Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has the most matches in AncestryDNA?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    Brother I-M26, I2a1a
    mtDNA
    H4a1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I have 292 pages, how do you divide the people's results into groups of countries?
    You may gave already found the search matches button top right, then the next page allows you to search by surname or birth location. Only useful if the match has a tree connection. I assume that for me it means a tree with any one person in it from England.
    I am lucky in that I recognised a second cousin at a glance and his shared matches gave me a 4th cousin and a 7th cousin once removed confirming 2 well established lines and looking promising for the longest possibly tentative one.
    As someone above stated genetic communities will work better when your parents are from different areas whereas mine are mixed in the same area.
    I appreciate all the advice and stories guys, please keep them coming. The number of UK people testing is still low, possibly where USA was a few years ago, so I can watch and learn.
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 44% Cheshire, 1% Worcestershire, 1% Scottish (or Irish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British, Jewish, etc.
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    H3

United States of America Scotland Ireland England
    I currently have 804 pages of matches on Ancestry.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles, NW Europe
    Nationality
    Southern American (Arkie)
    Y-DNA
    R-DF99>FGC847>FGC864
    mtDNA
    H3b1b1

United States of America Northern Ireland Scotland England North of England Ireland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    I'd agree with these points, but I'd suggest that DNA Circles can also be helpful. Often these will include some people with "Shared Ancestor Hints", but not always. There is, of course, no guarantee that you'll actually be related through the person at the top of the DNA Circle, but it at least gives a direction in which to focus your searches.

Of course, this may be more useful for folks like me whose ancestry is fairly diverse -- either ethnically or geographically. I know that people with relatives mainly from the American South are more likely to be related to me through my mother than through my father, for example; and those from Pennsylvania are more likely to be related through my father. However, the more distant a relative is, the more likely it is that there are multiple ways by which they might be related.
    How much luck have you had actually identifying your common ancestor with a DNA Circle?

Sister in law has 1,203 pages or roughly 60,150 matches on Ancestry. 7,453 are 4th cousins meaning over 50,000 are possibly too far removed to be of assistance. To be generous 13,783 are included between the two sub-Genetic Communities though haven't gone through. Both sides Americas since the 1500s/1600s with a handful of 1800s & mid 1900s migrants.

Gedmatch
    13258 >= 7cM and 62654 < 7cM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-M269
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    For example, I can search on "Settlers of Colonial Pennsylvania" to see those of my matches who have also been assigned to this community -- but if they don't have a tree, they won't be assigned to any genetic communities. (And they might not be assigned to a community even if they do have a tree.)
    My aunt has a genetic community and she has no tree. I have 283 pages of matches so I'm on the lower end.
    Ancestry: 96% Ireland, 2% Great Britain, 1% Finland/Northwest Russia, <1% Scandinavia & Connacht Genetic Community
    MyHeritage: 100% Irish, Scottish, Welsh
    FTDNA: 100% British Isles
    Known: Roscommon, Galway, Mayo
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Martin Kelly - son Martin b. 1819 in Co. Roscommon (Donnchadh O'Kelly of Hy Many b.c. 1374 in Gailey Castle & d. 1424)
    Maternal ancestor: James Feenaghty – son William b. 1788 in Co. Roscommon
    Maternal ancestor (mt): Anne McDermott b.c. 1814 in Co. Roscommon

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Obviously my recollection of a tree being required was wrong. That's good to know.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Torc Seanathair View Post
    How much luck have you had actually identifying your common ancestor with a DNA Circle?
    It depends. One problem is that many of the folks in some of my circles are in several of my circles. We have more than one set of common ancestors.

In some cases, we would have a Shared Ancestor Hint if only their tree went back another generation. In that case, I can usually work out a connection.

EDIT: I should note that this is more true for 4th cousins or closer.
    Last edited by geebee; 09-09-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Additional comment

8. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Torc Seanathair (09-11-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    My family's DNA has been so unsuccessful for that of a British family. On AncestryDNA, I get only 162 pages of 50 matches per page. On GEDmatch over 7 cm, using my 23andme kit, I get:

2000 matches (6000 - 2568 rows)
    Query time = 0.03 - Total Search time = 0.95 seconds
    Matches Excluded - Not Public: 350 - F1: 0 - No Link: 22 - Short Shared: 0 - Duplicate: 7

Is that 2568 matches?
    yDNA: L1b2c L-SK1414 (Oxon/Berks at Generation 9)
    mtDNA: H6a1a8 (Norfolk at Generation 9)
    Hidden Content .

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    "Celto-Germanic"
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-Z140+ Y7198?

Canada Netherlands Scotland Ireland Northern Ireland England
    Quote Originally Posted by A Norfolk L-M20 View Post
    My family's DNA has been so unsuccessful for that of a British family. On AncestryDNA, I get only 162 pages of 50 matches per page. On GEDmatch over 7 cm, using my 23andme kit, I get:

2000 matches (6000 - 2568 rows)
    Query time = 0.03 - Total Search time = 0.95 seconds
    Matches Excluded - Not Public: 350 - F1: 0 - No Link: 22 - Short Shared: 0 - Duplicate: 7

Is that 2568 matches?
    I've wondered this, if you have 2568 matches on gedmatch, I guess I have 2269 matches, with 252 private (what a shame!). I think I have 1500 something on FTDNA, with only a handful being relatives that I can place in my family tree. The rest I have no idea where the connection is.
    Y-DNA: I-Z140 [Big Y: PENDING] (Scotland)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2 (Ireland), R-L21 x2 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 & R-U106 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

11. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (09-10-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12