Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What did your 4 x great grandfathers (Generation 7) do for a living?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

This is much harder than the 3x for me, as it hits where my brick walls start to appear or where I need to expand my research on several lines.

Paternal:

1. farmer of 200 acres (1851 census, ag lab in 1841), b. Diddlebury, Shropshire, 1795
    2. grocer, b. Bocking, Essex, 1795
    3. farmer/landowner, b. Llangafan, Wales, 1785 (younger son later went to the US)
    4. farmer, b. 1806 Angelsey, Wales, later lived in Wisconsin
    5. brick wall
    6. based on location and what he left in his will likely was a farmer, but not sure, b. near Paris, France, 1779, lived in Gallia Co., Ohio
    7. probable farmer, but still need to confirm (Pennsylvania and then Franklin Co, OH), b. abt 1790
    8. don't know yet
    9. farmer and potter (b. 1779 Randolph NC, part of Quaker migration to Indiana)
    10-12. all farmers (b. abt 1760, 1766, and 1773 Randolph, NC, part of same migration)
    13. don't know occupation (have some probate records have not followed up on yet), b. 1772 Baltimore, acquired land in Carroll Co, MD
    14. Mennonite and likely farmer in Chester, PA, but I haven't done much work on him, and don't know (b. abt 1776)
    15. farmer (b. 1777 Newberry, SC, and moved as part of Quaker migration to Miami Co., OH with family)
    16. don't know, but part of same Quaker community as 15 in early adulthood, died young

Maternal

17. farmer b. abt 1790 (in PA or VA or MD), lived most of life in Jefferson/Carroll Co (same place), Ohio
    18. brick wall
    19. plasterer b. 1815 Kentucky
    20. I know the name (and his wife's name), but nothing else
    21-24. all in Sweden, haven't even tried yet
    25. farmer in Wisconsin when he died, b. in Connecticut or New York, 1791
    26. farmer first in Oneida, NY and then in Annawan, IL, b. 1803 in Rhode Island
    27. don't know, in Ireland, haven't really tried yet
    28. brick wall
    29. farmer and possibly other things, b. 1785 in North Carolina, ended up a land owner in Illinois
    30. farmer (eventually, anyway), birth date is confusing, but probably around 1780, b. Virginia and ended up land owner in Illinois
    31. not sure, currently a brick wall
    32. probably in Ireland, but all I know about his son is the name, so nothing about him

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-11-2017), Calamus (10-11-2017), Dewsloth (10-11-2017), gotten (10-11-2017), kostoffj (10-11-2017), MikeWhalen (10-11-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA
    P312>DF19>DF88>S4268
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1e

United States of America Lebanon Germany England Scotland
    Paternal:

1. Antonius Wilhelm b. 1756 Niedergladbach, Hesse, Germany. Pächter von Hof Mappen [Tenant of Court Papers?]
    2. Holz. Germany
    3. Ganter. Germany
    4. Fischer. Germany
    5. Aaron Baruch Dessauer (later baptised Alois Joseph Dessauer) b. 1763 Gochsheim, Kraichtal, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Court Jew/Banker/militäradmotiator to Baron Karl Theodor von Dalberg, Archbishop of Mainz. After converting, paper trader, a steel plate and fine cloth manufacturer, and in 1810 founded the Aschaffenburg colored paper factory.
    6. Dr. Cosmas Damian Hatardus Molitor b. 1785 Mainz, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. "Kreis- und Stadtgerichtsrats" [County and city court councilman?]
    7. Vossen. Belgium?
    8. Vinckenbosch. Belgium?
    9. Johann Adam Fertig. b. Steinmark, Bavaria, Germany. Moved to New Hanover, Pennsylvania. Colonist/Immigrant
    10. Christian Schwartz b. 1745 Germany. Immigrant?
    11. David Madison Cook b. 1756 York County, Pennsylvania, USA. Soldier (Ensign)/land surveyor, veteran of Revolution and Estill's Defeat 1782.
    12. Tranham. Kentucky?
    13. Abner Mead b. 1756 Nine Partners, New York. Farmer in Vermont? I think he served in militia the Revolution (his father was a Colonel in the Third Vermont Colonial Regiment).
    14. Philip Davis b. 1762 Mansfield City, Tolland, Connecticut. Moved to Vermont. Occupation unknown.
    15. Hezekiah Harrington b. 1771 Simsbury, Hartford, Connecticut. Moved to Vermont. Farmer
    16. Thomas Dixon/Dickson b. 1752 Lebanon, Connecticut. Moved to Vermont. Served in the Revolution, although one source says as Captain and one pension as Private - one might be a different guy.

