Nationality
    Straya!
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    M30

New study - Y-DNA analysis of Jats Hindu/Sikh/Muslim hot off the press

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...e-08-00121.pdf

It also became evident that the Jats did not have a unique set of genes, but shared an underlying genetic unity with several other ethnic communities in the Indian subcontinent.

Most interesting for me is that Jats carry the IVC/Zagros Farmer associated haplogroup L at 37% vs 7-15% frequency seen in the rest of India and carry haplogroup R at 29% vs Hindu Brahmins who carry this at much higher %ages 41% R1a1 vs 8% Haplogroup L. R1a1 peaks in Eastern Indian Brahmin lines UP Brahmin 68%, West Bengal Brahmin at 72% and Bihari Brahmins at 61%. http://web.vu.lt/rstc/a.pazeraite/fi...a1-20082a1.pdf

I believe this is because Jats have strong CHG/Zagros Farmer IVC lineage as they moved from Sindh/Baluchistan to Punjab more recently. They are one of the few communities not dominated paternally by the R1a bringing Brahmins and were Vedicized and placed into the Hindu caste system relatively more recently: Grewal, J. S. (1998), The Sikhs of the Punjab, Cambridge University Press, p. 5, ISBN 978-0-521-63764-0, retrieved 12 November 2011 Quote: "... the most numerous of the agricultural tribes (in the Punjab) were the Jats. They had come from Sindh and Rajasthan along the river valleys, moving up, displacing the Gujjars and the Rajputs to occupy culturable lands. (page 5)"

Haplogroup L (36.8%)
    This is the largest haplogroup in the Jat sample population. It is present in the Indian population at an overall frequency of about 7–15% (Basu et al., 2003; Cordaux et al., 2004). Genetic studies suggest that this may be one of the original haplogroups of the creators of Indus Valley Civilization (McElreavey and Quintana-Murci, 2005; Sengupta et al., 2006). It has a frequency of about 28% in western Pakistan and Baluchistan, from where the agricultural creators of this civilization emerged (Qamar et al., 2002). The origins of this haplogroup can be traced to the rugged and mountainous Pamir Knot region in Tajikistan (Wells, 2007).

Haplogroup R (28.5%)
    This haplogroup originated in north Asia about 27,000 years ago (ISOGG, 2017). It is one of the most common haplogroups in Europe, with its branches reaching 80% of the population in some regions. One branch is believed to have originated in the Kurgan culture, known to be the first speakers of the Indo-European languages and responsible for the domestication of the horse (Smolenyak and Turner, 2004). From somewhere in central Asia, some descendants of the man carrying the M207 mutation on the Y chromosome headed south to arrive in India about 10,000 years ago (Wells, 2007). This is one of the largest haplogroups in India and Pakistan. Of its key subclades, R2 is observed especially in India and central Asia.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by bmoney; 10-12-2017 at 02:35 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bmoney For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-12-2017), jortita (10-12-2017), khanabadoshi (10-12-2017), kush (10-13-2017), mattassis (10-16-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (10-13-2017), parasar (10-13-2017), RCO (10-12-2017), wgjkkwjkf (10-13-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    For personal reasons, I wish that they had tested below the haplogroup level. I really would have liked to see which sub clades of L were found - I'm guessing downstream of L1a. But it's still a great report, and thank you for sharing.
    yDNA: L1b2c L-SK1414 (Oxon/Berks at Generation 9)
    mtDNA: H6a1a8 (Norfolk at Generation 9)
    Hidden Content .

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A Norfolk L-M20 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-12-2017), bmoney (10-12-2017), wgjkkwjkf (10-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kerala Nair/Elamo-S Asian
    Nationality
    Straya!
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    M30

Quote Originally Posted by A Norfolk L-M20 View Post
    For personal reasons, I wish that they had tested below the haplogroup level. I really would have liked to see which sub clades of L were found - I'm guessing downstream of L1a. But it's still a great report, and thank you for sharing.
    Thanks!, yes that would have been great, also knowing what the r1a and r2 split is, as R2 is much older than R1a in India and pre-Indo-European.

The Jatt L would most probably be L1a and L1c: L1a and L1c-M357 are found at 24% among Balochis, L1a and L1c are found at 8% among the Dravidian-speaking Brahui, L1c is found at 25% among Kalash, L1c is found at 15% among Burusho.

