Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you think mixed people (especially the coming generations) should identify?

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA
    J1c

United States of America Scotland
    Just rec’d this piece on identity. Some interesting points of view. It seems to be a synopsis of the authors book. Worthwhile read.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.ed..._of_belong.pdf
    Last edited by Amerijoe; 10-01-2017 at 01:48 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

kikkk (10-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    american

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi View Post
    Thats what I'm saying. But these days everyone, based on ignorance, acts like it does
    while, it may not technically have to do with race- the majority of people (like between 50-80%) having varying %'s of european. amerindian, and african(the ratios between these vary per nation)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic, Slavic, Italian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H1

Italy United Kingdom Poland Germany Russian Federation Ukraine
    I consider myself Germanic-Slavic with a strong Italian contribution. Now the thing that comes to my mind is the Germans and Slavs usually have been rivals through the ages. Cool that I have genetics from both.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mixed For This Useful Post:

kikkk (10-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    H2a

Canada Quebec United Kingdom Ireland Finland Russia Imperial
    I'd venture to say there is no single "good" answer to this. Just going through the posts in this thread, you can see that people perceive "mixed" with different levels of granularity. And it's probably affected by their own heritage. Some people consider mixed when one is talking about populations that are visibly different while others are considering the term in reference to different nationalities from the same region. And we will also have our own perception of those different interpretations colored by our own background. Just grabbing the previous posts comment of Germans vs Slavs. To that person the distinction is clear but may not be so clear to say someone from mainland China.

I suppose how you frame your mixture depends both on your own perspective and experiences and also by any outward social pressure with the inevitable set of stereotyped expectations. If your mixture is not outwardly apparent, then you have more leeway in choosing whatever fits you. Those whose mixture is apparent have to come to terms with the fact that their interactions with society will be influenced by their appearance; our sense of self is always going to be influenced by other people, like it or not. In both cases they may have to contend with the tug of war between cultures that may not mesh smoothly. But of all of the mixed people I know, including my kids, most do find a balance that works for them. So I don't know, I think it really is a case of identifying according to how you see yourself and how you have experienced your life.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Tunisia
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA
    L2a

Tunisia
    When asked about my ethnicity I identify uniquely as Tunisian, though many people dont know much about my country and when they ask about the location of it they feel perplexed when they hear that it's in Africa.
    My closest oracles:
    1 CEU + Morocco_Jews + Swedish + Sahara_OCC @ 1.618438 DODECAD V3
    1 BedouinA + German_North + Scottish_West + Tunisian @ 1.355784 puntDNAL K12 Modern
    1 Algerian + BedouinA + British + Norwegian_West @ 2.072077 MDLP K23b

A thread where I explain how the Tunisian sample used by various gedmatch calcs is not representative of Tunisians:
    Hidden Content

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kikkk For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-13-2017), Amerijoe (10-13-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123