17-32. Unknown, most likely all but four are from what is now Lebanon, the other 4 may be Armenian.
    Last edited by Dewsloth; 10-12-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Added surnames for those I have better data for 4th Great Grandfathers' children
    R1b (aka M343) > M269 > L23 > L51 > L11 > P312 > DF19 > DF88 > FGC11833 > S4281 > S4268 > Z17112 (S17075-, L644-)

Archaeological cousin: 6DRIF-23 of Driffield Terrace Roman Cemetery, York (Z17112+, S17075+, L644-)

Known ancestors: Francis Cooke (I-M223/I2a2a) b. 1583; John Wing (U106) b. 1584; Richard Warren (M269Hidden Content ) b.c. 1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b. 1583; John Mead b.c. 1634 (I2a1/P37.2)

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-11-2017), Calamus (10-11-2017), gotten (10-11-2017), kostoffj (10-11-2017), MikeWhalen (10-11-2017), msmarjoribanks (10-11-2017), Pylsteen (10-11-2017), spruithean (10-11-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    german/irish/english
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP263
    mtDNA
    H42a

United States of America Germany Ireland Switzerland Bohemia England
    Wow Dewsloth that's some distinguished paternal lineage there.

PS - I laugh every time I see your avatar, very clever!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kostoffj For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (10-11-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1a1b1
    mtDNA
    H1c3

England Ireland Wales Scotland England North of England European Union
    A large number of mine are unknown, especially on my mother's side, but here are the known ancestors -

Paternal

John Smith - born c1821 near Goosnargh, Lancashire and died in 1882 in Preston, Lancashire. He was a plasterer, as was his father. I don't know what his mother did.
    Ellen Cooper - born c1819 in Chipping, Lancashire and died in 1893 in Preston. She seems to have been a housewife. I don't know what her father did, and her mother seems to have been a housewife.

Henry Melling - born 1814 in Preston and died in 1883 in Preston. He was a fruit seller. I don't know what his parents did.
    Margaret Edmondson - born c1814 in Poulton-le-Sands, Lancashire and died in 1885 in Preston. She seems to have been a housewife. Her father was an agricultural labourer before being a proprietor of houses, and her mother was a housewife.

David Bracewell - born 1792 in Colne, Lancashire, died unknown. He was a cotton weaver. I don't know what his parents did.
    Mary Wilkinson - born 1800 in Colne, died unknown. She was a cotton weaver. I don't know what her parents did.

James Rogerson - born c1810 in Ribchester, Lancashire, died unknown. He was a blacksmith, as was his father. I assume his mother was a housewife.
    Ann Slater - born c1805 in Ribchester, died unknown. She doesn't seem to have had a job, so was probably a housewife. I don't know what her parents did.

John Harling - born 1814 in Giggleswick, Yorkshire, died 1862 in Preston. He was usually a joiner, but sometimes also a builder or fireman. I'm not sure what his parents did.
    Isabella Medcalf - born 1812 in Dent, Yorkshire, died unknown. She was probably a housewife. Her father was a labourer, then a pauper as well as a cotton weaver and labourer. Her mother was probably a housewife.

Richard Gregory - born 1804 in Ormskirk, Lancashire, died 1853 in Preston. He was a tailor. I don't know what his parents did.
    Isabella Cookson - born 1805 in Tarleton, Lancashire, died unknown. She doesn't seem to have had a job apart from housewife, and in one census was in jail for theft (she stole some flour and spent 1851 in Lancaster prison).

Robert Wilson - born 1820 in Kendal, Westmorland, died 1858 in Preston. He was a cotton spinner. I don't know what his parents did.
    Mary Smith - born c1821 in Preston, died unknown. I don't know what she or her parents did, I assume she was a housewife.

Thomas Wren - born c1811 in Kendal, died unknown. He had various jobs within a cotton mill. I don't know what his parents did.
    Ann Spearman - born 1811 in Rufford, Lancashire, died 1860 in Preston. She worked in a cotton mill. Her father was a wheelwright and I assume her mother was a housewife.

William Maynard - born c1805 in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, died unknown. I don't know what he did for a living, although his father was a plate layer and I assume his mother was a housewife.
    Mary Ann Hulks - born 1812 in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, died unknown. She might have had other jobs, but at one point was a straw hat plaiter. Her father was an agricultural labourer and I assume her mother was a housewife.

James Ray - born c1808 in St Albans, Hertfordshire, died 1852 in St Albans. He was an agricultural labourer. I don't know who his parents were.
    Sarah Brown - born c1802 in Sandridge, Hertfordshire, died 1867 in St Albans. I don't know what she did for a living· Her father seems to have been an agricultural labourer, I don't know what her mother did.

James Tootle - born c1837 in Clayton Green, Lancashire, died 1912 in Preston. He was a cotton spinner, as was his father. I don't know what his mother did.
    Mary Waring - born 1838 in Preston, died 1893 in Preston. She was a cotton weaver. I'm not 100% sure of her parents, but her likely parents were steam loom weavers.

James Nicholson - born c1835 in Carlisle, Cumberland, died unknown. He was a soldier and later a labourer. His father was a gardener and I don't know what his mother did.
    Nancy Russell - born c1827 in Moons Mill (now Higher Walton), Lancashire, died unknown. She had various jobs in a cotton mill. Her father was a cotton picker (a mill worker) and her mother a cotton carder.

Joseph Clegg - born 1828 in Manchester, Lancashire, died 1875 in Preston, He was a landscape artist and later a marriage registrar. His father was a shoe maker and I assume his mother was a housewife.
    Elizabeth Connolly - born 1833 in Manchester, died unknown. She seems to have been a housewife. Her father was a bricklayer and I assume her mother was a housewife.

George Caton - born 1839 in Kirkham, Lancashire, died 1914 in Preston. He was a tailor. I know little about his parents.
    Bridget Ellen Murray - born 1838 in County Meath, Ireland, died 1922 in Preston. She seems to have been a housewife. Her father was a labourer and I assume her mother was a housewife.

Thomas Willis - born 1850 in Preston, died unknown. He was a cotton spinner. His father was a baker and his mother was a housewife.
    Mary Ann Whittle - born 1847 in Preston, died unknown. She seems to have been a housewife. Her father seems to have had various jobs, mainly in warehouses and mills, her mother was probably a housewife.

James Brown - born 1821 in Longridge, Lancashire, died in 1881 in Preston. He was a cotton weaver. His father was a labourer and I assume his mother was a housewife.
    Susan Shaw - born 1825 in Winwick, Lancashire, died 1870 in Preston. She was a housewife, but at one point a dress maker. I know very little about her parents.

Maternal

Robert McKenna - born c1809 in Armagh, County Armagh, Ireland, died in 1857 in Liverpool, Lancashire. He was an horse ostler. I don't know what his parents did.
    Catherine Gilligan - born c1809 probably in County Louth, Ireland, died unknown. She was a housewife then a washerwoman. I don't know what her parents did.

John Scowcroft - born c1807 in Ballyshannon, County Donegal, Ireland, died in 1886 in Preston. He was a tinker, umbrella maker, chapel keeper and other things. His father was a soldier from Preston, his mother is unknown.
    Elizabeth Whalley - born 1798 in Preston, died in 1875 in Preston. She seems to have been a housewife. I don't know what her parents did.

George Clark - born c1813 in Ashfield-cum-Thorpe, Suffolk, died 1892 in Preston. He was an agricultural labourer, then a joiner and then a gardener. I don't know what his parents did.
    Eliza Warner - born 1815 in Monk Soham, Suffolk, died 1889 in Preston. She seems to have been a housewife. Her father was an agricultural labourer on parish relief, her mother seems to have been a housewife.

Richard Ricketts - born c1781 in Berkeley, Gloucestershire, died 1837 in Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucestershire. I'm not sure what he did. I don't know his parents.
    Sarah Lewis - born c1786 in Berkeley, died 1879 in Westbury. She seems to have been a housewife. I only know of her father, but I don't know what he did.

This person is unknown.
    Hannah Pearce - born 1802 in Slimbridge, Gloucester, died unknown. I don't know what she did. I know of her parents, but not of what they did.

Philip Dodd - born 1774 in Harthill, Cheshire, died 1856 in Bickerton, Cheshire. He was an agricultural labourer. I don't know what his parents did.
    Anne Stokes - born 1794 in Bickley, Cheshire. She was a housewife. Her father was an agricultural labourer and I assume her mother was a housewife.

Aaron Whitby - born c1806 in Cheshire. I don't know what he did. I don't know what his parents did.
    Mary Jones - born 1799 in Tattenhall, Cheshire, died 1869 in Great Boughton, Cheshire. She was a housewife. I don't know what her parents did.

George Moxham - born 1816 in Lytham, Lancashire, died 1881 in Preston. He was an agricultural labourer. His father was an agricultural labourer and I don't know what his mother did.
    Ellen Bamber - born 1812 in Eccleston, Lancashire, died 1864 in Preston. She seems to have been a housewife. I don't know what her parents did.

John Alston - born 1829 in Goosnargh, died unknown. He was an agricultural labourer. His father was an agricultural labourer and I assume his mother was a housewife.
    Ellen Dent - born 1829 in Kendal, died 1892 in Preston. She was sometimes a cotton weaver. Her father was a stone mason and I assume her mother was a housewife.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stephen1986 For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-11-2017), Dewsloth (10-11-2017), gotten (10-11-2017), kostoffj (10-11-2017), msmarjoribanks (10-11-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA
    P312>DF19>DF88>S4268
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1e

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen1986 View Post
    A large number of mine are unknown, especially on my mother's side, but here are the known ancestors -
    Interesting generational gap there: Too young to fight Napoleon or the US; too old to fight in Crimea. Everyone looks to be powering the Industrial Revolution, instead.
    R1b (aka M343) > M269 > L23 > L51 > L11 > P312 > DF19 > DF88 > FGC11833 > S4281 > S4268 > Z17112 (S17075-, L644-)

Archaeological cousin: 6DRIF-23 of Driffield Terrace Roman Cemetery, York (Z17112+, S17075+, L644-)

Known ancestors: Francis Cooke (I-M223/I2a2a) b. 1583; John Wing (U106) b. 1584; Richard Warren (M269Hidden Content ) b.c. 1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b. 1583; John Mead b.c. 1634 (I2a1/P37.2)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

Stephen1986 (10-11-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    R1b U106 Z326 Z81
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a

the only really interesting one of my 4th gg:

Pierre J. Landry:
    https://noma.org/exhibitions/pierre-...nter-sculptor/

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warwick For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-12-2017), kostoffj (10-12-2017)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Rio de Janeiro Colonial
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA
    J1a1 FGC6064+ M365+
    mtDNA
    H1ao1

Brazil
    Regional distribution of my 7th generation (64 individuals):

Number of individuals born or moved to:
    22 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    14 São Francisco do Sul, Southern Brazil
    8 Azores, Atlantic Portugal
    8 Eastern Germany
    4 Paranaguá, Paraná, Southern Brazil
    4 São Lourenço do Douro, Northern Portugal
    2 Diamantina, Minas Gerais, Brazil
    2 Volta Mantovana, Northern Italy

Europeans were low income poor and became richer moving to Brazil
    Different admixtures in a mainly Portuguese genetic stock. Distant Amerindian, African and relatively new Euro immigrants
    Social impact of slavery

1 José Gomes de Oliveira - São Francisco do Sul (SFS), Santa Catarina, Southern Brazil - Landowner, Slaveholder, Officer in the Militia, Local Councilman. Y-DNA J1 FGC5987-6175
    2 Bárbara Pereira (SFS) - Daughter of the same social class of the husband
    3 José de Miranda Coutinho - (SFS) Landowner, Slaveholder, Officer in the Militia, Local Councilman
    4 Clara Maria de Jesus (SFS) - Daughter of the same social class of the husband
    5 Manoel Machado Gallo - Born in the Azores and moved to (SFS)
    6 Ana Maria do Espírito Santo - Ilha de Santa Catarina, Brazil
    7 Raimundo José Correira Fernandes Born in the Azores and moved to (SFS)
    8 Maria Francisca do Espírito Santo - (SFS)
    9 Antonio de Oliveira Cercal - Landowner, Slaveholder, Officer in the Militia, Local Councilman
    10 Ana Maria de Miranda - (SFS)
    11 Manoel Fernandes Dias - Landowner, Slaveholder, Officer in the Militia, Local Councilman
    12 Maria Antonia Moreira - (SFS)
    13 José da Silveira Dutra - Azores
    14 Isabel Joaquina - Azores - Azores
    15 Antonio de Carvalho Bueno (SFS) Landowner, Slaveholder, Officer in the Militia, Local Councilman
    16 Bárbara Jacinta Leite de Moraes (SFS) - mtDNA A2aa
    17 Eastern Germany - Silesia or Posen - artisan or agricultural worker
    18 Eastern Germany - Silesia or Posen
    19 Eastern Germany - Silesia or Posen
    20 Eastern Germany - Silesia or Posen
    21 Eastern Germany - Silesia or Posen
    22 Eastern Germany - Silesia or Posen
    23 Eastern Germany - Silesia or Posen
    24 Eastern Germany - Silesia or Posen
    25 Azores - artisan or agricultural worker
    26 Azores
    27 Azores
    28 Azores
    29 Somewhere around Paranaguá, Southern Brazil
    30 Somewhere around Paranaguá, Southern Brazil
    31 Somewhere around Paranaguá, Southern Brazil
    32 Somewhere around Paranaguá, Southern Brazil - mtDNA C1c
    33 Joaquim Bento da Cunha - Rio de Janeiro - Worker upward mobile.
    34 Senhorinha Roza - Rio de Janeiro - Worker
    35 Barroso Pereira - Rio de Janeiro, Brazilian Nobility
    36 Genoveva Ludovina - Born as a mixed race Slave Girl in Rio de Janeiro. She had a son with her Master Pereira and was freed and became a Slaveholder and had urban properties in Rio !
    37 José Manuel de Azevedo. Rio de Janeiro.Brazilian Nobility
    38 Ana Joaquina da Costa Barros - Rio de Janeiro.Brazilian Nobility
    39 Manuel Carneiro de Campos - Born in Salvador, Bahia and moved to Rio de Janeiro. Imperial Councillor. Brazilian Nobility
    40 Maria Inácia Ferreira França - Born in Salvador, Bahia and moved to Rio de Janeiro. Brazilian Nobility
    41 João Nepomuceno Freire - Merchant in Diamantina, Minas Gerais, father of 43
    42 Ana Dalmácia Rocha - Diamantina, Minas Gerais, mother of 43
    43 Antonio Francisco da Rocha Freire - Born in Diamantina and lived in Rio de Janeiro. Brazilian Navy Officer
    44 Guilhermina Clara Lennox Paiva - Rio de Janeiro
    45 Giulio Boselli - Volta Mantovana, Lombardia, Northern Italy
    46 Margherita Urangia - Volta Mantovana, Lombardia, Northern Italy
    47 Rio de Janeiro
    48 Maria Felicia do Amor Divino - Rio de Janeiro
    49 Felix José de Sena Lisboa - Landowner, Slaveholder, Officer in the Militia, Local Councilman in Macaé, Rio de Janeiro.
    50 Ana Francisca das Neves - Macaé, Rio de Janeiro
    51 Antonio Coelho Antão - Born in the Algarve, Portugal. Coronel. Landowner, Slaveholder, Officer in the Militia, Local Councilman in Macaé, Rio de Janeiro.
    52 Antonia Ferancisca de Vasconcellos - Born in the Algarve and moved with the husband to Rio de Janeiro
    53 Somewhere around Campos - Rio de Janeiro
    54 Somewhere around Campos - Rio de Janeiro
    55 Somewhere around Campos - Rio de Janeiro
    56 Somewhere around Campos - Rio de Janeiro
    57 Luis Ribeiro - Sailor in São Lourenço do Douro - Portugal
    58 Maria Joaquina - Weaver in São Lourenço do Douro - Portugal
    59 José Joaquim - Worker in São Lourenço do Douro - Portugal
    60 Maria - Worker in São Lourenço do Douro - Portugal
    61 João Cardoso Nunes - Born in the Azores and moved to be a Shopkeeper in Rio de Janeiro
    62 Maria de Jesus - Born in the Azores and moved to be a Shopkeeper in Rio de Janeiro
    63 André de Ponte - Azores - Agricultural worker
    64 Margarida Eugênia - Azores - Agricultural worker - mtDNA H1ao1
    J1 FGC5987 to FGC6175 (188 new SNPs)
    MDKAs before Colonial Brazil
    Y-DNA - Milhazes, Barcelos, Minho, Portugal.
    mtDNA - Ilha Terceira, Azores, Portugal

