Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you think mixed people (especially the coming generations) should identify?

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA
    J1c

United States of America Scotland
    Just rec’d this piece on identity. Some interesting points of view. It seems to be a synopsis of the authors book. Worthwhile read.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.ed..._of_belong.pdf
    Last edited by Amerijoe; 10-01-2017 at 02:48 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

kikkk (10-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    american

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi View Post
    Thats what I'm saying. But these days everyone, based on ignorance, acts like it does
    while, it may not technically have to do with race- the majority of people (like between 50-80%) having varying %'s of european. amerindian, and african(the ratios between these vary per nation)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic, Slavic, Italian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    H1

Italy United Kingdom Poland Germany Russian Federation Ukraine
    I consider myself Germanic-Slavic with a strong Italian contribution. Now the thing that comes to my mind is the Germans and Slavs usually have been rivals through the ages. Cool that I have genetics from both.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mixed For This Useful Post:

kikkk (10-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1

Canada Quebec United Kingdom Ireland Finland
    I'd venture to say there is no single "good" answer to this. Just going through the posts in this thread, you can see that people perceive "mixed" with different levels of granularity. And it's probably affected by their own heritage. Some people consider mixed when one is talking about populations that are visibly different while others are considering the term in reference to different nationalities from the same region. And we will also have our own perception of those different interpretations colored by our own background. Just grabbing the previous posts comment of Germans vs Slavs. To that person the distinction is clear but may not be so clear to say someone from mainland China.

I suppose how you frame your mixture depends both on your own perspective and experiences and also by any outward social pressure with the inevitable set of stereotyped expectations. If your mixture is not outwardly apparent, then you have more leeway in choosing whatever fits you. Those whose mixture is apparent have to come to terms with the fact that their interactions with society will be influenced by their appearance; our sense of self is always going to be influenced by other people, like it or not. In both cases they may have to contend with the tug of war between cultures that may not mesh smoothly. But of all of the mixed people I know, including my kids, most do find a balance that works for them. So I don't know, I think it really is a case of identifying according to how you see yourself and how you have experienced your life.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Tunisia
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA
    L2a

Tunisia
    When asked about my ethnicity I identify uniquely as Tunisian, though many people dont know much about my country and when they ask about the location of it they feel perplexed when they hear that it's in Africa.
    My closest oracles:
    1 CEU + Morocco_Jews + Swedish + Sahara_OCC @ 1.618438 DODECAD V3
    1 BedouinA + German_North + Scottish_West + Tunisian @ 1.355784 puntDNAL K12 Modern
    1 Algerian + BedouinA + British + Norwegian_West @ 2.072077 MDLP K23b

A thread where I explain how the Tunisian sample used by various gedmatch calcs is not representative of Tunisians:
    Hidden Content

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kikkk For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-13-2017), Amerijoe (10-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

The way I see it, any mix that is 1/8 or more is significant, any mix that is less is insignificant, unless that mix is on your direct paternal line. (because someone who is 1/16 Chinese with the surname "Chang" will have their mix apparent whenever they write their name, whereas someone 1/16 Chinese with the surname Ryan will not)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Dutch
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152>Z56>Z145
    mtDNA
    W5

Netherlands
    I consider myself "Dutch", as to say, if I walk around in public, I don't consider myself otherwise. However, my "minority" ancestries do certainly not make me feel fully Dutch, since the Jews and the Indo communities have had their own histories, which the "full" Dutch generally don't care about. The Jewish part never played a role, likely because it wasn't discussed after WW2; the "Indo" part lives on in food. I often recognize if someone has Indo ancestry; people tend to be good in recognizing their "own kin". Full Dutch often don't see it in my face, whereas Indo's do. Generally though, people don't really ask about my background, so I don't really stand out, certainly not because I live in a large city; however, my grandmother did have people looking at her because of her complexion.
    With my facial appearence, I have been mistaken for Italian, French, Balkan; I think I could fit in most European countries.
    Last edited by Pylsteen; 10-20-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    Ancestry (approx.): 88,5% West-European; 6,25% Jewish; 5,25% SE-Asian

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Persian+others
    Nationality
    Nation of Darius
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    R0a2

Iran Egypt Philippines Greece Serbia Croatia
    I guess it comes down to that individual and largely how they was brought up in the three major factors in my opinion when it comes to identity, culture, phenotype and ancestry. Any one of those can sway an individual to switch to something different, like for example, if an adopted child is brought up in a household of white people, only to find out genetically they are half black half south asian, this may cause them to feel that their ancestry and physical features makes them identify closer to Africans and Indians, even though they was brought up in a white household. Identity is a very delicate and complex topic, and it really varies on an individual basis.

As for myself, I don't feel mixed from a cultural/identity level, even though genetically I am to a fair degree. So it depends on how you look at it, if you want to be super technical then I am mixed, but in general, I don't identify with anything other than Iranian. I speak none of the languages linked to the other ethnic groups that make up my family history, and neither was I brought up in any culture I can link to them. Should my children be a legit mix by me having a foreign partner, the kids will be brought up in both cultures.
    Last edited by ancestryfan1994; 10-20-2017 at 01:56 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1

Canada Quebec United Kingdom Ireland Finland
    If we are talking about appearances only, I would be inclined to agree that dropping below 1/8'th makes it much less likely that a person's mixture would be noticeable. That having been said, not all chromosomes are equal when it comes to influencing your appearance, so someone could possibly win the genetic lottery and have a smaller admixture still carry a noticeable influence. I can take myself as a case in point. Now I don't have the exact percentage confirmed on paper but I have very strong proof that I am part South Asian and it shows up in multiple admixture calculators... Gencove puts it at ~3%. My known ethnicities are pretty standard NE Euro. But, I went through much of my life with people asking if I was part Asian. My classmates in high school gave me an Indian nickname because they said I looked like it (note: more based on facial features than skin tone). Neither my brother or sister seem to show anything. In fact my sister is the type of person so pale she can get a sunburn even through a glass window. I on the other hand tan very well and even found the genetic markers that apparently give me that benefit. So I suppose a few base pairs can make the difference.

It sounds like Pylsteen has a similar experience except he maybe knew about this more distant heritage all along. Was confusing as anything for me!
    Last edited by therrien.joel; 10-20-2017 at 03:14 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Dutch
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152>Z56>Z145
    mtDNA
    W5

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylsteen View Post
    With my facial appearence, I have been mistaken for Italian, French, Balkan; I think I could fit in most European countries.

I should not overestimate the "foreign appearance" though... plenty of "southern" looking Dutch people in Brabant for example.
    Ancestry (approx.): 88,5% West-European; 6,25% Jewish; 5,25% SE-Asian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast