with at least 500 posts. Such discussions are strictly prohibited everywhere else in Anthrogenica. Members are advised to limit the scope of organic tangents arising from discussions. Failure by participants to limit said tangents will be construed by the administration as a breach to section 3.10 and/or 3.12 above.
    Future violations may result in strict disciplinary measures.
    Forum Reminders - Please remember to:
    Report any problematic content Adhere to Anthrogenica Hidden Content Discuss respectfully Be mindful of sharing user data (both yours and others) English language only in main forum area PM 'Moderator' or 'Administrator' accounts for basic maintenance tasks (not personal accounts) PM this account regarding member ban info or forum inquiries

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Administrator For This Useful Post:

bmoney (12-09-2017), parasar (12-08-2017)

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940