I'm guessing your L is a more ancient split, probably from the L Urheimat (Caucasus/Iran)

Further to my link to the IVC: The greatest concentration of Haplogroup L-M20 is along the Indus River in Pakistan where the Indus Valley Civilization flourished during 3300–1300 BC with its mature period between 2600–1900 BCE. L-M357's highest frequency and diversity is found in the Balochistan province at 28%[10] with a moderate distribution among the general Pakistani population at 11.6% (Firasat 2007)). It is also found in Afghanistan ethnic counterparts as well, such as with the Pashtuns and Balochis. L-M357 is found frequently among Burusho (approx. 12% (Firasat 2007)) and Pashtuns (approx. 7% (Firasat 2007)).
    Last edited by bmoney; 10-12-2017 at 02:20 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bmoney For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-12-2017), jortita (10-12-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (10-13-2017), wgjkkwjkf (10-13-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    Thanks!, yes that would have been great, also knowing what the r1a and r2 split is, as R2 is much older than R1a in India and pre-Indo-European.

The Jatt L would most probably be L1a and L1c: L1a and L1c-M357 are found at 24% among Balochis, L1a and L1c are found at 8% among the Dravidian-speaking Brahui, L1c is found at 25% among Kalash, L1c is found at 15% among Burusho.

I'm guessing your L is a more ancient split, probably from the L Urheimat (Caucasus/Iran)

Further to my link to the IVC: The greatest concentration of Haplogroup L-M20 is along the Indus River in Pakistan where the Indus Valley Civilization flourished during 3300–1300 BC with its mature period between 2600–1900 BCE. L-M357's highest frequency and diversity is found in the Balochistan province at 28%[10] with a moderate distribution among the general Pakistani population at 11.6% (Firasat 2007)). It is also found in Afghanistan ethnic counterparts as well, such as with the Pashtuns and Balochis. L-M357 is found frequently among Burusho (approx. 12% (Firasat 2007)) and Pashtuns (approx. 7% (Firasat 2007)).
    We are talking slightly different nomenclature when you mention L1c but I understand. Under the older nomenclature, my L1b would have been L2. Yes, my SNP SK1414 (L1b2c) was first recorded in a Balochi speaker in Makran, Pakistan. It's also been found in Druze.
    yDNA: L1b2c L-SK1414 (Oxon/Berks at Generation 9)
    mtDNA: H6a1a8 (Norfolk at Generation 9)
    Hidden Content .

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A Norfolk L-M20 For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (10-12-2017), parasar (10-25-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir Afghanistan Iran India United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by A Norfolk L-M20 View Post
    We are talking slightly different nomenclature when you mention L1c but I understand. Under the older nomenclature, my L1b would have been L2. Yes, my SNP SK1414 (L1b2c) was first recorded in a Balochi speaker in Makran, Pakistan. It's also been found in Druze.
    Interestingly, I am of supposed Baloch-descent paternally in a subclade shared with a Druze.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-12-2017), bmoney (10-13-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (10-13-2017)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    Interestingly, I am of supposed Baloch-descent paternally in a subclade shared with a Druze.
    Ha! Long lost connections.
    Maybe there is something to the Druze = Druhyu after all!!

Yadu, Turvasu, Druhyu, Anu and Puru - 5 Vedic tribes.
    The Anu are supposed to be Aryans.
    The Puru the main/core Indic lines of Indo-Gangetic plains.
    The Yadu of Gujarat, Jaisalmer, Mathura, etc.
    The Turvasu are boundary folk such as the Shak - Tura traditional enemies of the Arya.
    The Druhyu? They are also often mentioned with the Anu, but kind of disappear from the accounts.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-13-2017), khanabadoshi (10-13-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (10-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Nishan Sahib
    There are good amount of R1a1a jatts, especially in Haryana, I get them as my matches on both gedmatch and 23 and me. I wonder where it came from.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kerala Nair/Elamo-S Asian
    Nationality
    Straya!
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    M30

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    There are good amount of R1a1a jatts, especially in Haryana, I get them as my matches on both gedmatch and 23 and me. I wonder where it came from.
    With the Indo-Europeans, who brought the Indo-Aryan languages to North/West/East India. Punjabi is a IA language.

R1a1a also was successful in Dravidian south India but wasn't able to achieve language shift there like it did in the rest of South Asia, though got a good amount of their loan words in via Brahminic Sanskrit.

It was just interesting to me that the Jats, who are considered the representative population of Indo-Aryans, are actually more paternally related to the IVC then any other caste in south Asia except the original Baloch/Brahui and the closely related Sindhis. The most Indo-European y-dna castes found so far are West Bengal Brahmins, Sindhi Mohanna and Terai Hindus from Nepal

And were just talking y-dna here, autosomal is a different story. Most Punjabis will cluster together autosomally despite their y-dna lineages

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Chauhan
    Y-DNA
    R-L266
    mtDNA
    U7

Pakistan United States of America Azad Kashmir Jammu and Kashmir
    Jatt R2a here.
    Kashmir

Registered Users