Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    E-Z16664
    mtDNA
    H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland

Jewish- I don't think so

Confidence level speculative: Ashkenazi Jewish <0.1%. Therefore a miniscule amount. However Ashkenazi Jewish appears on timeline.
    It suggests a 4th to 7th gt grandparent or greater who is 100% Jewish . Likely born 1690-1780.

There are very few dna 'relatives' with any Ashkenazi.
    You and your DNA Relatives both have Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry. We've identified 40 individuals within your 23andMe DNA Family who have at least 1% Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

sktibo (09-14-2017)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian-White
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    E-Z16664
    mtDNA
    H67

I have no problem if I do have some Jewish but <0.1% seems such an insignificant amount. An 8th gt Jewish ancestor would mean about 0.09765625% Jewish. That would place any ancestor c1660s. I'm just not sure 23andMe is accurate for such a small amount.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Well, you know what they say happens when you "assume" something.

There are a number of assumptions -- or presumptions, really -- embedded in 23andMe's Timeline.

The first, of course, is that anything that's reported -- no matter how minuscule -- is real. Obviously that isn't the case.

But the second major presumption is that any ancestry will converge in the fewest generations on just one person. For example, since I'm reported to be 43.5% British & Irish, the presumption is that one of my parents will be 100% British. They do give themselves a little "wiggle room", since they know that inheritance isn't strictly by halves.

Of course, if one of my parents were half British & Irish I would inherit half of this ancestry -- but only if my British & Irish parent actually tested as 100%. But as you surely know, this is often not the case.

Also, for us colonials the situation get be a little more messy. My father's from Pennsylvania, and his family has consisted of mixed German and British for several generations. One of my 3rd great grandmothers, for example, had a Scots-Irish father and a German mother. (This was by ancestry, since the families of both had actually been in American for multiple generations.)

The result is that my father tests as 45.0% British & Irish. His French & German is quite a bit lower, but that's in part because both precision and recall for French & German are pretty bad. In any case, it's pretty clear that my British & Irish doesn't converge on a single person, but has been passed down to me along multiple lines.

But I'd guess that you simply have some ancestors who descend from a population that sometimes can get mixed up with Ashkenazi. Maybe there's some Southern European ancestry of some sort?

EDIT:

In response to your second post, I'm pretty sure they're not accurate for some of the small amounts. They can be real, but I wouldn't put any stock in something below 1% without some sort of corroboration. Even something like my 2% Native American might be questionable, but it shows up pretty consistently across different testing platforms and calculators, and I do have a paper trail to a specific Native American ancestor.

But any small percentage should be looked at carefully. Even with large percentages, you really need to know exactly who the reference populations are. That can make all the difference in the world. That's why "British" one place might not be at all the same as "British" somewhere else.
    Last edited by geebee; 09-14-2017 at 03:36 AM.
    The short explanation of my ancestry is British-German-Catalan, but it actually includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw and probably Cherokee. My avatar picture is of my father, his father, and his father's father. The baby in the picture is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1bS21 - S11136
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2a

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey View Post
    Confidence level speculative: Ashkenazi Jewish <0.1%. Therefore a miniscule amount. However Ashkenazi Jewish appears on timeline.
    It suggests a 4th to 7th gt grandparent or greater who is 100% Jewish . Likely born 1690-1780.

There are very few dna 'relatives' with any Ashkenazi.
    When I did my first test Chromo 2 I had a fairly significant percentage of Ashkenazi (and Finnish) but with the qualifying statement that these could just mean similar early ancestral origins. I have also read that elsewhere that Ashkenazi could "look like" something else.
    In my case it hasn't shown up on any other tests and calculators.
    I've learned not to take these small percentages too literally. John

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian-White
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    E-Z16664
    mtDNA
    H67

Re this: I was puzzled by this conversation I had on Facebook.

Group admin
    In that case you should realise that ethnicity results (and especially those that 1% or less are completely meaningless for genealogy
    What was your goal in posting this question ?

My reply- Yes I've heard of the 1%/2% is likely noise rule but some have found such small amounts of admixture to be true. It would seem though that generally the admixture results are only meaningful for 180-210 years back .

Admixture results can be thousands of years back. Ignore this tiny bit of noise. It will not help your genealogy. Unless you have another question, I will close this thread

My reply- I am puzzled about thousands of years back when 1% ie suggesting an ancestor born 180-210 years ago is seen as noise,

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey View Post
    Re this: I was puzzled by this conversation I had on Facebook.

Group admin
    In that case you should realise that ethnicity results (and especially those that 1% or less are completely meaningless for genealogy
    What was your goal in posting this question ?

My reply- Yes I've heard of the 1%/2% is likely noise rule but some have found such small amounts of admixture to be true. It would seem though that generally the admixture results are only meaningful for 180-210 years back .

Admixture results can be thousands of years back. Ignore this tiny bit of noise. It will not help your genealogy. Unless you have another question, I will close this thread

My reply- I am puzzled about thousands of years back when 1% ie suggesting an ancestor born 180-210 years ago is seen as noise,
    Where does that range 180-210y come from? That sounds more like the useful time range for cousin finding. Not done 23andMe but Ancestry now label their admixture as 'thousands of years ago' and the ones with <5% which used to be called trace regions are now called Low Confidence and personally I ignore them.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    GEDMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA), 9427684 (GEDCOM) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1bS21 - S11136
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2a

There is, I think, a lot of background genetic "soup".
    If I believed every minor percentage I pick up I would have recent ancestors from over half the Globe including Native American NW Pakistan, Basque, Sardinian etc. etc. etc. and I'm British.
    However I think certain population groups can have some similar ancient ancestry or at least appearing similar so I think it's a relevant question in that respect. I think possibly the only way you might know is if you find matches with people who have known Ashkenazi ancestry but to be honest I think that is extremely unlikely. John

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

kostoffj (09-14-2017), MacUalraig (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed with everything
    Nationality
    UK

Madagascar Mauritius Spain Dravida Nadu African Union Philippines
    <0.1% is extremely likely just noise.

Registered Users
    Sex

Don't be so disappointed in those results OP, you are officially <0.1% victim now.