Thread: What is Italy/Greece?

What is Italy/Greece?

Hi everyone,
    Recently I got my DNA results and they said I was 24% Italy/Greece. Now in the past, I have always presumed Italians and Greeks were two seperate ethnic groups that just happen to both be in the Mediterranean. But AncestryDNA has put the two together as one? Is Italy/Greece just an umbrella term for everyone from the Mediterranean in a geographic sense or is it the Greek colonists in Italy? I'm very confused just what this means and the description has provided no insight for why they are treated as the same place.

Thanks

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew512 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Recently I got my DNA results and they said I was 24% Italy/Greece. Now in the past, I have always presumed Italians and Greeks were two seperate ethnic groups that just happen to both be in the Mediterranean. But AncestryDNA has put the two together as one? Is Italy/Greece just an umbrella term for everyone from the Mediterranean in a geographic sense or is it the Greek colonists in Italy? I'm very confused just what this means and the description has provided no insight for why they are treated as the same place.

Thanks
    there are some genetic similarities, but also some differences..... Greeks did colonize southern Italy, Crotone (KR) is one example and there are a few Calabresi villages that still celebrate their Grecian roots. There is also Balkan DNA obviously in Greeks, but also in southern Italians. each group also has MENA traces, some from N. Africa some from the Levant, some have both..... this is over simplifying things but using a broad brush is fair just as it is for western-Europeans be they French or German....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-30-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British & Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-L226/R-FGC12290*
    mtDNA
    H2a2b1a1

England Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland European Union
    I guess that they don't have enough of a reference panel in order to distinguish the two (or more) similar genetic signatures? I don't know what Ancestry are up to know but their V2 (2013) reference panel for Italy/Greece was 171 samples https://www.ancestry.com.au/cs/dna-h...ity/whitepaper
    At least there are a few Genetic Communities... Northern Italians, Southern Italians, Sicilians and Southeastern Europeans.
    LivingDNA may get around to looking at Italy and Greece but I think their current projects are to further breakdown Ireland, Scotland, Germany and Sweden (they are the ones that I've come across).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Nationality
    Italy & USA
    Y-DNA
    T CTS8862
    mtDNA
    H12

Italy United States of America
    Geno 2 Helix Reference Population:

GREEKS:

Italy & Southern Europe: 44% - Eastern Europe: 32% - Asia Minor: 19% - Jewish Diaspora: 5%

TUSCANS (ITALY)

Italy & Southern Europe: 67% - Eastern Europe: 15% - Northwestern Europe: 9% - West Mediterranean: 9%
    Last edited by Salento; 09-01-2017 at 03:27 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Salento For This Useful Post:

vettor (09-01-2017)