Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why would a British person get low Great Britain ?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1a1b1
    mtDNA
    H1c3

England Ireland Wales Scotland England North of England European Union
    I get the following -

Europe West 38% (range 11-64%)
    Ireland 27% (range 10-45%)
    Great Britain 26% (0-57%) - the range is quite large
    Scandinavia 7% (0-23%)

Here's my known ancestry (the one in the English Channel is actually my great great grandma who was born in Dover, her parents were Irish from Roscommon and Dublin counties) -

Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 20.40.10.png

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen1986 For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (09-06-2017), L1983 (09-06-2017), sktibo (09-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1bS21 - S11136
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2a

If you want to understand why Ancestry get "British" so badly wrong, apart from technical shortcomings maybe, read the link below (a very basic understanding of British History is require) .
    Basically it goes something like this. Some of your British ancestors only arrived here (in Britain) about 1,500 years ago with the Anglo Saxons and Norse, therefore you aren't really British, you are German and Scandinavian. This is from a time when Countries didn't actually exist.
    Here is an amazing surprise, since we are an island, we all came here from somewhere else over the last several thousand years, therefore we aren't really British (so did everyone else, just about everywhere). We are all Africans really aren't we, on this logic?
    "It found that, despite the pervasive myth among some people of the ‘real’ Brit, the average UK resident is actually mixed ethnicity – 36.9% Anglo Saxon, 21.6% Celtic, and 19.9% Western (continental) European"
    British is basically Anglo Saxon, they say, the earlier inhabitants over the previous several thousand years seem to be mainly French and Spanish.
    The really bad news is if you are from America or somewhere else that has seen huge migration over the last few hundred years and you think you are an American or whatever, you ain't, you ain't even close. I'll leave it to you to decide whether this is just a lack of understanding. John

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...JCRSPnta7UsfPQ

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (09-06-2017), astondive (09-07-2017), JMcB (09-06-2017), L1983 (09-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I find it interesting how the Americans seem to record higher GB % than Native born Brits.
    on Ancestry .com that is. this company seems slanted towards the American audience......

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (09-07-2017), Amerijoe (09-07-2017), astondive (09-07-2017), Judith (09-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z195 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B

Canada England Scotland Germany France
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I find it interesting how the Americans seem to record higher GB % than Native born Brits.
    I'm fairly sure it's because Americans are often of mixed descent, and the GB category on Ancestry uses a fairly mixed reference population for its Great Britain category, the southeast English. It is interesting, and very confusing! The Irish and Western Scottish aside, Ancestry seems to be a very bad choice for people of British Isles descent a lot of the time, as we can see from the inconsistency in the results posted here
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, German 18.75%, Scottish 17.96%, Irish (mostly lowland Scottish origin) 12.5%, French 8.2%, Eastern European 6.25%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, French, and Native American, but these percentages would be minuscule.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    I'm fairly sure it's because Americans are often of mixed descent, and the GB category on Ancestry uses a fairly mixed reference population for its Great Britain category, the southeast English. It is interesting, and very confusing! The Irish and Western Scottish aside, Ancestry seems to be a very bad choice for people of British Isles descent a lot of the time, as we can see from the inconsistency in the results posted here
    All ancestry does, like all these ethnicity tests, is match you with the best "match".

Myself for example, again:
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleRPeople View Post
    3% British, 35% West Europe, 38% Scandinavian, 17% Ireland, 3% Greece, 2% Finland/NE Russia, 1% South Asian.
    What do you think my actual ancestry happens to be?

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA
    J1c

United States of America Scotland
    Ireland 49% range 25-72
    Great Britain47%. range 21-72%
    Low Confidence Region
    European Jewish 1%
    Italy/Greece < 1%
    Europe West < 1%
    Finland/Northwest Russia < 1%

Livingdna Isles results break down as follows.
    Scotland/N. Ireland 51.8%
    English related. 27.7%
    Ireland. 14.7%.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I cannot confirm or refute these results. In my opinion, this is a concerted effort to 'Knock the Scot' out of me. The start of this effort was first encountered in earnest upon my arrival to the States. This has been recently verified by the US State Department issuing me an updated passport where place of birth has been changed from Scotland to the U.K. Now if I could only knock the Scot out of Ancestry's categories or are they in on it. Shouldn't have read the thread on neuroticism.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

Jessie (09-07-2017), JMcB (09-06-2017), JohnHowellsTyrfro (09-07-2017), sktibo (09-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    typical American
    mtDNA
    A2

United States of America Cuba Catalonia California Republic Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    Ancestry seem to have a very limited understanding of British origins. They seem to think British and Anglo Saxon are the same thing. I wouldn't test with them to be honest not for British ancestry anyway. John
    John, I have read that about several of the DNA testing companies. Do not know for a fact though (I have no known or identified British ancestry myself). I am going to have to educate myself as well on the terms you just mentioned.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixster For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (09-07-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z195 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B

Canada England Scotland Germany France
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleRPeople View Post
    All ancestry does, like all these ethnicity tests, is match you with the best "match".
    What I'm saying is that if you pick a population that is mixed, then other people which are mixed are going to match with that population. We know that mixed people often get a lot of Great Britain, and that someone with all ancestry from Kent got 94% Great Britain, indicating that SE England is a place where lots of samples are from for the GB category. We also know that the southeast English are a genetically mixed population. So, mixed people end up matching with a mixed population; and to clarify that when I say mixed here I'm referring to mixed NW European people.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, German 18.75%, Scottish 17.96%, Irish (mostly lowland Scottish origin) 12.5%, French 8.2%, Eastern European 6.25%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, French, and Native American, but these percentages would be minuscule.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (09-07-2017), Jessie (09-07-2017), JMcB (09-06-2017), JohnHowellsTyrfro (09-07-2017)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Mixed what though? They must share something to match up.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1bS21 - S11136
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2a

Quote Originally Posted by Trixster View Post
    John, I have read that about several of the DNA testing companies. Do not know for a fact though (I have no known or identified British ancestry myself). I am going to have to educate myself as well on the terms you just mentioned.
    I would have thought a company telling people whether or not they have British ancestry should at least understand how that ancestry is made up.
    The term "Briton" was first used widely by the Romans who invaded about 44 AD to describe the Celtic or Brythonic peoples who lived in what is now Scotland England and Wales, although these countries didn't exist that far back. Supposedly the Romans left little genetic impact on that population.
    The next big migration event was the Anglo Saxons and Vikings from about 410 AD. The Anglo Saxons did leave a significant genetic impact mainly in what is now England but even there it didn't entirely replace the DNA of the earlier population. Even in Eastern England which had the biggest impact, the Anglo Saxon DNA is estimated to be around one third at most, in other parts of England in the West it is considerable less.
    Then you had the invasion of the Normans in 1066 who apparently also left little genetic impact because of relatively small numbers.
    Britain is not England or "Angle Land". The pre-Anglo Saxon populations are most strongly represented in Scotland and Wales but also in England. This is a bit simplified, but just shows that it's much more complicated than presented.
    In my personal opinion the only existing DNA testing company that deals with Britain reasonable effectively is LivingDNA, at least they are realistic about what they can and can't tell you. John

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (09-07-2017), astondive (09-07-2017), L1983 (09-07-2017), sgdavies@hotmail.com (09-07-2017), sktibo (09-07-2017), Trixster (09-07-2017)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast