Thread: Ashkenazi X-matches: real or false?

Ashkenazi X-matches: real or false?

Hi everybody. I have posted this on the FTDNA forum before before, but I was wondering if some of the "Jewish experts" here could weigh in for me. I just got my mother a FF test for her birthday, and the results came back earlier this week. Her known parentage is half Genoese (her mother I was from Genoa) with an Ashkenazi paternal grandfather and a paternal grandmother of unknown descent, presumed Anglo. Her my origins results are as follows:

European: 71%

Jewish Diaspora: 22%

Western Middel Eastern: 7%

She has 5000 matches on FF and 1100 X-matches. Most of these X-matches appear to be Ashkenazi Jews. Moreover, her sister was also tested, and of the in-common Ashkenazi X-matches they have, about 3/4 are X-matches for BOTH of them (the remaining 1/4 I presume must certainly be false...?)

Is this incontrovertible evidence that her "unknown" paternal grandmother was of at least partial Jewish descent, or are these all probably false positives? The my origins results point clearly to about 1/4 Jewish ancestry, and in MyHeritage she is only 18% Ashkenazi, but if her paternal grandmother had significant Jewish ancestry than she would surely be more than a quarter.

I know that due to how the base pairs are interpreted, the X on women is more prone to false matches, but this many, and with such an overwhelming majority of one specific ethnicity?

For comparison's sake, I would also be interested to know if there are any other women of Ashkenazi descent with that ancestor being a non-X contributing ancestor. Do you also have lots of Ashkenazi X-matches?

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    This thread may be of help.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

Thanks AJL I will have a look. Is it conceivably possible that somebody could show up as 1/4 of an intercontinental ethnicity (like Jewish) on most ethnicity algorithms and really be 3/8, or does this defy credulity?