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RCO For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-12-2017), Dewsloth (10-12-2017), gotten (10-14-2017), kostoffj (10-12-2017), msmarjoribanks (10-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    german/irish/english
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP263
    mtDNA
    H42a

United States of America Germany Ireland Switzerland Bohemia England
    These are great, keep 'em coming!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kostoffj For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-12-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA
    P312>DF19>DF88>S4268
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1e

Quote Originally Posted by A Norfolk L-M20 View Post
    Someone had to do it. We've had What did your 3 great grandfathers do for a living. Let's try to step it up further if we can. We each have 32 biological great great great great grandfathers, unless genetic folding has kicked in early with recent cousin marriages. How many can you report? Ladies and gentlemen, Your great great great great grandfathers please.

Mine:

[LIST=1]
    [*]Robert Waters. b.1771 Freethorpe, Norfolk, England. Mole catcher.
    This one seemed so specific, I Googled it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tchers-britain

In the 18th century mole-catchers were employed by every parish in England to keep the mole population under control. Catching these creatures required such skill that practitioners were remunerated more generously than surgeons. Mole-catchers zealously guarded their methods, divulging them only to their own children.

The earliest English descriptions of mole catching practically take the form of spells. Roger Sharrock, in 1660, advised his readers to cut up red herrings, burn them, and place the pieces in the mouths of molehills. In a pinch, garlic or leeks might also work. “I have not tryed these ways,” Sharrock added, “and therefore refer the Reader to his own tryal, belief or doubt.”

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-12-2017), gotten (10-14-2017), kostoffj (10-12-2017), msmarjoribanks (10-13-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    L-FGC51036
    mtDNA
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post
    This one seemed so specific, I Googled it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tchers-britain

As a boy, when visiting my grandmother, in that area of eastern Norfolk close to Freethorpe (Cantley), I remember learning the art of standing very still next to a mole hill with a spade, ready to kill it. There were two strict times, one morning, one afternoon, when which it was said that they'd throw up their earth. I don't think I ever had the patience to catch one ha ha. I wanted to make a mole skin cap.
    yDNA: L1b2c L-SK1414 (Oxon/Berks at Generation 9)
    mtDNA: H6a1a8 (Norfolk at Generation 9)
    279 of my direct ancestors recorded. 277 appear SE English. 2,400+ names in my kid's joint family tree.
    Hidden Content .

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A Norfolk L-M20 For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (10-12-2017), gotten (10-14-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast