Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Genetic Communities: Is there a time line till out of beta?

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I-L338
    mtDNA
    J1c1b2

United Kingdom England England North of England Norfolk Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    I think English midlanders and northerners is more like midlanders, they have another "Northern English" community also
    I would say that the English Midlanders and Northerners includes Yorkshire and Lancashire which is a bit further North than the Midlands. It seems to go up to Middlesborough in the East and about up to Penrith in the West (so includes a fair bit of the Lake District in Cumbria too) Genetic Community English Midlanders and Northerners.JPG

There is a Northern English GC as well that covers more of Northumberland, Durham, Cumbria, Scottish Borders as well as some parts of North Yorkshire Genetic Community Northern English.JPG

Of course, there is a bit of overlap between the Southern end of Northern English and the Northern end of English Midlanders and Northerners.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-05-2017), sktibo (09-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British, Jewish, etc.
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    H3

United States of America Scotland Ireland England
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Nqp15hhu: only a few hundred matches in Ancestry that is wierd, I'd have thought many thousand! Have you uploaded to GEDmatch? And how does that compare in numbers?

Chelle: on your OP you said you hoped for British regions. I recommend livingDNA for that and their price is reduced at present. We are very detail conscious on this forum (being pedantic helps in genealogy) so disregard much of the criticism
    Thanks, Judith. I did test with LivingDNA. I was hoping the genetic communities would list some similar areas as the Livingdna results to possibly add validity to each test result and narrow things down a bit.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chelle For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-05-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    Brother I-M26, I2a1a
    mtDNA
    H4a1a1a

Certainly genetic communities are still in beta: a week ago I had only 5 people in my northern and midlands community despite 5 confirmed local matches, none of whom were in my community.
    Now I have about 90 people including my matches so they either have a slow learning algorithm, revisit it periodically or they are still developing it.
    Either way it is better this week.
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 44% Cheshire, 1% Worcestershire, 1% Scottish (or Irish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Judith For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    110 in Ulster Irish and 37 in Scots, a slight increase of 5/7 for each but I would like more clarification on the Scots one in terms of area. My Ulster Irish has been divided into Derry, Ulster East and Donegal.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Got another match in Scots, he has no GB.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by kostoffj View Post
    All good questions, I would imagine that the answer for #2 is "however many they can sort you into." The key question IMO is #4. I was assigned one community, Germans in the Midwest, which was very accurate since that is the majority of my ancestry (~50%), and I thought it was interesting that the GC tests identified not only an ethnicity but the part of it that migrated in large numbers in a specific window of time to the American Midwest, which is a lot more interesting and useful result than the ethnicity estimators. But I also have significant Irish ancestry (~30%), who migrated here from Cork and Waterford in the 1860s - why didn't I get assigned an Irish genetic community? And will I? I would think I should, it's a pretty high percentage so I wonder why I didn't trip the threshold. Maybe I don't match enough people in the Ancestry database on the Irish side to register?

I also wonder if anyone's been assigned more than one community. I haven't seen anyone with more than one, but that's just my personal experience.

It would be nice to see some feedback from the company on where they are going with all this and address questions like mine and yours.

PS - your ancestry is very similar to my wife's. She's like 85% Appalachian hillbillies and 15% Ashkenazi Jews from Russia. She had no idea about her Jewish ancestry until she had her DNA tested, then we started doing research into her family tree and eventually found the ancestor.
    Does that mean that 1 of her great-grandparents was Jewish, or that 2 were partially Jewish?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1

United States of America
    They assigned my genetic community as Ulster Irish with a 60% probability but my ancestry on paper is half Irish and the rest English, probably some Scottish, and Alsace-Lorraine Germanic/French.

I think they use a different technology or algorithm for matching people to their genetic communities then they use for their ethnicity estimate. Anyway, average Ulster Irish is like 51.9% Irish while the average Northern Ireland Scots/English sample is 48.49% Irish. So the difference between them is less than 4%. I score 52% Irish , on AncestryDNA but is just an estimate it says my possible range of 'Irishness' is 36%-68% but myheritage has me as 35% Irish,Scottish,Welsh. According to AncestryDNA I am 52% Irish, 37% British and 6% Scandinavian with rest seemingly being statistical noise what is paradoxical or at least enough to course cognitive dissonance is that I am both simultaneously more Irish and more British than the Northern Ireland Scots/English :

If you ask me the difference between the Ulster Irish and Ulster Scots/English is like white on rice they are really pretty much the same people despite religious differences. I think when results are this close and current DNA testing lackluster at telling the difference between the Ulster Irish and British I should identify with my Y DNA. If my Y-DNA is more Northern Ireland or Scotland then I'll identify as Scots if it is more Irish then Irish etc.. problem is I only tested with AncestryDNA so the raw data doesn't seem to be able to pinpoint my Y DNA so I'll eventually have to purchase a Y DNA test. Promethease, MorleyDNA Y chromosome predictor and Wegenes all give me different results for my Y haplogroup :

Wegenes R1b1a1a2a1a2c1f3a1
    Morley Most likely : R1b1a2a1a2c1f
    Promethease 1 most probable : R1b1b2a1a2f Second most probable: R1b1a2a1a

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teutorigos For This Useful Post:

chelle (10-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by chelle View Post
    Questions...

1) Is there a timeline for when it will come out of beta?

2) Is there a cap on how many communities people will be given?

3) How many communities have you been given so far?

4) Do you think they will increase the communities given to people once it is out of beta?

What communities have you been given? I got Early Settlers of Tennessee and the Deep South and Jews of Central Europe. I was hoping to also get something to definitively tie me to a region in Ireland, Scotland or England. I really thought I would get something Ulster. Oh well, fingers crossed that they add more communities to individuals later if they apply.
    Anyway, sorry, I went a bit off topic. I won't answer all your questions I'll just say :

3.) I was assigned just one genetic community with 60% probability.

4.) I dunno, but I am not hoping to be in more GC's per se just to have my probability , of the one, higher or to be switched to another like Ulster Scots with a higher probability. I just want like 80% probability, at least, in one GC.
    Last edited by Teutorigos; 09-28-2017 at 08:02 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Teutorigos For This Useful Post:

chelle (10-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    I don't think the average Ulster Scots person is 49% Irish. We have established on here, that the Irish is a Celtic classification.

I'd be interested to see what percentage of your DNA is alloted to Ulster Scots as you should be able to pick that up in the Genetic Communities. I am only 30% Ulster Scots and I have been added to the Scots Genetic Community, myself.
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 09-28-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I don't think the average Ulster Scots person is 49% Irish. We have established on here, that the Irish is a Celtic classification.

I'd be interested to see what percentage of your DNA is alloted to Ulster Scots as you should be able to pick that up in the Genetic Communities. I am only 30% Ulster Scots and I have been added to the Scots Genetic Community, myself.
    The percentages they mention in the GCs are the probability you are a member of that GC, not how much of your DNA is in it. You can have high counts in more than one ie a tallied percentage of > 100%.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    GEDMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA), 9427684 (GEDCOM) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast