Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by wgjkkwjkf View Post
    brother, have you seen any Afghan or Kurd or Turkish women married to Hindu men in Toronto, and were the men from North India or South India?
    I have seen a Punjabi Sikh guy and Parsi girl married. And a Tehrani girl married to South Indian hindu
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

wgjkkwjkf (09-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2
    mtDNA
    U4b1a1a1

Azad Baluchistan Romani Jammu and Kashmir India Hawaii Dravida Nadu
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurd View Post
    It seems that marriages between Kurds and S Asians are increasing. I personally know a couple of Kurds that married S Asians. The male is usually Kurd.

This one is Kurd- Afghan. It is hard to tell who the Kurd is and who the Afghan till the middle of the video when it becomes clear Beards are returning to Kurdistan

Personally, I like traditional ones more.

Interesting video. They both could pass for each other's ethnicity. Hard to tell the difference based on appearance.
    "He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee"

- Nietzsche

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bored For This Useful Post:

Kurd (09-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2
    mtDNA
    U4b1a1a1

Azad Baluchistan Romani Jammu and Kashmir India Hawaii Dravida Nadu
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurd View Post
    I don't doubt that since you are in Germany you have seen Kurd-German marriages. I'm just speaking from my personal experience based on interacting with my Iraqi Kurdish relatives on my dad's side, visiting Relatives and friends in Kurdistan, and interacting with the Kurdish community in the US. There are 3 Iraqi Kurds I personally know married to Punjabis, yet inspite of being in the US amongst Americans, I know of only 1 married to an American.

I can't cite any metrics because I don't think any exist, so it is just based on what I've seen. Also, I remember when I used to visit Iraqi Kurdistan when I was a kid, I remember the Kurds there used to watch Hindi movies.
    I had a Persian friend in high school. She loved Hindi movies and music.
    "He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee"

- Nietzsche

Registered Users
    Sex

man can marry a man why cannot a kurd marry a non kurd like south Asian or Chinese etc.? Inter marriages are very common.

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    Let's try and derive some interesting discussions from this topic, as I imagine Kurd had intended.

Should we be surprised by Kurdish-South Asian marriages? Are there any specific cultural traits shared between them that would make such a union more likely?

From my perspective, it isn't too surprising in an urban multi-ethnic setting. I daresay most Kurds and South Asian groups would marry within themselves given the strength of in-group preference. Of course, that is true for practically all world populations (like tends to bond with like).

In cosmopolitan environments where sufficient numbers of an ethnic group don't exist, it should be expected for the majority of such individuals to naturally pair with what they deem to be "closest" on a cultural level (for instance, a Kurdish gentleman and a Punjabi lady in a remote Finnish village, where they're among a handful of non-Finns). We have to assume phenotype plays a role in the selection process among many (but not all).

On the topic of affinities towards the Subcontinent, Bollywood and Indian culture became very popular among Iranians from the 60's onwards (I don't know whether that phenomenon has persisted beyond the 90's). I believe my maternal aunt even traveled to India and became fluent in Hindi.

I don't know the extent to which Kurds from Iraq or Turkey shared that enthusiasm for the Subcontinent, but again, wouldn't be too surprised if it did. Call it a "West Iranic-syncing".

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

Kurd (09-15-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (09-15-2017), Targum (09-15-2017), wgjkkwjkf (09-17-2017)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post

I don't know the extent to which Kurds from Iraq or Turkey shared that enthusiasm for the Subcontinent, but again, wouldn't be too surprised if it did. Call it a "West Iranic-syncing".
    Hi,

I am Kurd from Turkey. South Asian culture is not known in Turkey, neither among the Kurds nor the Turks. People tend to associate the South Asian culture with fancy Bollywood style dances and spicey food.
    It might be different among the Kurdish emigrants abroad.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lupus82 For This Useful Post:

DMXX (09-15-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (09-15-2017), wgjkkwjkf (09-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus82 View Post
    Hi,

I am Kurd from Turkey. South Asian culture is not known in Turkey, neither among the Kurds nor the Turks. People tend to associate the South Asian culture with fancy Bollywood style dances and spicey food.
    It might be different among the Kurdish emigrants abroad.
    Yeah I've read Turkish people tend to like Pakistanis over Indians. Keep in mind for world SA culture means Indian/bollywood culture in general. Seeing how high we have Iranian students population in India, it's probably more popular in Iran.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

