Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H24a1

England Germany Ireland Scotland Netherlands Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    could be that your paper trail that you've been lead to believe is different from your true genetic trail....
    I think its more likely just more ancient origins dating back before 1500. Central Europe is fairly admixed, and most of my matches share a paper trail going back to the same regions.
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

Registered Users

It seems odd that France is categorized in the Europe West map. The average French person is scoring higher Iberian than Europe West. Portugal is actually part of the Iberian Peninsula, yet the average Portuguese person is only averaging 37% Iberian which is only slightly more than the average French person.

I think the labels are misleading and the maps might need to be re categorized.
    Iberian should be labeled Basque. Ireland should be labeled Celtic since Portuguese, Spanish, and French are getting decent Ireland percentages. Europe West should be a small map around Belgium since it's probably Gaulish/Frankish or Celtic/Germanic since English and Europe West seem to be interchangeable.
    Last edited by mwauthy; 08-17-2017 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Addition

It's a pretty widely known phenomenon for people with little if any known Iberian ancestry to get ridiculously high Iberian totals. I'm mostly Irish with a bit of German (Plus some Scandinavian that comes through my Irish ancestry) and I scored something like 5% or 6% Iberian. I can't imagine that almost any of it is real. Maybe I could be 1% or 2% Iberian but I can't imagine I'm 6%.

I should have gotten about 15-20% German on my test based on my family history but I only got about 7%. I assume that my test assigned what should have been German DNA to Iberia. My understanding is that the German government isn't allowing Germans to be tested for a base population due to the Nazi legacy. This is supposed to be resulting in problems tracking down people's German ancestry, as we have few genetic markers.
    Last edited by name1000; 09-06-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    typical American
    mtDNA
    A2

United States of America Cuba Catalonia California Republic Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
    It's funny, Ancestry gave me 10% Iberian and I have no idea where it comes from. I'm primarily, English, Scottish and Irish (approximately 88%) with a little Italian and German thrown in (approximately 12%). So I've been working under the assumption that they're picking up on an ancient connection between Iberia and the British Isles or they're just plain wrong.

In my case, their results only make sense if I go back a couple of thousand years and even then, it's a stretch.
    Is there a possible overlap between the DNA of Italians and Iberians? Or of the interpretations for the results of those two populations?

I have a lot of known Iberian (both on paper and via DNA @ 50%) , and have come up with some Italian results on some models (around 12%). I have no *known* recent Italian ancestry.
    Last edited by Trixster; 09-06-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-Y7198
    mtDNA
    H1

England Scotland Ireland United States of America Vatican Germany Schleswig-Holstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixster View Post
    Is there a possible overlap between the DNA of Italians and Iberians? Or of the interpretations for the results of those two populations?

I have a lot of known Iberian (both on paper and via DNA @ 50%) , and have come up with some Italian results on some models (around 12%). I have no *known* recent Italian ancestry.
    That might be a possibility, except they also gave me 8% Italian, which is just about what I should be (6%). They also gave me 5% NW European which is also a pretty decent fit, if I consider it as representing my German ancestry (6%). Beyond that, they gave me 38% Irish, 22% British, 16% Scandinavian, 10% Iberian & 1% Eastern European.

If I consider the Scandinavian as really representing the Germanic & Scandinavian input found in the British Isles - I am I-M253 - that would bring my British Isles numbers just about where they should be. Although, they would still be 12% short, which is just about what they gave to Iberia and I have no Iberian ancestry that I know of.

So the Iberian = Italian doesn't really work in my case.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

Trixster (09-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixster View Post

There is no overlap, because Iberian is basque component, the reason is because spaniards are not pure basques, that's why they score some Italian.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweuro For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-07-2017), Trixster (09-09-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123