Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Genetic Communities: Is there a time line till out of beta?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British, Jewish, etc.
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    H3

United States of America Scotland Ireland England

Genetic Communities: Is there a time line till out of beta?

Questions...

1) Is there a timeline for when it will come out of beta?

2) Is there a cap on how many communities people will be given?

3) How many communities have you been given so far?

4) Do you think they will increase the communities given to people once it is out of beta?

What communities have you been given? I got Early Settlers of Tennessee and the Deep South and Jews of Central Europe. I was hoping to also get something to definitively tie me to a region in Ireland, Scotland or England. I really thought I would get something Ulster. Oh well, fingers crossed that they add more communities to individuals later if they apply.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chelle For This Useful Post:

kostoffj (08-15-2017), Mike_G (08-16-2017), sktibo (08-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    german/irish/english
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP263
    mtDNA
    H42a

United States of America Germany Ireland Switzerland Bohemia England
    All good questions, I would imagine that the answer for #2 is "however many they can sort you into." The key question IMO is #4. I was assigned one community, Germans in the Midwest, which was very accurate since that is the majority of my ancestry (~50%), and I thought it was interesting that the GC tests identified not only an ethnicity but the part of it that migrated in large numbers in a specific window of time to the American Midwest, which is a lot more interesting and useful result than the ethnicity estimators. But I also have significant Irish ancestry (~30%), who migrated here from Cork and Waterford in the 1860s - why didn't I get assigned an Irish genetic community? And will I? I would think I should, it's a pretty high percentage so I wonder why I didn't trip the threshold. Maybe I don't match enough people in the Ancestry database on the Irish side to register?

I also wonder if anyone's been assigned more than one community. I haven't seen anyone with more than one, but that's just my personal experience.

It would be nice to see some feedback from the company on where they are going with all this and address questions like mine and yours.

PS - your ancestry is very similar to my wife's. She's like 85% Appalachian hillbillies and 15% Ashkenazi Jews from Russia. She had no idea about her Jewish ancestry until she had her DNA tested, then we started doing research into her family tree and eventually found the ancestor.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kostoffj For This Useful Post:

chelle (08-18-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by kostoffj View Post
    All good questions, I would imagine that the answer for #2 is "however many they can sort you into." The key question IMO is #4. I was assigned one community, Germans in the Midwest, which was very accurate since that is the majority of my ancestry (~50%), and I thought it was interesting that the GC tests identified not only an ethnicity but the part of it that migrated in large numbers in a specific window of time to the American Midwest, which is a lot more interesting and useful result than the ethnicity estimators. But I also have significant Irish ancestry (~30%), who migrated here from Cork and Waterford in the 1860s - why didn't I get assigned an Irish genetic community? And will I? I would think I should, it's a pretty high percentage so I wonder why I didn't trip the threshold. Maybe I don't match enough people in the Ancestry database on the Irish side to register?

I also wonder if anyone's been assigned more than one community. I haven't seen anyone with more than one, but that's just my personal experience.

It would be nice to see some feedback from the company on where they are going with all this and address questions like mine and yours.

PS - your ancestry is very similar to my wife's. She's like 85% Appalachian hillbillies and 15% Ashkenazi Jews from Russia. She had no idea about her Jewish ancestry until she had her DNA tested, then we started doing research into her family tree and eventually found the ancestor.
    Not sure what the record is, I am in two and pretty sure I've seen people in 3-4. I am tracking the GC membership and match counts and they are growing nicely since it was first rolled out.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    GEDMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA), 9427684 (GEDCOM) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (08-15-2017), chelle (08-18-2017), JMcB (08-15-2017), kostoffj (08-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H24a1

England Germany Ireland Scotland Switzerland Cornwall
    I've been asking the same. I only got the Ulster Irish/ North Midlands community which only represents two or three people in my family tree. Almost all of my matches with overlapping individuals are German or colonial Maryland/Massachusetts/Virginia/Pennsylvania as are my 4 circles. I'm hoping it will just be one or two more matches and it'll recognize me as part of those communities.
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (08-15-2017), chelle (08-18-2017), JMcB (08-15-2017)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA
    J1c

United States of America Scotland
    Communities list: 1.) 95%- Scots, subgroup (60%-Scots in Central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland), 2.) 20%- Early Settlers of the Ohio River Valley, Indiana, Illinois & Iowa, 3.) 20%-Ulster Irish. 1&3, indicate the most probable fits. #2, haven't found any connection to date.
    Last edited by Amerijoe; 08-15-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Dementia

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

chelle (08-18-2017), JMcB (08-15-2017), MacUalraig (08-15-2017), sktibo (08-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by Amerijoe View Post
    Communities list: 1.) 95%- Scots, subgroup (60%-Scots in Central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland), 2.) 20%- Early Settlers of the Ohio River Valley, Indiana, Illinois & Iowa, 3.) 20%-Ulster Irish. 1&3, indicate indicate the most probable fits. #2, haven't found any connection to date.
    Intriguing to be in an immigrant group that predates your own emigration. But I don't have a single American in my family tree so in the same situation I would struggle to link everything up I think.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    GEDMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA), 9427684 (GEDCOM) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (08-15-2017), chelle (08-18-2017), JMcB (08-15-2017), kostoffj (08-15-2017), rivergirl (09-25-2017)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by kostoffj View Post

I'm Northern Irish and I was assigned Scots and Ulster Irish. Although, oddly I have no Great Britain ancestry, based on AncestryDNA.

I would think there would be improvements in the product with time.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

chelle (08-18-2017), JMcB (08-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany France
    3)
    two, Scots in Central and NE Scotland, and a French Settlers umbrella GC.
    4)
    I really hope so, I think they're playing it pretty safe with the GC's so far but it would be interesting to see a "Speculative" view or something where it takes a bit more risk in assigning us - noted of course that it's uncertain.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, East German or Eastern European 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

chelle (08-18-2017), JMcB (08-15-2017)

Registered Users

I think it all has to do with Ancestry's database. My dad is 100% Wallonian Belgium to 1650 yet he got zero genetic communities due to the fact that probably only a handful of people have tested from that area. I'm only 50% French Canadian yet I received that genetic community because over 50,000 French Canadians have tested with Ancestry.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

chelle (08-18-2017), JMcB (08-15-2017), Judith (08-22-2017), kostoffj (08-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    What does 20% really mean? Does that mean you have a chance of having ancestry?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast