Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA
    J1-YSC234 (Z18271+)
    mtDNA
    J1c5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean M View Post
    I'm certainly not proposing that! I feel that East Anglia today most probably has the highest proportion of Anglo-Saxon ancestry in England, though other areas in Eastern England could also score highly. Where I am unwilling to guess is on the question of which Celtic tribes furnished the majority of Brittonic wives/slaves of the East Angles. I'm not sure that we are going to be able to work it out from ancient DNA either.
    Fair point, and I am quite enclined to agree with your assertion that East Anglia has the highest proportion of Anglo-Saxon ancestry in England (the East Anglian results I've seen certainly suggest this is the case). Still odds are that most of the Celtic ancestry in East Anglia does go back to the local Celtic tribes (most prominently to the Iceni and the Trinovantes), especially if we take the modern peak in U152 in East Anglia into account as this suggests that the local Celtic population had more recent ties to the European mainland and might've had a different uniparental makeup compared to other parts of the Isles where R1b-L21 was the predominant lineage since the Bronze Age (though I might well be wrong on this, like you said ancient DNA might not be conclusive evidence in this case).
    Last edited by Agamemnon; 10-15-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    ᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-15-2017), Power77 (Yesterday), sgdavies@hotmail.com (10-15-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    L-FGC51036
    mtDNA
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    My personal opinion. I would love to claim descent from the Iceni. It seems from what I've seen in studies such as POBI and the Cambridgeshire Haak etal that even East Anglians still have a considerable measure of Old British ancestry in their admixture, even if possibly the lowest in modern day Britain. However, I don't think that we can even begin to estimate how much flow into the region of East Anglia has occurred since the Claudian Invasion, from other parts of the British Isles. I know that an old surname study that I picked up in a used bookshop, based on place-surnames, suggested a 15% movement into Norfolk from other parts of England during the 14th to mid 16th centuries, with evidence of many moving from as far away as Yorkshire. That's just one episode. We don't know how or if the population needed to be replenished after the punitive repercussions of the Boadiccan Rebellion. So much scope for the general swirling of people over the past 2000 years. I think it likely that East Anglians have some Iceni ancestry. However, much of this claim relies on the principles of genetic folding - that many people across the British Isles, and the Continent, may well have some distant Late Iron Age ancestors that identified with the Ceni Magni.
    yDNA: L1b2c L-SK1414 (Oxon/Berks at Generation 9)
    mtDNA: H6a1a8 (Norfolk at Generation 9)
    279 of my direct ancestors recorded. 277 appear SE English. 2,400+ names in my kid's joint family tree.
    Hidden Content .

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A Norfolk L-M20 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (Yesterday), Power77 (Yesterday), sgdavies@hotmail.com (10-15-2017), spruithean (10-15-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123