Targum (09-15-2017)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    Yeah I've read Turkish people tend to like Pakistanis over Indians. Keep in mind for world SA culture means Indian/bollywood culture in general. Seeing how high we have Iranian students population in India, it's probably more popular in Iran.
    I have heard so... The cultural contact between the South Asian countries and Iran is higher whereas it is limited in Turkey.
    Turkey and Pakistan have amicable relations for both are Muslims. India is not known. There are not any Indian immigrants around these parts of the world. Hence, it is a "remote" country to us.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lupus82 For This Useful Post:

MonkeyDLuffy (09-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

This article by Kamal Chomani (Iraqi Kurd) in the Kurdistan Tribune pretty much sums up the sentiments of the Iraqi Kurds I know (friends and relatives) with regards to Indians and Indian culture.

https://kurdistantribune.com/kurdist...illion-people/

[IMG][/IMG]

I have been living in Bangalore, India for about 13 months. I am here to study Masters. India to me, as it is, is incredible. I feel as if I am at home. People here are friendly. My teachers and colleagues are just great.

I am from Iraq, but Iraq is not my country. I cannot speak Arabic which is the official language of the country. Luckily three more Iraqi people are with me who have helped me to manage my Arabic. My culture is different from Arabs. I don’t want to look like a nationalist, because I am telling the truth. I am a Kurd! My mother tongue is Kurdish. My homeland is Kurdistan.

This is consistent with what I have seen and experienced when visiting Iraqi Kurdistan:

What links Kurds and Indians?

There are some connections between Kurds and Indians. Perhaps there are older connections. There are many words in common between the Kurdish language and Hindi. I think, this is the main reason Kurds love Indian movies, culture and films.
    Recently, a very close friend of mine, called me to say that I had to send him back a beautiful Indian Sari for his fiancée. I went to the market and bought two kinds of Indian clothes. She wore them in the most famous Kurdish festival, Newroz. I later realized she has been influenced by Indian movies and film stars.
    When I was a young boy, my cousin had a video. He used to invite us every night for an Indian film. He had all kinds of Indian films. I still remember those days when we used to gather calmly to watch an Indian film. Now, Bollywood films are widely watched in Kurdistan. Some Indian TV stations are available in Kurdistan that people watch; apart from that, in the film stores, anyone can find Indian movies.
    I was recently met a Kurdish student here in Bangalore who studies pharmacy. I was really amazed by the huge information he has about Bollywood stars. Later, another friend told me that this student even can speak some Hindi and his love to India is the reason he has come to India to study.

Nowadays, India is a destination for Kurdish students to study masters and bachelor degrees. It can be estimated that there are more than 500 Kurdish students here. They are spread all over India. The cities that Kurds are studying in are Pune, Bangalore, Delhi, AurangAbad, Allah Abad, and Heyderabad. In Bangalore, Kurdish students are about 80 in number.

Kurdish people love Indians. Indian films are widely watched in Kurdistan. I was told that one of my neighbors in my hometown can speak Hindi now since she has been addicted to Indian that this student even can speak some Hindi and his love to India is the reason he has come to India to study.

Nowadays, India is a destination for Kurdish students to study masters and bachelor degrees. It can be estimated that there are more than 500 Kurdish students here. They are spread all over India. The cities that Kurds are studying in are Pune, Bangalore, Delhi, AurangAbad, Allah Abad, and Heyderabad. In Bangalore, Kurdish students are about 80 in number.

Kurdish people love Indians. Indian films are widely watched in Kurdistan. I was told that one of my neighbors in my hometown can speak Hindi now since she has been addicted to Indian

Kamal Chomani is a Kurdish journalist currently studying Masters in English Literature in India. He can be reached at: kamalchomani@gmail.com
    Last edited by Kurd; 09-15-2017 at 07:41 PM.
    EurasianDNA.com - A study of the population history of West & South Asia.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

bored (09-16-2017), Gandhara (09-15-2017), MonkeyDLuffy (09-15-2017), wgjkkwjkf (09-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Saini
    Nationality
    British

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    Turkish people tend to be quite friendly with everyone. I knew several Turkish people and they were no less friendly with Indians than Pakistanis. Reason Pakistanis are well thought of in Turkey is that it has been propagated that Pakistanis supported Turks during world war 1 and Turkey's Independence War, though I think it was Indian Muslims generally who supported Turkey not just those from Pakistan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast