Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland

Why I tested Living_DNA

Haydn Eryl Hughes grandson of John Pride Griffiths Gatwen, Tudweiliog, Pwllheli Wales 4th cousin now at AncestryDNA.. Cannot figure it out..
    They have shared matches with other Welsh matches of mine: Annwen Hughes,dyfthegog,anelog all also 4th cousins.. one or two actually come up higher

To the best of my knowledge my many Wales ancestors are in DE and PA Welsh Tracts by 1710

Which of course is why I tested Living_DNA..
    UGH.. still cannot figure it out..

My oldest Welsh ancestors ( many of them) are in Delaware and Pennsylvania Welsh Tracts before or at least in 1710..

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

dp (08-19-2017), Judith (09-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

So several days later I have two more Wales matches.. all of them from Wales These do not match Anwen Hughes and dyfthegog but match another match I have had for a long time from 23andme ( now also at Ancestry)..None of these people have yet put anything on Gedmatch..BUT their trees coincide.. Problem is their mutual ancestor ( Evan Jones/ Mary Roberts) is c. 1818 and my only unplaced ancestor is Moses Jones who appears married to Katherine McNatt in Delaware in 1741..
    Am sure he did not spring up out of the ground so I need to go further back on this line and perhaps can figure something..
    My other cousins on that line however do NOT come up with huge Wales match..Just my Sister and myself

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Three weeks ago I posted here what was really a "help me" query about my extensive Wales ancestry.. which Living_DNA indicates is extensive

Today I posted this elsewhere.." At AncestryDNA My sister and I both have a lot of 4th ( occasionally 3rd) cousins..most of whom still live in Wales..

I have looked at ALL 29 of those I have "Shared matches" at Ancestry and NO ONE has Wales as a Genetic Community.. Carol Bodofsky (Sister) and I have two.. One is Welsh Midlands that overlaps this one at Bangor I think..

Of course we are MORE Irish than Welsh but it seems to be my father's father whose ancestry and name is sort of unknown to us must be the person who is at least 1/2 Welsh ( we had thought it was his Norway Grandfather.. Early DNA looked like that was so but not with 5 million testers at AncestryDNA and 2+ Million at 23andme..

I am now asking my closest Wales matches if THEY also have Wales as Genetic Communities.. that may tell us something

There are only 3 families in PennsGrove/Carneys Point, the small town my 15 years old grandmother lived in when she had my father..Different names have sprung up from time to time between 1920-1930 that have Wales as a birth place..

These names: Roberts, Griffith, Webber ( and always Jones and David) I also have the new cousin from Wales from 23andme.. several from there also.. and also at Family Tree DNA..Most are from Caernarvonshire
    This is why I tested at Living_DNA.. who indicate me at 30+%
    " I am 68% Ireland and 17% Great Britain at Ancestry and 8% Scandinavian 5 % Europe West.. 23andme says 87.7% Biritsh/Irish and a little bit German( 2.8) % and 6.7 % Broadly Euro.. FTDNA Does meander all over the place but essentially I think I could be somewhere around the 20-30% Living_DNA Says"

Hopefully these two images will post North Wales.png and Wales DNA.png

Any thoughts? I have no first cousins that have popped up anywhwre unclaimed..

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

avalon (09-15-2017), Robert1 (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    UK
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-BY11186
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1a1

England Ireland Scotland Wales Germany Netherlands
    Hello, Kathlingram, I'm not sure I'm following you so I'll try to repeat back as I think. Most of your Welsh ancestors cannot be tracked back beyond colonial America, in Delaware and the Welsh Tract, PA? And you do have matches you believe lead back to Welsh emigrants or even Wales but you aren't able to use a chromosome browser to see what segments you share with some, at least the Ancestry.com matches? But some matches are at 23&Me and FTDNA (which do have chromosome browsers) - if so what chromosome and segments do you match? And how large are the segments at 23&Me and FTDNA? And total cMs with good matches at Ancestry? Sadly Living DNA isn't much help until they add matching tools or you could try uploading your LDNA data to Genesis GEDmatch but it's such a small database I'd save it for last.

And your paternal grandfather (unknown surname) may lead back to Wales?

I would keep asking your Ancestry.com (and 23&Me) Welsh matches very sweetly to upload their raw data to GEDmatch. Sometimes they're afraid to attempt something like this but I've had success walking them through the whole process, you never know - some may do it. They must understand this will benefit them in all areas of matching, not just with you. Anyway, if you can get some serious Welsh matches down to some particular chromosome segments on GEDmatch you could then pay $5 or so for a month to use the Tier 1 segment matcher to find more matches to that segment and hopefully some important new matches who can provide new information.

If autosomal DNA conclusively pointed to your paternal grandfather you might think of a Y-DNA test if you have a living male descendant available but I wouldn't do that unless I was sure he's your main Wales connection. Good luck with your searches!
    Last edited by Robert1; 09-14-2017 at 01:25 AM.
    Estimated ancestry drawing on Living DNA and family history:
    English 36%, Scottish 24%, Irish 17%, Welsh 16%, German 4.5%, Scandinavian 1.3%, Netherlands 0.6%, French 0.6%

Y-DNA leads to Isle of Skye then to Isle of Lewis, Scottish Highlands: R1b > M343 > L278 > L754 > L389 > P297 > M269 > L23 > L51 > L151/L11 > P312 > Z290 > L21/M529 > DF13 > L513/DF1 > S5668 > A7 > Z21253 > S7834 > S7828 > BY11203 > BY11186 (about 320-550 years old)

MTDNA leads to Glamorganshire, South Wales: K1a4a1a1

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert1 For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (09-20-2017), JohnHowellsTyrfro (09-14-2017), Kathlingram (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1bS21 - S11136
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2a

Hi I'm sorry I have only just seen your thread. I'm in the UK with a lot of Welsh ancestry. If I'm reading your thread correctly you haven't done FTDNA Family Finder. I think this would be worth considering because it's relatively inexpensive and you would have access to more testers results.
    I have found a few with Family Finder but also others with an apparent Welsh connection where it has so far proved impossible to tie up the paper trail with surnames like "Jones". There was a lot of movement around and into Wales during the Industrial Revolution period.. I think we also have to be cautious with terms like "4th cousin" because I think in some cases the ancestral connection could be earlier than this suggests and tracing ancestry even in the UK before around 1700 is very difficult, many people hit a block around this point it's not long after the English Civil War (which involved Wales), records not kept or destroyed.
    There is an interesting table in the link below. Good luck with your search. John

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Ci5jwQ8FkLgDQA

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (09-20-2017), AJL (09-15-2017), Kathlingram (09-14-2017), Robert1 (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
    Hello, Kathlingram, I'm not sure I'm following you so I'll try to repeat back as I think. Most of your Welsh ancestors cannot be tracked back beyond colonial America, in Delaware and the Welsh Tract, PA? And you do have matches you believe lead back to Welsh emigrants or even Wales but you aren't able to use a chromosome browser to see what segments you share with some, at least the Ancestry.com matches? But some matches are at 23&Me and FTDNA (which do have chromosome browsers) - if so what chromosome and segments do you match? And how large are the segments at 23&Me and FTDNA? And total cMs with good matches at Ancestry? Sadly Living DNA isn't much help until they add matching tools or you could try uploading your LDNA data to Genesis GEDmatch but it's such a small database I'd save it for last.

I would keep asking your Ancestry.com (and 23&Me) Welsh matches very sweetly to upload their raw data to GEDmatch. Sometimes they're afraid to attempt something like this but I've had success walking them through the whole process, you never know - some may do it. They must understand this will benefit them in all areas of matching, not just with you. Anyway, if you can get some serious Welsh matches down to some particular chromosome segments on GEDmatch you could then pay $5 or so for a month to use the Tier 1 segment matcher to find more matches to that segment and hopefully some important new matches who can provide new information.

If autosomal DNA conclusively pointed to your paternal grandfather you might think of a Y-DNA test if you have a living male descendant available but I wouldn't do that unless I was sure he's your main Wales connection. Good luck with your searches!
    Robert.. I am a surname Admin and Co-Admin for 5 groups at Family Tree DNA so yes I have done this.. One of the closest matches at 23andme who is not at AncestryDNA has chosen not to share his genome BUT at 23andme I can see that he does share an ancestor with two people.. and one of those shares with my newer cousin match named Griffith Jones who has shared everything with me..

I am aware of the segments that could point to a more distant match and that WAS the hypothesis I was following until about 3 weeks ago..
    The matches keep rolling in and they specifically point to an area in Caernarvonshire..Pwlleli and also Llanddeiniolen Caernarvonshire .. One close match who HAS tested at GEDMATCH said his great grandmother comes from just below there" Ann..born Barmouth, married Evan Evans of Welshpool, which is Mid Wales, but on the same train line, so she was likely in service" His quotes..
    Every one of my matches do match someone else..also at a 4th cousin size.. at least two are 3rd cousin size.. most go back to Caernarvon area which is NOT where my Welsh Tract relatives are from
    Also I try to get them into FTDNA or GEDmatch when I can..
    Thanks for helping..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post

I have no male siblings only Sister and myself and Dad was an only child.. presumably born to his mother and her husband who she married after his death.. he was a Norwegian Sailor.. I get NO Norway matches that are close and I should..FTDNA has an extensive Norway group which I belong to.. So NO YDNA

I have had several of the surname groups at FTDNA prior to 2012 which was when FTDNA first did Family Finder.. 2006 was the first one I had
    I was a BETA tester at 23andme in 2009 and a Beta upload at GEDMatch via John Olson about 2012

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    Hi I'm sorry I have only just seen your thread. I'm in the UK with a lot of Welsh ancestry. If I'm reading your thread correctly you haven't done FTDNA Family Finder. I think this would be worth considering because it's relatively inexpensive and you would have access to more testers results.
    I have found a few with Family Finder but also others with an apparent Welsh connection where it has so far proved impossible to tie up the paper trail with surnames like "Jones". There was a lot of movement around and into Wales during the Industrial Revolution period.. I think we also have to be cautious with terms like "4th cousin" because I think in some cases the ancestral connection could be earlier than this suggests and tracing ancestry even in the UK before around 1700 is very difficult, many people hit a block around this point it's not long after the English Civil War (which involved Wales), records not kept or destroyed.
    There is an interesting table in the link below. Good luck with your search. John

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Ci5jwQ8FkLgDQA
    John.. I absolutely agree about the early Welsh ancestors and they surely are a part of this.. I had mostly Welsh ancestors to my father' mother's Carrow line ( my oldest US Line) around 1730-1770.. but they do not seem to come from Carnarvonshire which is where these big matches come from..
    One definite line is Owen David who came from Maentwrog, Merionethshire, , Wales.. that is another part of Wales is it not? He is my 8th great grandfather and came by 1700.. he married a Mary Rees whose ancestors were from here: Manavon, Montgomeryshire, Wales
    They all settled in Delaware or Pennsylvania Welsh Tract and held land there c. 1710 ( Land grants were given to them via William Penn)

I have a Moses Jones who COULD come into US about 1725 or so.. he married about 1740 and his wife ( McNatt not Welsh) inherited property so I suspect he had some money
    he is the closest in time to me and I feel that he could not account for 150 Caernarvonshire 3-4-5th cousin matches

Thanks for the assistance

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (09-14-2017), Robert1 (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

What I think is.. that my "older" Wales ancestors as well as what looks like ones that are closer in time and track to specific ancestors of cousin matches DO come into my Ancestral make up..
    My father's mother had a bit of Welsh ancestry but her maternal line was 100% Irish so tah MAX Dad could have been, I feel is 60% Welsh.. I COULD be 30% but Living_DNA as well as AncestryDNA call it "North Wales"
    And I am heavily Irish.. more than 30+ % Several great grandparents on both sides born in Ireland c. 1860-1880..
    I DO have more Irish than L-D indicates but that shoudl resolve itself. BUT I do also have a Swedish 3rd Great grandfather and his wife.. he was born in Gotaborg Sweden and four 4th-5th great Grandparents who were Palatinates from Germany and Switzerland and Norway

Is North Wales pretty conclusively Caernarvonshire?
    Again thanks

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J1
    mtDNA
    K1a10a

United States of America England
    Carnarvonshire and Merionethshire were adjacent to each other in north Wales. HTH.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J1 DYS388=13 For This Useful Post:

Kathlingram (09-14-2017), Robert1 (09-14-2017)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast