Thread: Steppe Admixture in Calcolithic Anatolia?: an MDLP23b Perspective

Registered Users
    Sex

Steppe Admixture in Calcolithic Anatolia?: an MDLP23b Perspective

So I found using MDLP K23b a tad more useful for gauging steppe ancestry over at Gedmatch than MDLP K16 as the latter tends to assign steppe ancestry to early European and Anatolian farmers which theoretically shouldn't be there. Here's Anatolia's Neolithic through this run:

Pretty typical results for this time and region. Now let's see how Barcın Hyk looks at c. 4000 BC aka the Anatolian Calcolithic:

Notice the appearance of Ancestral Altaic, South Central Asian and increase in Caucasian? Only related components missing are AmeriIndian and Euro/Western HG. Why focus on this specimen? Here's what David Anthony had to say about the formation of the IE Anatolian branch within area of interest:

The Calcolithic Anatolian was female and so has only mtDNA which is of course useless considering that the Suvorovo migration was of male elites from the steppe as interpreted by Telegin. So was this woman descended from one of the males of R1 clades associated with IE migration? Did she have Suvorovo ancestors who prayed to the rising sun upon riding to the shore?
    Last edited by geomattica; 08-25-2017 at 01:55 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I'm not saying Anatolia Chalcolithic doesn't have steppe-like mixture, I'm not entirely sure. But what you have there does not do anything to show it. I'd assume any ancient Iranian samples run through that calculator would show a lot of that South-central-asian component, and Anatolia Chalcolithic has some Iran Chalcolithic like ancestry.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    I'm not saying Anatolia Chalcolithic doesn't have steppe-like mixture, I'm not entirely sure. But what you have there does not do anything to show it. I'd assume any ancient Iranian samples run through that calculator would show a lot of that South-central-asian component, and Anatolia Chalcolithic has some Iran Chalcolithic like ancestry.
    Well it does show it (or something like it? Fuzzy logic applies here to this approach: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic). However your point perhaps explains why the Euro Hunter gatherer component is missing. I know the Iranian Neolithic was very influential but on the other hand this site is pretty close to the Balkans. Also when I run the Iranian Neolithic through MDLP 23b I get no ANE. It only begins to appear in Iran's Calcolithic on that run and apparently there is difficulty in assessing how real the ANE would be to Iran around these times. And some of the literature I presented suggests Steppe/IE migration would be fair game during the Copper Age.

Would be nice to get a little more Y-DNA from around Anatolia during this time.
    Last edited by geomattica; 08-25-2017 at 05:15 PM.