Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands

AncestryDNA results from Asia, the Pacific & Native Americans

In order to improve correct interpretation of AncestryDNA’s regions i have been collecting AncestryDNA results of persons from Asia, the Pacific and Native Americans.
    Follow these links for more details:

Online Spreadsheet with AncestryDNA results
    AncestryDNA results from Asia, the Pacific & Native Americans (blogpost incl. screenshots of individual results)

Below my main findings:

A total of 156 samples with backgrounds from atleast 37 different countries across Asia, the Pacific and the Americas has been used for my main survey findings (see chart above). Even when for some of the separate nationalities i was only able to obtain a minimal sample size. As can also be verified from Ancestry's own information as well as the above chart the prediction accuracy of each region reported by AncestryDNA is variable. The "Asia Central" region probably being least predictive. The other regions are sometimes very predictive for selected populations close to the samples used by AncestryDNA , such as Koreans, Saudi and Pakistani/NW Indians but also Polynesians and Native Americans from Latin America. However neighbouring populations tend to require additional regions which often seem eccentric if you fixate too much on the labeling.

This seems to be inevitable given increasing genetic differentation not to be captured within one single lump category. The particular constellation of AncestryDNA’s reference panel and its algorithm being focused on detecting origins from possibly “thousands of years ago” are important aspects to take into consideration. The chart above featuring my main survey findings is therefore best understood when you keep in mind overlapping geography/genetics and ancient migrations across the continents.
    Last edited by Don Felipe; 09-05-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Exploring the Ethnic Origins of the Afro-Diaspora

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

Apex n Harmony (09-06-2017), Babatunde (09-07-2017), Bobby Martnen (10-01-2017), Dubhthach (09-07-2017), jortita (09-06-2017), NiloSaharan (09-05-2017), Oleg (Rus) (09-28-2017), shazou (09-07-2017), sktibo (09-06-2017), Tjada (10-02-2017), XooR (09-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    West Asian results

Hidden Content

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

Oleg (Rus) (10-22-2017), shazou (09-07-2017), XooR (09-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    South Asian results

Hidden Content

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

shazou (09-07-2017), XooR (09-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Central Asian & Native American results

Hidden Content

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

Dubhthach (09-07-2017), Oleg (Rus) (11-15-2017), shazou (09-07-2017), XooR (09-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Asian & Pacific results

Hidden Content

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

Dubhthach (09-07-2017), shazou (09-07-2017), XooR (09-06-2017)

Registered Users

Very Interesting! It would be interesting to see how close the averages are for Ancestry after thousands of samples as opposed to your averages. It would be a neat update if they did that. Ancestry tells us what other regions reference samples are found; however, if they put a real number next to that figure it would be very helpful. Thank you for your work because at least now we have an idea of what those proportions might be.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (09-06-2017)

Registered Users

I wonder how accurate it is to ascribe European Jewish to samples from Saudi Arabia, Iraq, or Turkey? Perhaps the genes popping up are more ancient from the Levant region and could even be Phoenician?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

XooR (09-07-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    I wonder how accurate it is to ascribe European Jewish to samples from Saudi Arabia, Iraq, or Turkey? Perhaps the genes popping up are more ancient from the Levant region and could even be Phoenician?
    I have seen some reactions of West Asians and also Egyptians after receiving such results and naturally they were surprised to say the least I strongly suspect that in most cases it is not any genuine Jewish ancestry being reflected by these scores but more so shared ancient origins. Eventhough i imagine there will have been plenty of occasion of some minor absorption of Jewish genes in the general area throughout the ages. Then again i'm doubtful these Mizrahi Jews would really be that distinctive genetically speaking from their surrounding populations.

I have yet to see a result of either a Mizrahi or Sephardi Jew, would be really insightful to see how much "European Jew" they receive as opposed to "Middle East" and most likely also "Italy/Greece". Sephardi's might additionally also score some "Africa North" & "Iberian Peninsula" i suppose.
    Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

XooR (09-06-2017)

Sex

I am trying to figure out how this all works. Can you please help me, so i have my ancestry results but how are you taking the results and averaging them out to figure out other places your ancestors may of come from?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany France
    dadancestrydna.png

My father's result. Metis descent. I always wondered what was up with that Central Asia percentage he got but your collection of results appears to explain it: Canada (mb) must be Manitoba, where his Native American ancestry came from. Cree, Salteaux, and Assiniboine.

Mystery solved! thank you Don Felipe!
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, East German or Eastern European 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (09-06-2017), XooR (09-07-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast