Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inherited 48,5% paternal DNA and 51,5% maternal DNA (possible?)

Registered Users
    Sex

Inherited 48,5% paternal DNA and 51,5% maternal DNA (possible?)

Hi everyone. according to my MH ethnicity estimate I inherited slightly more DNA from my mother than from my father (48,5% from my father and 51,5% from my mother). Thats a differencte of 1,5%. I thought it should be devided evenly (50/50), but thats not how it is in my case. Is this possible or is there something else going on?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sergi; 09-13-2017 at 12:15 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergi For This Useful Post:

sgdavies@hotmail.com (09-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian
    Y-DNA
    N-FGC13372/Z16975

Ukraine Lithuania European Union Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergi View Post
    Hi everyone. according to my MH ethnicity estimate I inherited slightly more DNA from my mother than from my father (48,5% from my father and 51,5% from my mother). Thats a differencte of 1,5%. I thought it should be devided evenly (50/50), but thats not how it is in my case. Is this possible or is there something else going on?

Thanks
    I think it means either:
    1) Your dad has 3% of similar admixture to your mother's;
    2) Admixture calculator is a bit faulty. Myheritage uses imputation to guess certain regions of DNA. Could be a margin of error

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aha For This Useful Post:

sgdavies@hotmail.com (09-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Aha View Post
    I think it means either:
    1) Your dad has 3% of similar admixture to your mother's;
    2) Admixture calculator is a bit faulty. Myheritage uses imputation to guess certain regions of DNA. Could be a margin of error
    My mother has Jewish ancestry (hence the 3,2% Middle-Eastern DNA). My father has 10% East-European which consists of 1,7% balkan and 8,9% east-european (probably Polish and Russian according to names in my family tree such as Vielarskies and Blank). Can it be that amongst this East-European DNA hides some Middle-Eastern (Jewish) DNA? Or are Jews from these regions not mixed with the East-European natives?
    Last edited by Sergi; 09-13-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russian, German
    Nationality
    Russian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA
    U5b1e

My mother has Jewish ancestry (hence the 3,2% Middle-Eastern DNA). My father has 10% East-European which consists of 1,7% balkan and 8,9% east-european (probably Polish and Russian according to names in my family tree such as Vielarskies and Blank). Can it be that amongst this East-European DNA hides some Middle-Eastern (Jewish) DNA? Or are Jews from these regions not mixed with the East-European natives?
    Blank is a common ashkenazi surname and def. not a slavic one, Vielarskies - doesn't sound any familiar.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Roaring View Post
    Blank is a common ashkenazi surname and def. not a slavic one, Vielarskies - doesn't sound any familiar.
    My female ancestor, the one with the name Blank, her full name was Francina Wijnberg Blank (Married: Slagers). She was born in 1775. I thought her files said she was christian (according to baptism registers from the Netherlands). Her son was married to Anna Sophia Vilarskies (in some files they spell it as Vilarski). She's one of the more mysterious persons in my family tree, since there are no records of any ancestors before her whatsoever. I totally stagnate at this point in my tree. Maybe crypto Jews that fled from Eastern Europe then?
    Last edited by Sergi; 09-13-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    "Celto-Germanic"
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-Z140+ Y7198?

Canada Netherlands Scotland Ireland Northern Ireland England
    It's totally normal to inherit DNA unevenly from your parents. Please see this webpage: https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/...nd-Inheritance
    Y-DNA: I-Z140 (Y7198^?) (Scotland) NEVGEN: I-CTS6772
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2 (Ireland), R-L21 x2 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 & R-U106 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

randwulf (09-14-2017), Sergi (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I heard it's actually normal to inherit slightly more from your mother, though I don't remember how much or why that was.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kale For This Useful Post:

Sergi (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152-Z36+FGC6511
    mtDNA
    H11a2a

United States of America Germany England France Scotland Ireland
    Here is a thread I started a while ago where several of us explored an area where uneven inheritance commonly happens:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...l=1#post139925

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randwulf For This Useful Post:

Sergi (09-14-2017), spruithean (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland

Thanks
    If you're male you will always inherit a little more DNA from your mother than from your father. You get the same number of chromosomes from each one, and the members of each set are the same size ... with one exception. The Y chromosome you get from your father is tiny in comparison to the X chromosome you get from your mother.

The human Y chromosome consists of about 59 million base pairs. By comparison, the X chromosome is more than 153 million base pairs. To make things worse, the Y chromosome is usually not considered for much of anything except determining your Y haplogroup. I think that means that your percentages from each parent only consider the autosomes plus the X chromosome.

But again, the X chromosome is almost three times the length of the Y, so even if both are considered, you'll still have inherited more DNA from your mother than from your father. And this is without considering the small addition made by your mother's mtDNA.
    The short explanation of my ancestry is British-German-Catalan, but it actually includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw and probably Cherokee. My avatar picture is of my father, his father, and his father's father. The baby in the picture is my eldest brother.

GB

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

ffoucart (09-14-2017), Sergi (09-14-2017), spruithean (09-14-2017), Tolan (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    By the way, some of the answers being given here pertain more to the inheritance of ethnicities. The OP addressed the entire inheritance -- so all DNA.

What you should find is that daughters have an essentially even inheritance from both parents. That's because they inherit 22 autosomes from each parent and an X chromosome from each parent -- so they have 23 pairs of equal-sized members.

Sons will have only 22 pairs of equal-sized members -- autosomes 1 through 22. Then they'll have a pair of very unequal size: an X chromosome, plus a puny little Y chromosome. But don't get me wrong. The Y, though little, is the thing that makes sons instead of daughters. So as they say, size isn't everything.

(Not that it's better to be a guy, it's just that I'm kind of used to it. And I think my wife is happy enough about it.)

EDIT:

And, yes, I am aware that the OP also addressed Ancestry Composition. How much you get of each ancestry is simply a function of recombination, which determines the segments that are passed on from each parent. You won't likely inherit half of every ancestry simply because you don't inherit exactly half of every ancestral segment.

In fact, often people will inherit one or more chromosomes that had no crossovers -- so they only contain DNA from just one of the grandparents on that side. That means any segments on the opposite chromosome won't be passed on.

To give an example, my youngest sister is the only one of six of us who inherited a Native American segment on her maternal X chromosome. All of us inherited a few segments elsewhere, but none of us inherited that part of our grandmother's X chromosome. So instead most of us inherited what came from our grandfather in that region.

For most ancestries, our inheritance is fairly close. But again, each of us inherited some segments that not all the others did. And there are a few instances in which we inherited segments that none of our siblings did. It all comes down to where the crossovers occurred, and what DNA was passed on or left out.

But for our total inheritance from each parent, all three sons inherited more DNA from our mother. The three daughters inherited an equal amount.
    Last edited by geebee; 09-14-2017 at 04:06 AM.
    The short explanation of my ancestry is British-German-Catalan, but it actually includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw and probably Cherokee. My avatar picture is of my father, his father, and his father's father. The baby in the picture is my eldest brother.

GB

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

ffoucart (09-14-2017), Roaring (09-14-2017), Sergi (09-14-2017), spruithean (09-14-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast