Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP371*
    mtDNA
    HV11a

Netherlands Noord-Brabant Croatia Croatia Split-Dalmatia Austrian Empire

Mirror trees, DNA tree linking, circles

I'm confused with AncestryDNA user interface.

To get shared hints, I've read somewhere you have to create a mirror tree from one of your relatives. Then you have to designate yourself on the tree and your relative as home person.

Then you have to attach your DNA to that tree. I was baffled when I saw that you can't attach your DNA to multiple tree, but to only one! So, now my DNA is attached to the mirror tree of my 10th cousin. I suppose, now shared hints will trickle in.

What about circles? Do I have to do anything, or now something will happen by magic?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Nationality
    American

Germany Palatinate Switzerland France Wales Ireland United States of America
    The important part for getting shared hints is just having your DNA attached to a tree, any tree, that has as many of your relatives/ancestors as possible with as complete of information about them as possible. The shared hints requires that you and a match have the same ancestor(s) in your tree as one of your matches, and that ancestry can recognize them is the same person/people. Circles works similarly, in that it needs the ancestors to be in dna matches tree (and yours) to become part of the circle, but additionally their trees and yours must be public, and they only start to form when 3 or more people have the same info that are genetic matches. To be in a circle (after one forms) you don't need to match with everyone in the tree just have the common relative and be a match to at least one other member.

Because of all the requirements, circles are much less frequent, both shared hints and circles can take awhile to process, sometimes days to show up. So after you attach your dna to a new tree that is well filled out, don't panic if you still don't get anything right away.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hayden For This Useful Post:

Basta (09-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Nationality
    American

Germany Palatinate Switzerland France Wales Ireland United States of America
    That still sounds confusing, but bottom line: have your DNA attached to yourself in a public tree and add as much info as you can, especially for direct ancestors, and the rest should take care of itself.